2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (AaronSF, c++, brennbaer, Beansparrow, anotherscott, BlaisGuitars, 20 invisible), 1,010 guests, and 503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sketches
I find I often get stuck on a few measures I can essentially play for ages though. Going through them again and again, trying to perfect them. I might be spending too much time getting small parts of the piece up to a standard I would perform for someone without moving forward. I always do polishing and re-interpretation once I have got to the end of course and I never play at performance speed until a lot of work after I have the piece 90% there.

This is a great way to learn pieces. It's the process I use myself and I work this way with students too. It means you learn pieces slower, but it takes much less time to polish them.
my problem is less with polishing the whole piece and more about progressing through it at a reasonable pace. For example, I have been starting Chopin Op 55 No 1 (my current stretch piece so I fully expect to spent many months overall) and I have basically been repeating the first few bars of LH only for a week as i am still not happy with the dynamics, tone and pacing. The RH is very simple here of course and I could totally play HT but I keep putting it off until I will be 100% happy with the LH. I think perhaps I should really be moving along in tandem to my obsessive practice on the LH.

What I have been doing sounds really stupid now I type it out laugh

To me, the process doesn't sound stupid at all. However, Chopin Op. 55 no. 1 may be so much of a stretch for someone who's only been studying less than a year, that it will take a very VERY long time to work through in a way that sounds good, and you may get bored or frustrated. (Those first 8 measures are the easiest part.)
Maybe try working in the same way with easier material for a while. You will probably find you get through pieces faster, and that your habitual caution helps them to sound good, so that you never have to go through a sloppy mistake-ridden stage with any piece.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Greener
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Be familiar with the whole thing before beginning to work on it.

Agree, but if I do this with anything by Chopin I would not likely start on many of them. He seems to always want to throw in a couple of measures which are a few grade levels beyond the rest of the piece. I bet he had a smirk on his face when he wrote these measures ... lets see how well you deal with this part grin. With Chopin, I figure if I can get the first page or 2 sounding nice I should be able to get the entire thing sounding nice and I'll worry about the extra hurdles later. Of course, they will also take extra time but are not usually insurmountable. If they have the potential to destroy everything else that I worked so hard for, then I guess it is a piece for further down the road.

That's so true, my first Chopin piece was Op 28 No 6 and there is only one measure where the right hand takes over. I mean it is not massively harder than the rest but it threw me a wee bit.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
So what do you guys do? Measure by measure perfecting as you go before moving on?

Never measure by measure. You end up wasting time on the easy stuff.

Fix the hardest measure first, until it's easy. Then the second hardest. You'll find most of a piece is easy after you've learned the hardest parts first.

Caveat: if the whole piece is too hard for you this doesn't work.

gotta go practice
A
A

So what do you guys do? Measure by measure perfecting as you go before moving on? Sight read the whole piece first? Roughly learn it all then perfect?

I feel like I am missing a trick here which is hampering my progress.

I just chime in. I'm a beginner, started July 2014, never played the piano before.
You're aware that the mentioned music piece from Chopin is level 5. I wanted to play Pachelbel Canon in D , level three, so I totally understand. You want to love what you hear.

I really think you just have to listen to yourself plus a little disciplin. I practice daily for one hour and on most days I start with scales. To loosen up so to speak. I play C, G, F, D major quite well now and work on B and A. I remember how slow it was at the beginning and how I had to watch the fingering. Not necessary anymore. I also practice chord inversions. If I dont feel like it I only practice music pieces. I mean I do my duty on technical stuff and it does help a lot.
Pachelbel was challenging for me at the beginning although the arrangement is really easy. I started with the most difficult measures. Again and again and again HS of course. This is the phase where you just have to do it and not think, just do it. Then the next one, or two or three. Again and again. Repetition in the correct way. and the memorizing just happens without any extra effort. Sometimes I put a piece aside and forget about it for a while.
This method worked for me very well when my teacher gave me Schubert: Sentimental waltz. When I saw the sheet music, well I thought I will never be able to play this. That was April this year and it's level 6. I can play it now, very slowly, still struggling with some of the chords, but it feels easier than the Pachelbel. Crazy. Sometime I just repeat many times a series of fingering to get it smoother. And it works!
I would really like to hear what you did with all this advice from here and experience exchange. I know it will getter better and better. Good luck for you.

Last edited by Akino; 11/01/15 05:05 PM.
M
M
I guess I'm in the same camp. I've been working on Mozart's Fantasie in D minor since basically June, and still haven't memorized the last page.

I can basically play it fluently until that page though. I think at some point I just get bored working on the same piece, and learning the score is still hard work for me frown Very sad state of affairs I guess. Effectively I have like 3-4 pieces in various state of incompleteness, because I keep switching to trying to learn something new.

August Förster 190
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Completed My 42 Week Pandemic Teaching Project
by tonystride - 06/22/21 03:41 PM
Kawai NV5 Users Group
by JBishop - 06/22/21 03:28 PM
Vax77 Folding Piano Review 2021
by AlphaTerminus - 06/22/21 01:12 PM
Recording an upright using ORTF?
by Beemer - 06/22/21 11:46 AM
Caution with cheap SSDs
by newer player - 06/22/21 11:08 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,655
Posts3,106,285
Members101,884
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission