2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (Beansparrow, c++, An Old Square, accordeur, BravoRomeo, 36251, 15 invisible), 695 guests, and 512 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Thank for your answer. I'm not sure I get the point of being capable of only receiving continuous data though... (I don't know much about MIDI controllers.) Does it mean that the pedal the PX 760 comes with has only half-damper (and not continuous) but that I can possibly replace it with a continuous pedal if I feel like it?

Thanks again
Martin

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You're over-thinking it. It's just a pedal. If the PX760 comes with a pedal, use it. If Casio offers one as an option/extra, buy it and use it.

The pedal is important, but the difference between one pedal and another pedal is small. Everything else about the piano matters more.

M
M
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I've never noticed any clamor for micro-damper effects. Yet it seems easy enough to deliver such drivel.

But meaningful improvements remain untouched ... witness the dismal sounds from most pianos vs. the high quality sound widely available in piano software. So, they're damned because they don't do.

I've never noticed much clamour, either - yet when people make these fatuous lists comparing all these supposedly subtle, yet hugely essential - yet it would appear, mere triviality and fluff - it tends to be one of the things listed.

As to sound, I'd say the sound has improved over the years / generations of digital pianos I've seen. But like everything else - budget and price point rule. Cheaper / entry level stuff tends to have minimal on-board stuff - but sounds just peachy using headphones.

I'd go as far as to say I don't hear dismal sound from contemporary digital pianos. Not perfect, perhaps, could be improved - perhaps always - but not what I'd describe as dismal - I think that's just hyperbole.

Coming a little late to the discussion. Regarding half pedal vs. continuous pedal and whether or not it's perceived: when a DP manufacturer says it supports half-pedal, does that mean it has a value at 0 (off), 64(half), 127 (full)? Would that not mean that one has to be at a very precise, exact place in order to get half pedal or risk it being off/on? Or is it a range within which one achieves the half-pedal effect?

If it's a precise thing, then I definitely see the value in continuous pedal which would be much more forgiving.

Also, for advanced classical playing, there are some teachers out there who support 10 different positions of pedal. I am not one of them. However, I support the idea of using your ears to determine how much pedal is needed. Therefore having a continuum of values is definitely more desirable.

Is this a common need? I don't know how many advanced classical pianists are into digitals, but I think a growing number of us are finding the value in being able to practice silently or those with budget/room size constraints are finding this as a viable solution now. With the advancement in actions and sound, I believe the market has expanded more to include those who perhaps would have rather go without than to play some of the older DPs.

All this to say, I do think there has been some "clamor" for it. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It's a range. When the pedal position reaches a threshold, the piano transmits the pedal value associated with that threshold. When it reaches the next threshold, the piano transmits the next pedal value. That applies both on the way down and on the way up.

So a half-pedal's data value is at 0 for part of its uppermost range of motion ... at 64 for part of its middle range ... and at 127 in a small range near the bottom.

M
M
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It's a range. When the pedal position reaches a threshold, the piano transmits the pedal value associated with that threshold. When it reaches the next threshold, the piano transmits the next pedal value. That applies both on the way down and on the way up.

So a half-pedal's data value is at 0 for part of its uppermost range of motion ... at 64 for part of its middle range ... and at 127 in a small range near the bottom.

OK, thanks for clarifying. I think that for most people, this would be sufficient. But it is a marketing tool, as mentioned before, the higher number/bigger is better mentality. I fall in this category as well, of course. If comparing two models in the same price range, if one has more of something or seemingly better specs in something that means it's a better value regardless of whether or not that spec can actually be perceived in any way.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
T
Martin, it appears the pedal the PX comes with works exactly the way Mac³ describes. I wouldn't expect to be able to replace it with a fully continuous model, not even one from the same maker (although I wouldn't go so far as to rule out the possibility entirely).

Honestly, I really wouldn't worry too much about the pedal; the instrument's sound and the precision and feedback of the keyboard action should be considered more important. That said, the F20 comes with a fully continuous pedal and -- in my opinion -- the best keyboard at the price level, although I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the Casios.

I second the feel of the F-20. To my unexperienced fingers/hands it felt quite natural, more than the P-115 that was in the same place.

In the end though, I went for the Casio but besides having a great keybed, it won out on many other aspects, keybed not necessarily being one of them.

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Steinberg UR22, KRK RP6 G2, JBL LSR305
Guitar, mandolin and banjo player, hobbyist producer.
on YouTube
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,276
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission