2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I hate to say this, but probably Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptu....

second that emotion laugh

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu is relatively rarely performed in professional recitals. So unless one regularly attends recitals by amateurs at their teacher's home I don't understand why one would get tired of this piece. Even then one would hear the piece only a few times/year. Just because many amateurs are practicing this piece doesn't mean one is listening to all those people practicing it or when they perform it. Of course, there are many amateur performances on YouTube, but I doubt anyone listens to many of those.

Likewise for Fur Elise, any movement of the Moonlight, etc.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/25/15 09:11 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
I've never heard the FI performed in a professional recital, and cannot recall having encountered it in any professional programme I read about, but didn't attend.

Whatever, I don't mind the piece. For Chopin it's relatively easy to play (and that is saying a lot!) and good on amateurs who can bring it up to performance level.

Jason
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The Academic Festival Overture. Dudamel, enough already!

Gary
For me I think the most overplayed pieces are:

1-Fur Elise
2-Turkish March
3-any movement of moonlight sonata
4-Fur Elise

Piano composer, Graphic Designer and Computer Engineer.

Check my latest Original Composition
Original Classical Music

Facebook Page
G
G
My piano teacher has had me working on Grieg's Notturno for weeks!
It's a beautiful little piece, but I've played it so many times that it's lost its charm. Hopefully I can move on soon.. It's a wonderful song and I would like to enjoy it again!
As for other songs, I seem to have been hearing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata all over the place. It's another beautiful piece of music, but it seems to be so cliched

Music performance major,
Part-time piano tuner
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I have trouble thinking of a classical piano piece as being overplayed. I did get tired of hearing Islamey mere seconds into my first listening.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Chopin... "Heroic" Polonaise, Fantasy Impromptu, Berceuse. UNLESS played by someone the likes of Zimmerman. So often done in a half baked manner.

Musica 71
C
C
Originally Posted by kapelli
Rachmaninov G minor prelude. Do not understand why it is one of the most popular pieces he wrote. PLayed it as well, and, never get any extimenet about it. There are much more nicer, like A major 32/9 or G major 32/5.

I am never tired on Chopins op.53 and 25/12.
However, tired of 90% youtube performes, who are playing A-flat polonaise, but they are technically and musically completely not there, and are killing everything what is there. Personally I would ban them lol.

80% of Clair de Lune are boring. It's extremely hard to find one, which is not boring. THe ideal one for me is Ingolf Wunder (heard it live, awesome).

Gaspard de la nuit - What the heck this thing is about?

Bach Chaccone is great, but hard to find exceptnional performance. For me Jorge Bolet hit the nail.

I actually really like the Rachmaninoff. Then again, I am learning it now an playing it for a competition lol.

1. One thing I hate listening to and even playing when I'm forced to is Fur Elise. It's too overrated and I remember one person thought he was better than me just because he could play it lol.

2. Moonlight Sonata (First movement). This one is just getting annoying now....

3. Ronda Alla Turca. See above. I do like the arrangement that Yuja Wang plays, though. I forgot the arranger.

4. Fantasie-Impromtu. Yes, it's harder, but it's still played too much. I remember when I was at a piano institute for grades 7-12 I kept hearing an 11th grader play it when I was trying to hear a 9th grader play Chopin's Nocturne in D-Flat Major, Op. 27 No. 2. By the end of that camp I never wanted to hear Fantasie-Impromtu again. I think two people played it there, and one did it in a masterclass.

5. Bach Invention No. 13. Easier and played to much. Simple and to the point.

But yes, I agree on the technically and musically part. I personally despise Lang Lang's video of it. It just sounds like he pushes the keys too much.... Clair De Lune is at least level 9 and sounds peaceful.

Last edited by colin_pianist18; 08/29/15 10:59 PM.

University of Central Missouri: Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance and Piano Pedagogy (2018)
University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory: Master of Music in Piano Performance (2024)

T
T
tired of hearing

fur elise
chopin ballade no 2 - in most competitions i do at least two people play the chopin ballade...

Last edited by tinyking12345; 09/12/15 03:04 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm most tired of fantaisie impromptu but that's mostly because I am on the tail end of learning it and I therefore have been hearing it multiple times a day for a not-insignificant period of time. And not played very well, of course, or it wouldn't be a piece I'm still learning.

Make it go away please. So I can go back to at least a moderate level of non-hatred!!!!

About to put Mozart k310 in the same category. Though this one doesn't qualify as being generally overplayed. Just overplayed from the narrow experience of my living room.

V
V
Originally Posted by colin_pianist18

1. One thing I hate listening to and even playing when I'm forced to is Fur Elise. It's too overrated and I remember one person thought he was better than me just because he could play it lol.

2. Moonlight Sonata (First movement). This one is just getting annoying now....

3. Ronda Alla Turca. See above. I do like the arrangement that Yuja Wang plays, though. I forgot the arranger.

4. Fantasie-Impromtu. Yes, it's harder, but it's still played too much. I remember when I was at a piano institute for grades 7-12 I kept hearing an 11th grader play it when I was trying to hear a 9th grader play Chopin's Nocturne in D-Flat Major, Op. 27 No. 2. By the end of that camp I never wanted to hear Fantasie-Impromtu again. I think two people played it there, and one did it in a masterclass.

5. Bach Invention No. 13. Easier and played to much. Simple and to the point.

But yes, I agree on the technically and musically part. I personally despise Lang Lang's video of it. It just sounds like he pushes the keys too much.... Clair De Lune is at least level 9 and sounds peaceful.

This basically.

I
I
Being at a music college......
Chopin:
Ballades 1-4 badly
Scherzo 1-3
Sonata 2
Etudes - Op. 10 No 1-5, 12 Op.25 No. 6, 10-12

Beethoven:
Anything that has a "title" ie Appasionata, Hammerklavier, Waldstein etc...

Liszt:
Dante Sonata
B minor Sonata

Rachmaninov:
Op 39 No.5
Concerto No.2

Schumann:
Kreisleriana
Carnival

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Incongruous
Chopin:
Ballades 1-4 badly
Scherzo 1-3
Sonata 2

Beethoven:

Liszt:
Dante Sonata
B minor Sonata

Rachmaninov:
Op 39 No.5
Concerto No.2

Schumann:
Kreisleriana
Carnival

Then you need to get out of college. laugh

Jason
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Incongruous
Chopin:
Ballades 1-4 badly
Scherzo 1-3
Sonata 2

Beethoven:

Liszt:
Dante Sonata
B minor Sonata

Rachmaninov:
Op 39 No.5
Concerto No.2

Schumann:
Kreisleriana
Carnival

Wait a few more decades, then it may be "all of the major works of all the major composers". At least, that is pretty much how it is for me. Of course, a lot depends on the performance, but even when a performance is remarkable and fresh, there is a large swath of the core repertoire that just has been worn threadbare for me.

It's unfortunate, in a way, but in another way, it is great, because there is such a vast amount of all the same old same old available in various forms, and knowing that I don't really NEED to hear yet another set of Chopin ballades by whomever, for example, opens up my listening time to lots of music I haven't heard a gazillion times already.

Just a couple of hours ago, this all played out very clearly for me. I was listening to Carl Nielsen's 2nd and 4th string quartets on a BBC Radio 3 "Through the Night" program. Now, THAT's good music that is not overly familiar to me - in fact, I'd never heard it before. But later in the program was a performance of the Rach 3 by Nelson Goerner, who I think is a very fine pianist, so I listened to part of the first movement. And, sure enough, he was doing things with it I hadn't heard before, and that was interesting. But then I started to get the feeling that life was really too short to spend another minute with this music that I had heard innumerable times already, regardless of all the marvelous localized detail in this particular performance. So I stopped listening, and felt a distinct sense of relief that I hadn't kept going.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by wr
Wait a few more decades, then it may be "all of the major works of all the major composers". At least, that is pretty much how it is for me. Of course, a lot depends on the performance, but even when a performance is remarkable and fresh, there is a large swath of the core repertoire that just has been worn threadbare for me.

It's unfortunate, in a way, but in another way, it is great, because there is such a vast amount of all the same old same old available in various forms, and knowing that I don't really NEED to hear yet another set of Chopin ballades by whomever, for example, opens up my listening time to lots of music I haven't heard a gazillion times already.

thumb thumb thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Personally, i'm never tired of playing any pieces, even the over played ones.

Pieces that I just cringe at when listening to student recitals include:

- Chopin's Fantasy Impromptu
- Schubert's A Major Sonata D.664 (Beautiful yes, but I participated in a competition where EVERYONE played this Sonata. I was the only one who played a different Schubert Sonata.)
- Chopin's Ballade no.1
- Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise, etc.
- Debussy's Clair De Lune
- Mozart's Alla Turca Sonata (Just the third movement, first is gorgeous!)
- And anything like Yiruma's River flows in you just makes me cry on the inside.

Honestly, it's more of a bad performance that makes me dislike hearing the pieces. If it was played wonderfully by Argerich, it would be a different tale.

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky."

- R.Tangore
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission