2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (busa, BlackKnight, brennbaer, Animisha, AJB, aphexdisklavier, David B, 8 invisible), 606 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2481827 11/18/15 12:02 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I dutifully write down temperature and humidity on my invoices to get a sense of how the piano is responding to climatic changes. I've been thinking lately that it would be a better idea to measure the EMC (Equilibrium Moisture Content) of the soundboard itself. That should be the real factor in climate-caused tuning drift.

There is a lot of variation in price for pinless moisture meters. This one looks pretty good:

Does anybody use one to correlate EMC with the state of the tuning? Am I just being fanatical?? It just seems to make more sense to measure the actual moisture in the wood than the air (which can fluctuate a lot more within shorter periods of time).

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi Ryan

not sure what you are trying to pin down concerning EMC but most meters are not very accurate at the moisture contents you would normally find in a stable structure like a sound board. Anything below 10 or 12% as I recall gets fairly iffy to measure by electrical conductivity, though it is possible that there exists better tech than I am familiar with. A stable piece of wood in a 42% relative humidity environment at room temperature will be at about 8% EMC. That is fairly accurate for most species of wood.

https://www.google.com/search?q=relative+humidity+vs+EMC+of+wood&tbm=isch&imgil=P_Xp1nlD8FdeNM%253A%253BftoF3MeRkTMspM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fen.wikipedia.org%25252Fwiki%25252FEquilibrium_moisture_content&source=iu&pf=m&fir=P_Xp1nlD8FdeNM%253A%252CftoF3MeRkTMspM%252C_&biw=1536&bih=692&usg=__jOfWsTXU5Wjley3lELTeVGT05Fk%3D&ved=0CDAQyjdqFQoTCJSmvqyqmckCFQ0uiAodCPIIYQ&ei=zxhMVtSCDI3coASI5KOIBg#imgrc=P_Xp1nlD8FdeNM%3A&usg=__jOfWsTXU5Wjley3lELTeVGT05Fk%3D

This will take you to several graphic representations of wood EMC versus temperature and RH.

The other issue as I see it for now is that these type of pinless meters require contact with unfinished wood surfaces. This would require an unfinished sound board surface.

EMC is certainly related to piano pitch but the general/approximate EMC should be discernible from temp and RH with the understanding that EMC is a lagging indicator of environmental conditions. I doubt you could garner accurate enough EMC readings to be of any real use at the time of tuning. The bigger problem that I see here is that RH can change rapidly and vary widely in most homes and churches and do so on a daily basis. EMC will chase RH changes but it will be constantly on the move in most cases.

Now, if you are building soundboards and are establishing EMC for rib glue up purposes, you can use a good scale and determine EMC by oven drying samples for your conditioning box and then calculating EMC based on weight. There are other methods available that can give you an analog measurement that changes based on EMC. Both of these methods require time be allowed for the wood to condition long enough to negate the hysteresis lag of EMC as it follows changing RH.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Floating Index Finger
by DuvetJackson - 07/07/22 04:36 AM
Piano accompaniment Apps
by Johnmak - 07/07/22 02:54 AM
Free sacred piano solo :Holy, Holy, Holy
by dogperson - 07/06/22 09:40 PM
July Piano Bar
by lilypad - 07/06/22 06:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,839
Posts3,206,041
Members105,739
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission