2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Beemer, cygnusdei, clothearednincompo, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, Dfrankjazz, Alfred La Fleur, 11 invisible), 760 guests, and 420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
I assume others may be having this problem as well, and I would like your solutions/opinions. If music is under copyright but out of print, it seems that there is not a good option except for trolling used book stores and the internet--hoping it turns up. For those of us in rural areas, turning up scores locally is very unlikely.

I have also had this issue with music published in countries other than my own... just often not easily bought.. unless I buy an airline ticket.

Any thoughts?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
S
I bought a couple of music books (as oppossed to scores) which were out of print recently. I found the best way was to just try the usual sources, Amazon seller network, ebay and good old google.

You tend to pay over the odds if it is popular or rare but anything but the most obscure can generally be found through one of these sources.

Set up a search alert on ebay if you're after something specific.

Roland F130-R
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dogperson
it seems that there is not a good option except for trolling used book stores...

Do you mean trawling?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
it seems that there is not a good option except for trolling used book stores...

Do you mean trawling?

According to the dictionary
To troll: to fish by trailing a bait line

Of course you are well familiar with this definition eek

make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or exciting an angry response from them

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Do you mean trawling?

From the Grammarist:
Trawl vs. troll
Trawl means to catch fish with a large cone-shaped net. Among troll‘s several verb meanings is to fish by trailing a line behind a boat. Because both words denote types of fishing—albeit different types—they are often confused. This is easy to avoid if you remember that trawl is only a fishing term (that is often used metaphorically in nonfishing contexts) and involves a net.

Both words can be used metaphorically. Troll for means to patrol or wander about an area in search of something. Trawl for means to search through or gather from a variety of sources. Because these two phrasal verbs’ definitions are so similar, trawl and troll are often mixed up in these uses.

Of the two, trawl sounds like a better strategy, although for locating books that are out of print Interlibrary Loan or a competent internet search are more likely to be effective.

Learner
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

Do you mean trawling?

From the Grammarist:
Trawl vs. troll
Trawl means to catch fish with a large cone-shaped net. Among troll‘s several verb meanings is to fish by trailing a line behind a boat. Because both words denote types of fishing—albeit different types—they are often confused. This is easy to avoid if you remember that trawl is only a fishing term (that is often used metaphorically in nonfishing contexts) and involves a net.

Both words can be used metaphorically. Troll for means to patrol or wander about an area in search of something. Trawl for means to search through or gather from a variety of sources. Because these two phrasal verbs’ definitions are so similar, trawl and troll are often mixed up in these uses.

Of the two, trawl sounds like a better strategy, although for locating books that are out of print Interlibrary Loan or a competent internet search are more likely to be effective.

Interlibrary loan so you can photocopy? Thought that violated copyright.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

Do you mean trawling?

From the Grammarist:
Trawl vs. troll

Interlibrary loan so you can photocopy? Thought that violated copyright.

If it's out of print and you are copying it for personal use, then there shouldn't be any problem (there's a strong fair use defense in that situation).

If you publicly perform a piece that is still under copyright, that is when you can get in trouble.

Poetry is rhythm
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You should be able to get permission to publicly perform a piece whether or not it is in print. Check with Sam Fox, the licensing agency.

Semipro Tech
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I've often used the library - sometimes even my local one has what I want, but more often I go through their interlibrary loan process, and have had great results.

Another option to try is to contact the original publisher. I have heard that sometimes they will have some extra copies of an OOP score they will sell you, or will even make a one-off photocopy.

I understand there's also way to get photocopies made of non-circulating material from the Library of Congress, but haven't yet tried it. I don't know what their policy would be for copyrighted but OOP things.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This is a rather unfortunate situation. As a publisher and a composer I'm trying to NOT do that. I can't offer any legal advice on the matter really but the thing gets even worst with old software, that's no longer available and doesn't even work on newer computers! Imagine that tragedy (ok... I'm comparing classical music to computer software... kill me).

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
This is a rather unfortunate situation. As a publisher and a composer I'm trying to NOT do that. I can't offer any legal advice on the matter really but the thing gets even worst with old software, that's no longer available and doesn't even work on newer computers! Imagine that tragedy (ok... I'm comparing classical music to computer software... kill me).

It's great to hear that you are trying hard to keep music in print, but this is not the stance of all publishers. It makes honoring copyright frustrating if the solution is to try to contact the publisher (who may not even be in business) or to wait for an obscure find to show up. I noticed you did not comment on the interlibrary loan and photocopying. No thoughts on this?

Is it prohibitively expensive to print 'on demand' ? Inter-library loan and photocopying should be a legal option if the publisher will no longer provide a printed copy, shouldn't it?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

It's great to hear that you are trying hard to keep music in print, but this is not the stance of all publishers. It makes honoring copyright frustrating if the solution is to try to contact the publisher (who may not even be in business) or to wait for an obscure find to show up. I noticed you did not comment on the interlibrary loan and photocopying. No thoughts on this?
Thanks.

No, no thoughts on the interlibrary loan, cause I know nothing about this...

Same on the photocopying, which as illegal it may be, it stands to reason, exactly due to the reasons you have described already.

Is it prohibitively expensive to print 'on demand' ? Inter-library loan and photocopying should be a legal option if the publisher will no longer provide a printed copy, shouldn't it?
Print in demand is expensive, but it's getting less expensive every year (due to better equipment and better technology). It's the hassle, I think, that's the problem. Why keep in mind, or even in an online archive something that will be requested by 1 person per 1 year? The dynamics of something like this are bad for any commercial entity.

On the other hand, now with the digital files and e-books and stuff, this should be a piece of cake... :-/

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
... Inter-library loan and photocopying should be a legal option if the publisher will no longer provide a printed copy, shouldn't it?

It depends what you do with your photocopies and performances. "Fair use" has already been mentioned and what should or should not be legal is not relevant.

Are you looking for something specific or just grousing about the unsatisfactory state of things?

Learner
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
the thing gets even worst with old software, that's no longer available and doesn't even work on newer computers! Imagine that tragedy (ok... I'm comparing classical music to computer software... kill me).

You can often run older software in a virtual machine....download VMWarePlayer or VirtualBox, install the operating system of your choice, and install the software of your choice.

(For other weird software configurations, usually there are other weird options as well).

Poetry is rhythm
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
... Inter-library loan and photocopying should be a legal option if the publisher will no longer provide a printed copy, shouldn't it?

It depends what you do with your photocopies and performances. "Fair use" has already been mentioned and what should or should not be legal is not relevant.

Are you looking for something specific or just grousing about the unsatisfactory state of things?

"Fair use" from what I can determine does not even extend to photocopying for even home piano use. What is your source?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

I started this topic, because as I venture in other directions, I have found it difficult to find the music.. several instances of OOP.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Here's a relevant quote from the New England Conservatory's library website:

"One of the most common circumstances that discourages conscientious musicians from adhering to copyright law is their inability to purchase music easily from a music store or vendor. Increasingly during the past decade, publishers have been allowing significant portions of their stock to go out of print. Unfortunately, out-of-print status does not absolve one from liability when photocopying music that is under copyright protection. Every effort must be made to contact the publisher for written permission to photocopy music that is out of print."

So there you have it from a librarian's point of view - copying OOP music without permission is a no-no.

But, of course, as a practical matter, who will know if you did make a copy strictly for personal, non-public use? I am not encouraging you to break the law, but just pointing out the facts.

The problem with fair use is that the law was written so that it is basically a guessing game - you never know for sure if your use is legal until the courts have made a determination whether it is or isn't. Some kinds of fair use are fairly well established, but I don't know if anybody has ever been hauled into court over copying OOP music for personal use, to know how the courts might rule on that.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Thanks so much for the informative reply. Sounds like their might be a business lurking here somewhere for someone who is ambitious.

Unfortunately, this problem even extends to music published, still in print, outside of the US, as are often tangos by various arrangers. Not easy to purchase even still in print.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wr
The problem with fair use is that the law was written so that it is basically a guessing game - you never know for sure if your use is legal until the courts have made a determination whether it is or isn't. Some kinds of fair use are fairly well established, but I don't know if anybody has ever been hauled into court over copying OOP music for personal use, to know how the courts might rule on that.

Over a single copy for personal use? File for it to be moved to petty-claims court lol. Over an amount of money that small.....
the reason no case law exists to cover this scenario is because no one's ever been sued over it. Most copyright law is written to deal with large-scale infringers.....people who make bootleg copies and sell them widely. It mostly isn't written with small uses in mind.

Poetry is rhythm
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by wr

Over a single copy for personal use? File for it to be moved to petty-claims court lol. Over an amount of money that small.....
the reason no case law exists to cover this scenario is because no one's ever been sued over it. Most copyright law is written to deal with large-scale infringers.....people who make bootleg copies and sell them widely. It mostly isn't written with small uses in mind.

Yes, I realize all that, but it doesn't actually change the the law, unfortunately.

For musicians willing to break the law in order to get the music they want for private use, I think the most likely negative effect might be having a librarian stop you from making a copy of an OOP piece of music on the library's copy machines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain Pedal Use
by john fh - 09/25/21 02:13 AM
Insulted a Kawai salesman with straight talk
by Cristofori - 09/25/21 01:37 AM
Berg Sieben Früher Lieder and more
by MinscAndBoo - 09/24/21 08:47 PM
Free Books
by Larry Fine - 09/24/21 07:18 PM
Need help finding a piece (Streabbog?)
by cygnusdei - 09/24/21 06:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,282
Posts3,134,985
Members102,816
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission