2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
87 members (Azunyan, Abdol, Bill McKaig,RPT, 88/10, Anglagard44, Amiro555, Almaviva, beeboss, 20 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 95 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 94 95
C
C
One more question: do the home pianos have presets for grand pianos only? I would apreciate some upright.

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cleverson
One more question: do the home pianos have presets for grand pianos only? I would apreciate some upright.

I think there's a few uprights in there, but they're not based on the modelled engine as far as I know. Although I should say, don't quote me on that, I could be wrong.

Jay

Formerly in the business. Now just a piano fan.
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Dear Jay, thanks for your kindness on replying. To be honest, I don't know yet what kind of customer I am.

Firstly, I'm a classical pianist, though I don't give live performances often. My intention is to buy a digital piano to make studio recordings easier. Such studio may be at my own house, but once in a while (lets say once or twice per year) I may travel to other places, and would want to take my piano with me. So it should have some degree of portability, but not necessarily very portable.

Because I don't plan to give live performances often, I don't need to adapt to different speakers, so wouldn't buy a v-piano for that single reason. On the other hand, I have for example studied piano tuning, and I'd like to be able to customize the tuning aspect. Can you say if the home instruments have the same flexibility as v-piano regarding individual notes tuning, and unison tuning for example?

Also do you have any information on flexibility for controling all of the other virtual instruments the home pianos have? I mean for example, controling vibrato and other expression characteristics on strings and wind instruments. I actually may buy a separate midi controler to do that in conjunction with software samplers. Speaking of it, do you know if the home pianos have any midi controller capabilities, and what?

Thanks.

You can do individual note tuning, for sure, but if it goes to the unison level, I am not sure. I didn't dig that deeply. You have control over the character of each note (best as i can tell, its a 1-5 scale of hammer hardness and some EQ maybe but again I could be wrong.)

I don't know what kind of effects control you have, as I have seen an owners manual as yet.

I doubt that there will be very robust MIDI controller capabilities.

You sound like you should be looking at the RD-800 and not a V-Piano, or an HP/LX series. The RD-800 does everything you want.

Jay

Last edited by Jay Roland; 08/27/15 10:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

B
B
Jay, May I ask what the targeted subject/audience for each piano is? I know anyone could buy any model, but for example, is the LX7 or LX17 intended for concert use with their larger projecting speakers? If that is the case, then I can understand how the 605 would suit my home needs as I won't need to project to a hundred meters away.

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member

Last edited by CyberGene; 08/28/15 01:10 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by mwf
New video of the lx17 and information on new modelling here -

https://youtu.be/m9ULont8SbQ

Featuring Matt Damon

Hahaha, Matt Damons brother with Australian accent! He even says "fantastic" right in the first sentence or so!

And they'll do an in depth review in a while. Excellent!

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bananasushi
Jay, May I ask what the targeted subject/audience for each piano is? I know anyone could buy any model, but for example, is the LX7 or LX17 intended for concert use with their larger projecting speakers? If that is the case, then I can understand how the 605 would suit my home needs as I won't need to project to a hundred meters away.

I don't know that I could break it down by model.

The new HP/LX pianos from Roland are for a pianist looking for an uncompromising instrument, offering the expression and and power of a fine acoustic, with the convenience and affordability of a digital.

Jay

Looks very interesting indeed! Just wondering if anyone could explain to me what the key differences between the LX7 and the LX17 are?

Still deciding whether I am playing for fun or playing to improve... leaning towards fun :-)
2017 Feurich 218
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by mwf
New video of the lx17 and information on new modelling here -

https://youtu.be/m9ULont8SbQ

Featuring Matt Damon

As much as you can't beat sitting behind one of those things to try and experience the whole package, I realised that even more so when for the first time trying something different to what I own since I started, just for the fun of it to see how it compares, so a few weeks ago I had the experience of trying some higher end yammies, namely CLP 545 and 585 and then also assess how that compares to hearing a recording of same on the phones. With that in mind I do get a positive feeling coming out of the LX17 demo so far.

One thing that stood out though more so in the other promo video, like pianoteq the attack sounds have something, shall I say I am not sure until I actually heard in the flesh how much of a factor it would be, but overall I like.

The other aspect that strikes me quite a bit, is that there is something almost too clinical and clean about it, but given that these pianos are modelled and can be tweaked, I have no idea how much never having owned a roland, but the beauty of pianoteq is these things can be tweaked, and you can quite easily produce something a little bit more muddy, and add subtle irregularities if so desired to give it that little bit more character.

I don't know if that can be done on these models or not, for sure I do like what I hear so far smile , but then what do I know, just what pleases my ear grin

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 08/28/15 10:58 AM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The audio distorts in certain places but an example is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B6QIH676OA

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by HwyStar
The audio distorts in certain places but an example is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B6QIH676OA

Thanks for sharing the link! Sounds like real progress in string resonance. Impressive.

They need to get a better mic, tho...

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
What I'm really interested in knowing is how it sounds through the external speakers. In these youtube videos and the promotional videos, quite often it is the digital recording you are listening to, which always sounds good. Not really sure what we are listening to in these videos, since they are clearly edited for the store's promotion. In the second video, they are playing it with the lid closed, which leads me to think the recording is digital. Looks very interesting though.

Last edited by Grandman; 08/28/15 01:59 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
Mason and Hamlin BB
C
C
For those looking for performance in a small yet stylish package, when can we expect the new sound engine and keyboard to make it to the DP series?

Thanks

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chewbacca
For those looking for performance in a small yet stylish package, when can we expect the new sound engine and keyboard to make it to the DP series?

Thanks

I am not sure Chewie.

If it ever happens and is officially announced, I will make sure to share it here.

Jay

G
G
Hello everybody,

I have some questions for Jay and would like to share some comments on the new LX / HP line.

First off, that's a question I already asked but I think you missed it because you were on vacation at that time.

1) Is the full midi signal sent to connected devices through bluethooth ? The spec sheet states "MIDI, Turning music sheet: Bluetooth Ver 4.0 (Bluetooth LE)", the videos take Pia's turning page with the pedal as an example, so it's not clear to me what exactly is supported over bluetooth.

To be honest I think that if the full midi signal is sent through Bluetooth, it's kind a revolution. Tablets are obviously the best "partner" for that kind of home piano; having midi over bluetooth would make it interesting to develop new kind of "piano partner" apps that were not reasonnable to develop before because of the "bulkyness" of needing to have a computer with midi cable nearby, with proper sound card and so on.

Also, do you know if there is any developper documentation available for this feature ?
At last, you are "opening up" to the developper world and let me tell you, it was about time.

That was from the developper point of view.

2) Is the ten years waranty kept for all the new models, worldwide ? It seems to be in Australia, do you know if it will be the case in Europe too ?

Now onto some comments on the new pianos. To me PHA4 felt too light, I really hope this feeling will disappear whith the new PHA50.

One thing that I think is obvious from the videos is that the sound is amazingly life-like. It sounds like a Bechstein or a steinway, but for a fraction of the price ! I suppose complete string resonnance is the key to this.

I have been thinking lately that this whole sampling / modeling technological difference reminds me of the 2D / 3D (D for dimensions) gap that occured in the video gaming world. Today almost every game is built on 3D engines, because it's utterly superior to 2D engines.
The difference is that at the beginning, 3D games were ugly compared, while Rolands new pianos sound much more realistically than any sampling digital piano ever realeased. I suppose that technology has come to maturity with these new releases.
3D was the way to go back then, and modeling is the way to go today in the digital piano industry. Good luck to Kawai and Yamaha with their sales figures is they don't embrace it really fast ...

I am eager to try the LX17 by myself; i have always had an accoustic piano at home and a digital one, because silent pianos never satisfied me (both accoustically and silently), and now it really looks like the instrument that can unite the two in my house may be a digital one! Well done Roland.

Now, let's compare "la campanella" played on a steinway concert grand and LX17 by Miyuji Kaneko:
- LX17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJP65EMK50
- Steinway Concert Grand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d36xHtlZQU

Wich one do you prefer ?

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Gael C

One thing that I think is obvious from the videos is that the sound is amazingly life-like. It sounds like a Bechstein or a steinway, but for a fraction of the price ! I suppose complete string resonnance is the key to this.

Noone other than Jay actually knows what the LX17 actually sounds like live. We also don't know if these are digital sound recordings (which always sound good) or from an actual mic. Youtube videos are not accurate. Here is the previous model LX15 with the same guy in the current videos. The video of the LX15 sounds very much the same as the LX17 video (See beginning and at 4:40 for LX15). So, you can't simply rely on youtube for an accurate representation of the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnWtOaAM0BU

Last edited by Grandman; 08/28/15 07:14 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
Mason and Hamlin BB
C
C
Thank you Jay for the RD-800 suggestion. Seems great, but... The owners manual doesn't mention half pedaling. Is it really not supported?

Another parameter missing from RD-800 appears to be the decay time adjustment, which might be important when a given tone decays too shortly. Do the new home pianos have it?

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gael C
Hello everybody,

I have some questions for Jay and would like to share some comments on the new LX / HP line.

First off, that's a question I already asked but I think you missed it because you were on vacation at that time.

1) Is the full midi signal sent to connected devices through bluethooth ? The spec sheet states "MIDI, Turning music sheet: Bluetooth Ver 4.0 (Bluetooth LE)", the videos take Pia's turning page with the pedal as an example, so it's not clear to me what exactly is supported over bluetooth.

Also, do you know if there is any developper documentation available for this feature ?
At last, you are "opening up" to the developper world and let me tell you, it was about time.

That was from the developper point of view.

2) Is the ten years waranty kept for all the new models, worldwide ? It seems to be in Australia, do you know if it will be the case in Europe too ?

Answers to your questions...

I don't know the length and breadth of the MIDI functionality over bluetooth. It's early days yet. I know that PiaScore and SheetMusic Direct will play the included MIDI file using the piano engine on board. And as you mentioned, turning pages using the built in pedals. Beyond that I am not sure.

I sincerely doubt that Developer Kits will be made available for the new pianos. But again, I cannot say for sure. i would assume that I am correct though.

The ten year warranty is dependent on country. I cannot speak for every branch of Roland worldwide as each will take a different stance on this I think.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Last edited by Jay Roland; 08/28/15 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Jay for the RD-800 suggestion. Seems great, but... The owners manual doesn't mention half pedaling. Is it really not supported?

Another parameter missing from RD-800 appears to be the decay time adjustment, which might be important when a given tone decays too shortly. Do the new home pianos have it?

Half pedalling is 100% supported on the RD-800.

Decay time is not adjustable on the RD-800 and as far as I can tell, not on the new HP/LX pianos either.

The new HP/LX Pianos have very long natural decays. I am not surprised to see that parameter not included.

Jay

Last edited by Jay Roland; 08/28/15 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling

C
C
Thanks, I'm going to look for an RD-800 near me to try it, and the home models as well assuming they have already come to Brazil. In case RD-800 also has a natural decay, then it may be my choice...

Page 11 of 95 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 94 95

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A little matter of perspective
by Adagiette - 08/03/21 04:21 PM
Recording ES520 with line outs... gain too low!
by mk_tor_20 - 08/03/21 04:02 PM
ear training
by 24000rpm - 08/03/21 03:42 PM
Digital piano or Keyboard with the best piano sound
by Riccardo92 - 08/03/21 03:32 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,358
Posts3,118,871
Members102,316
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission