2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bach_ingMaddie, ambrozy, ando, astrotoy, BachToTheFuture, Bluesy42, 11 invisible), 1,117 guests, and 538 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice job on my foolish heart!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks! Where are my 500 hearts? LOL.

I've been having a great time with a lovely community on scope. Last night, one of the pianists gave me a lesson on Drop 2/4 voicings and Inside/Outside voicings. It's super when you participate and share with each other. Then it's a conversation.

I make it a point to watch to all the scopes of my friends/followers and they come back and watch as well. So it's been addicting. Like making new friends.

It's not as much fun as just a one-sided broadcast.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

I wonder if I can get this working on my tablet? that uses android and windows 7/8/10 smile

Many apps don't work on my mobile as I'm still running android 2.3 HAHA!! but it works so why change it?

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Newer android works. I wasn't successful making it work on older androids. There is actually a web version of periscope.

https://www.periscope.tv

But you can look only and you don't get to pick a stream. It's random. You also don't participate.

It's quite fun to do periscope. I'm fairly shy with this stuff and I'm getting comfortable. It's easier because you're actually interacting with people. The problem is I hardly play any piano. It becomes a chat party smile

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's very cool the stuff u post. Saw u tackling windows pretty good.
It's neat how much interaction you get.
There was a web app to watch any scope but they got a cease and desist and now that's it.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I couldn't believe how long I scoped tonight. I think 2 1/2 hours. I don't hardly play anymore. But the musicians follow other musicians and then it has become a sub-community within scope.

There's not that many that play jazz and I don't like to follow musicians who just play but don't interact.

I'll play at the beginning of the scope but before too long in turns into a conversation and a music chat. It started to morph into this after I made a commitment to scope every single day. So mostly I follow that. And that was what changed this to a completely different animal.

Think of the piano bar but live. It's been really fun. I'm not very confident socially but I've gotten the fear factor out of broadcasting. I do plan on what I will play and I woodshed before I turn on the camera. But then I let the conversations decide where it's going to go. Fortunately, no one is asking for requests...

Also because I have a lot of followers now, each time I turn on the scope, people sign in immediately when they get notifications. And then that brings other people in. It must be frustrating to try to scope and then get 1-2 people visiting. I get a range of 1 to 300 typically. But usually people move in and out. Since there are replay viewers, I've learned not to worry about the fact that there is no one there. Someone will see it.

My Jazz Blog

Seems a shame that is is android only and not windows too frown my synth sounds a lot better when running through the USB line in vs using an external mic on a phone for instance smile

I may give it a go later on however.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Initially, it was only iOS. And to be honest it works better on iOS.

The whole experience is mobile focused so it probably would be a different feel if you're tethered to a computer.

I've seen musicians hook directly the mic input on an iphone. I don't know how they do that yet. I only do a direct phone broadcast. I also have an ipad so I can talk. Can't look sideways while playing piano.

It's really hard to talk while playing (which is what I do). So I'm not trying to get to some performance level. Too distracting. But it's really fun.

I see many PW people have followed me so hope you drop in and talk. Maybe ask piano questions.

My Jazz Blog

Certainly, I'll grab the app on the tablet after my lesson tonight (if I remember) and sign up.

I very rarely stream online with other services, but usually they are windows based as the only drivers that work with the mixed audio/midi interface are windows/mac frown

I'll have to see how it turns out using the built in mic (probably won't be too great as my desk speakers are under the desk)

I often spend time listening to others play as it's rather inspiring and one can learn a lot just from listening, what time of the day do you tend to stream? since I'm based in England, one thing I do find problematic is time-zone differences.

Last edited by UKIkarus; 09/09/15 04:51 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
UKIkarus, UK is the hardest one to match with my schedule so a lot of my followers from there just watch the replay.

I tend to broadcast around 9-10pm California time (Pacific) so that would be 5-6am UK time. I get to watch UK folks near midnight my time, 8am your time on. So if you broadcast very late, I will have a chance to catch u live.

My broadcasts started off being straight performances initially, but I would say that now, it's more of an ice breaker. Then people just chat about random topics and I just play more like background music. My followers have become more like friends and they interact.

I broadcast every day so my schedule is predictable and regulars come in and hang out.

From personal experience, I have found that periscope is more successful as a two-way communication thing. People who just come in an perform (like I initially did), do not get a following. So I've learned to engage with the viewers. I also return the favor by watching their scopes. If you come in to scope with the idea of being genuinely friendly, people just get attracted to that and they come. It doesn't matter how well you play an instrument.

There are of course some super-talented musicians on scope. But the real successful ones engage the audience and become your friend.

My Jazz Blog

Well, I signed up and followed the folks on here... had a browse about at around 21:30 on the global stream page, for the most part it was pretty good.

The streams were fairly fast, didn't keep buffering or anything and there were a few people playing guitar and such, others streaming their driving, unfortunately there were also a few inappropriate streamers but hey, what can you do?

I'll see if I can find any of you online at different times of the day.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
I tried to stream and the app crashed frown

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jw,
U r an absolute master at entertaining the crowd. It's very impressive.
I might scope later tonight but it will just playing and not much taking. I doubt I will have more than 2 viewers but I d rather play smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Knotty. I did not know how to entertain a crowd! I just learned smile I also just start to know every one that drops by and a little musician community forms.

If I broadcast tonight if will be #69 for me so it's a gradual learning process.

You should do what's comfortable. I wouldn't worry about the number of viewers. You are guaranteed at least one (me) in either live or replay.

But pound out those 500 hearts man. It increases visibility (like FB likes).

If you guys do a broadcast, please note it here because sometimes it doesn't appear on the list, particularly in my case with a lot of followers. Periscope shows only the last 12 hours or so on my list for some reason.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UKIkarus
I tried to stream and the app crashed frown

Oh no! Android? iOS is stable. Older Androids don't work for me.

If you don't have enough space and you're saving your stream, that could be a problem too. Start out with not saving your stream.

My Jazz Blog

I actually have a Teclast non western Tablet, it has an Intel chip inside so can run windows & android (which means not everything runs perfectly as its x86 android)

It got VERY VERY warm watching streams, so warm in fact that it gave me a thermal warning (which it has not done before eek) so I fixed that up only to find that when I press the button to stream, it says "Initializing video feed" before crashing.

There is a newer version of Android available as well as a newer BIOS available which fixes some power consumption issues and Camera related issues, so I'll give them a go in the near future and see if it fixes it smile

Needless to say on the Android 4.4? it has now, it didn't like it frown

But then, I cannot blame the app as I have an unusual setup smile

Last edited by UKIkarus; 09/11/15 04:23 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
That's too bad UKIkarus! But at least interact with us on my scope. We have a great time just talking a lot of the time and I just play background music. It's a piano bar!

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>>If you guys do a broadcast, please note it here because sometimes it doesn't appear on the list
How do you share the broadcast after it's done?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
>>If you guys do a broadcast, please note it here because sometimes it doesn't appear on the list
How do you share the broadcast after it's done?

Go on your replay and you will find the share button. You can now share to Facebook and twitter. The share link can also be shared here.

Valid for 24 hours.

If you want to keep it permanently, set up an account with KATCH.ME.

My Jazz Blog

I will keep an eye on it for your streams smile of course being the weekend if you are available I'll pop by.

I'd love to give it a go myself but it doesn't like it as of yet frown

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Distance of Grand Piano from wall
by Damien PG - 06/19/21 11:20 AM
Insomniac pianists
by Emery Wang - 06/19/21 10:56 AM
First digital piano - F-701 vs P515
by Sebeto - 06/19/21 09:52 AM
Why do great concert halls buy new?
by Ppianissimo - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Kawai MP11SE successor thoughts
by Quatschmacher - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,601
Posts3,105,132
Members101,857
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission