2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
26 members (dorfmouse, johanibraaten, Frank Illenberger, BlakeOR, dhts, Guido, Roma - Italy, florhof, 5 invisible), 780 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hey,

So I recently got a Steinway Model K. It's beautiful and I lubs it. I should state first off, in case it affects the answers, this was delivered 3 weeks ago from London to Czech Republic and then moved up 5 flights of stairs. The front action was taken out to move it up the stairs. It has not since been tuned or regulated.

Anyway, I have noticed a little quirk. There is a certain point in the travel of the damper pedal where if I hit that point while depressing a key at the same time it sort of hinders the note and makes it die out. It almost feels like before that point there is sort of half pedalling, at that point is acts as a damper and after there is the full effect. Is this just a quirk of an upright action? Is this something I should have looked at? Or am i imagining things ? grin

Any advice appreciated.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Sounds about right.

MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not sure exactly what you are describing. It sounds like you are describing the normal effect of the dampers progressively engaging with the strings, which is similar on uprights and grands. Are you used to the way the pedal works on a particular piano, and notice that yours is different?

If the dampers are in good shape and properly regulated, you should be able to make the end of the sound less abrupt, with a short diminuendo, by playing a chord with the pedal held down, then slowly releasing the pedal. Does this work?

In any case, now that you've had the piano a few weeks, it's time to have it tuned. See what the tuner says about the dampers.

Steinway A grand (1919), Richard Lipp grand (1913), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
+1, I am also puzzled with your description

if you press the damperpedal such that the dampers still but barely hit the strings, they are indeed half-damped. You can also get twangy sounds, or short-sustaining notes. You can also hear this effect if you releas the dampers very slowly. The twangy sounds can be minimized with proper adjustment of the dampers.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
OP Offline
S
Just to be clear this is on the way down, not upon releasing and maybe to describe it better it's almost like it goes full damper, half damper, full damper, full open. That is journeying from no pedal to pedal. I guess I should just have it looked at. To be honest I may be feeling it wrong and I will try experimenting with positions to confirm. Also, it is not actually a problem it just forces me to be more careful which is a good thing.

MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sketches
Just to be clear this is on the way down, not upon releasing and maybe to describe it better it's almost like it goes full damper, half damper, full damper, full open. That is journeying from no pedal to pedal. I guess I should just have it looked at. To be honest I may be feeling it wrong and I will try experimenting with positions to confirm. Also, it is not actually a problem it just forces me to be more careful which is a good thing.

It shouldn't be working like that. That doesn't only force you to be more careful, it means that subtle pedalling tricks such as flutter pedalling become horribly hard to control.

It should be simply that the lower the pedal, the further the dampers are from the strings. Get a tech to take a look at it.

Steinway A grand (1919), Richard Lipp grand (1913), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MRC
Originally Posted by Sketches

It shouldn't be working like that. That doesn't only force you to be more careful, it means that subtle pedalling tricks such as flutter pedalling become horribly hard to control.

It should be simply that the lower the pedal, the further the dampers are from the strings. Get a tech to take a look at it.

OK great. Will do.

I am away from the piano at the moment but it has occured to me that perhaps my perception of this is due to the damper needing regulated and being set differently for different notes currently. That would make sense actually as if I play C first and progress the pedal as I move to say D and the D chokes it may simply be that the D damper is not set correctly whereas the C is. Ok that sounded confusing but I guess I can check that tonight when I get home.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
The simplest way is to look at how the action works and get familiar with it. It's not that complicated.
Just open the top lid and study how all the dampers are gradually moved forward and away from the strings. They should all move in the same fashion.
E.g if one of them is still engaging one string/s then there is a problem, but that can be adjusted.

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1, stopped at #77 and giving it a break.
Now done 1½ years of violin for a change, and back for some more piano.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by RaggedKeyPresser

Just open the top lid and study how all the dampers are gradually moved forward and away from the strings.

+1. Watch the dampers as you very slowly press and release the pedal. Is there a place where they move with a bump despite the pedal moving very smoothly and gradually? If so, follow all the moving parts, watch where they connect to each other, and see if there's an interface that's causing the bump.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,676
Posts3,106,737
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission