2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (clothearednincompo, cygnusdei, chopin_r_us, brennbaer, CyberGene, Ben_NZ, Anna Helena, Alfred La Fleur, busa, 8 invisible), 774 guests, and 412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas

Agree. Most people who complain about playing to a metronome do so because they lack a solid sense of time. (I know because I used to be one of them. smile )

I disagree. I might agree if you say "most beginners who complain about playing to a metronome..."

Ask any intermediate, advanced and professional pianists whether they play/practise using a metronome. I doubt you can say most, and I doubt you can claim that they lack solid sense of time/rhythm.

Be yourself

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The best way to use a metronome is to sit in a chair - away from the piano - and work with the music by audiating it at different tempo speeds.

Everyone I know who has done this, after a short time, realizes the music is in you mind not in your hands, and finds playing along with the metronome a waste of time. Try it, and then let me know -

Enjoy.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by DakarDave

. . .
If you asked me a year ago, I would have said that "I'm an adult learner, so I'm not trying to be a concert pianist.. I just want to play it so I'm happy with it"

Its funny as you learn more the piano, you stop being happy how you really start to develop a desire to want to play it "correctly" smile

+1.

As your musicianship develops, you find that "playing it so you're happy with it" becomes the same as "playing it _right_."

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member
I finally had a listen to your recording, even if I'm not sure I have much to say as a fellow self-taught adult beginner. It sounds very peculiar to me, as it was played on a guitar, and it's quite fascinating, but so very different from the way it's written, extremely irregular and pretty weird, if I may say so.

Some interpretation is unavoidable and even desirable, but I am firmly convinced that we need to be extremely faithful to the sheet music for a long time, especially when we don't have a teacher listening and correcting. The paper is your teacher, you have to learn how to read and understand every detail of the written music, and then find the best way to turn it into sound. It's a puzzle you need to solve, provided you have the proper tools (which you can learn by gradually going from easy to harder material). Listening to other people's recordings (not by other beginners, by actual pianists) while reading the music is also extremely useful. We adults have our own ideas about the way things should be, but we need to be extremely humble here and just listen, most of the time. To others and to ourselves.

No offence intended, but with a post like this, you're kind of asking to receive the "get a teacher" comment wink

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by sinophilia

No offence intended, but with a post like this, you're kind of asking to receive the "get a teacher" comment wink

No Offence taken. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm glad to have this forum to "go to" to get advice, and all of the constructive feedback has helped me target my practice.

Thanks everyone!

S
sor Offline
S
may I ask how long have you been playing piano and how long have you spent playing this piece?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by DakarDave
Originally Posted by sinophilia

No Offence taken. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm glad to have this forum to "go to" to get advice, and all of the constructive feedback has helped me target my practice.

Thanks everyone!

Get a teacher.

grin

Seriously, though. Get a teacher.

Regards,

Polyphonist
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas

Agree. Most people who complain about playing to a metronome do so because they lack a solid sense of time. (I know because I used to be one of them. smile )

I disagree. I might agree if you say "most beginners who complain about playing to a metronome..."

Ask any intermediate, advanced and professional pianists whether they play/practise using a metronome. I doubt you can say most, and I doubt you can claim that they lack solid sense of time/rhythm.

I learned with a metronome as a kid, but stopped using it. It wasn't until college where a professor made me play to it. I hated it, but because my sense of time wasn't solid. I wasn't a beginner, but still needed to solidify my sense of time. I'm very grateful he pushed me to do it.

Now, I play to click all the time, both in the studio and often live as well. I would say that a lot, if not most non-classical music is played this way, especially in the studio. The players I encounter that complain about playing to click are usually those who have a weak sense of time. And if I meet a drummer who doesn't like playing to click, he's usually not working too much. But I come across tons of people who play music for a living that don't have a solid sense of time and complain about having to play to a metronome click.

Just my personal experience. I know those in the classical world may have different feelings about it.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best piano under 3600$ / 3000€
by PaJaC - 09/21/21 02:11 AM
FP-90 volume problems
by choppin - 09/20/21 10:15 PM
Pictures at an Exhibition: Yuking Chou Brandenburgh
by FrankCox - 09/20/21 08:16 PM
Roland FP30 Headphone/Line out hiss?
by Raf702 - 09/20/21 06:56 PM
Keybeds Korg SV2 vs D1
by David Izquierdo - 09/20/21 06:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,216
Posts3,133,886
Members102,783
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission