2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I played a Bluthner model 2 this week at an authorized dealer. I presume it's new or made in the last couple of years (never sold).

The piano was extremely hard to deal with; some soft notes were not sounding, even when I wasn't going for a pianissimo. And, I couldn't ever get a good fortissimo out of the thing.

The action just felt clunky. My experience with other top-tier pianos has always been that the instruments make expression easier and feel like an extension of your hands. This was quite the opposite.

This was my first time playing a Bluthner. Was this one just in need of a good action regulation and some voicing?

Bösendorfer 214(CS)-495 48311
Yamaha CLP-240

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by duncantwo
This was my first time playing a Bluthner. Was this one just in need of a good action regulation and some voicing?
It would appear so.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
It's true that sometimes the preparation on Blüthner 'out of the box' can be a little raw. They need a good technician to set them up. This has been my experience with Blüthner London. In the showroom in Vienna they are much better at setting them up before sale. Well, to be fair to London it's been a couple of years since I sat down in their showroom and played one of their pianos.

A Blüthner needs to be mellow otherwise it has an overbearing tone because it has a lot of natural power in it, so any clunk in the action, and hammers not well voiced, can actually make it feel like a horrible piano when it isn't - more so than on a Steinway for instance (that's why I single that issue out on Blüthner, when it's almost too obvious to mention that regulation and voicing make all the difference...)

YAMAHA Artist
OP Offline
Fair point, Carey. Let me rephrase: Are Bluthners known for needing more post-factory prep than other top tier brands? My experience with others (at a number of dealers) has been overwhelmingly positive. I've never played a "bad" Bosie, Bechstein, Fazioli, Shigeru, or Yamaha S...

Joe, thanks for sharing your experience.

Pity that dealers won't put the necessary prep in...if I were an uneducated customer and didn't know Bluthner from Brodmann (not knocking Brodmann here, it was just alliterative), I would've discounted this venerable brand from my experience.

Yamaha CLP-240
I have never heard of Bluthners needing more post-factory prep, and that idea seems contrary to the German tendency to be very meticulous about factory prep .... well, outside of VWs and their little cheat devices. smile

I have only played Bluthners at one location (in NY at Faust-Harrison) and it was sublime.

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
I have never heard of Bluthners needing more post-factory prep, and that idea seems contrary to the German tendency to be very meticulous about factory prep .... well, outside of VWs and their little cheat devices. smile

I have only played Bluthners at one location (in NY at Faust-Harrison) and it was sublime.

WELL..... in that case it leaves me with one conclusion that I hadn't thought of - that the technician working at Blüthner London at that time was really not up to the job.

OR Faust-Harrison prepare the pianos before sale?

(OK that's two conclusions....)

YAMAHA Artist
C
C
This is surprising, especially since I went to this dealer last year in October (not Faust Harrison BTW, which has stopped carrying Bluthner a few years ago), they did not want me to try the model 2 they had just received as it was not yet prepped.

First ever time when I played a model 2 was at Faust Harrison in 2007, at the time they carried the brand. It is the best piano I have ever played, I thought the tone to be supremely balanced and preferred it over the model 1.

Did you try other Bluthner models while you were there? This dealer had the huge upright S which I would love to try someday at well.

OP Offline
This was a smaller, satellite location, and the 2 was the only acoustic Bluthner they had.

Yamaha CLP-240
C
C
Apologies, for some reason I got thrown off and thought you tried the piano in NYC.

J
J
I have played all kinds of pianos that needed extra prep work..I also played a Fazioli right out of the crate,and it was ready for a concert.Played really bad Steinways in NY and then some great ones in Los Angeles.I was told that the pianos in LA were prepped for a few days..They were fantastic.
I played a Bluthner Model 2 in Vienna and it was THE best piano I have ever played.. I know they spent time on all their pianos..They had several pianos that were prepped totally different from one another..They had a model 6 that played really easy and a model 4 that played rather hard..The model 2 was in-between and by far my favorite..I ended feeling that these pianos are so good and they really respond well to a techs inputs..

Doubting the quality of Bluethner is missing the mark by a huge margin.
These are among the finest pianos made in Germany.

Instead the doubt should be directed at the dealer, not because the piano wasn't set up right. But because he didn't bother to tell you and - obviously didn't care.

Norbert

J
J
Hey Guys I just wanted to add this!!
I just got my Model 2 delivered to my house In NC(same dealer)
They brought the piano in its crate..The piano has been sitting in customs a week
and they just delivered it a few hours ago..
The piano is in concert ready condition!!!
It is actually in tune and the action is amazing!!!
I am thrilled that this piano is in my house!!!!
Joey

C
C
Congrats! Can we have some pictures?

R
R
Wow, congrats!! I played a Bluethner at Alex Hernandez's store in CAL. It has to be one of the best pianos I have ever played. Sublime.........

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Wow! Congrats Joey! Hoping you can post some video at some point!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mazl tov.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Vienna is one of the best places to buy a Blüthner - they have wonderful technicians there, and the showroom is run by a fine pianist, Thomas Neubauer, who is very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the product he is selling.

Did you order your piano from Vienna? Is that the one you bought?

Yes they respond beautifully to a technician, they are pretty much the perfect balance between warmth and power, and the model 2 is one of the best semi concert grands available. Well done, please take pics and post a vid so we can all be very jealous!

YAMAHA Artist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Who actually needs more than 7'8"?

Gorgeous piano. May it bring you much happiness for years to come!

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
S
S
I had a mixed bag experience with the pianos in Bluthner London a couple of months ago. Think some of them needed some attention, some played amazing, others I think were just ****** (before I put my flame suit I am talking of the Behemoth upright they make, felt like an oversized toy, the smaller one were MUCH nicer and the grands were fantastic)

Last edited by Rickster; 10/15/15 09:31 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language; this is a family oriented forum.
J
J
I think we can all have experiences when a great piano just doesn't measure up to our expectations..I went somewhere to try a Fazioli and I was not thrilled by this particular piano..But I have played some that were great..
Sometimes when a piano is settling I guess it can play a little under par..
What truly amazed me is how great my piano played right after coming out of the crate..just now is it starting to go out of tune a little..
I am beyond thrilled to have this piano in my house..
There is something very special about the sound of a Bluthner..
i don't know how to post pics but i have a few

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission