2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 47 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 46 47
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Isabelle,

'Crawl'.......funny... grin

21 June
After the suites of Händel yesterday......today some Suites of Böhm...... 3hearts

There is too much nice music to play in one life confused sick confused

Böhm

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Johan B
Isabelle,

21 June
After the suites of Händel yesterday......today some Suites of Böhm...... 3hearts

Böhm

Yes, Johann, crawl!!! I'm going to Havana, Cuba this December. My mother was born there. So, I have decided to research piano compositions by early Cuban composers. Maybe it's in my DNA!!!

Best regards,
Johan B

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
[b][/b]I have just discovered Ernesto Lecuona, a cuban composer, in my search for contemporary composers to play. Below is a link to his recording of Malaguana, which is not as daunting as it sounds.. but I love how it makes me want to learn flamenco dancing.Others in this Suite are on my 'to do' list as I am huge fan of Cuban music.

Yes, I practiced it today, as well the ubiquitous Mozart and Liszt "Romance" (s169).

Think my list won't change much for awhile, except to add some things I can play as church preludes. I have volunteered for one Sunday a month. Today, I worked on finding 15 minutes of patriotic solos for July 5, practiced them enough to know they will work. Will practice daily as well until the 5th. 15 minutes just feels daunting, since I don't have a huge repertoire and a lot is therefore new.

Johan, I am impressed you are working on this much .. my head would explode! I was working on a Bach piece but couldn't handle Bach and Mozart at the same time.

Lecuona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ksNyyuViQ

Last edited by dogperson; 06/21/15 11:58 PM.
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dogperson
I have just discovered Ernesto Lecuona, a cuban composer, in my search for contemporary composers to play. Below is a link to his recording of Malaguana, which is not as daunting as it sounds.. but I love how it makes me want to learn flamenco dancing.Others in this Suite are on my 'to do' list as I am huge fan of Cuban music.

What a fabulous piece, and sounds difficult. Please post a recording of this. I too am a fan of Spanish, South American, Cuban music. Today I've been working on Piazzolla's Milango del Angel.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
My late son played Malagueña beautifully. It will forever be his music.

I have purchased and downloaded three pieces by Lecuona and plan to work on them.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

What a fabulous piece, and sounds difficult. Please post a recording of this. I too am a fan of Spanish, South American, Cuban music. Today I've been working on Piazzolla's Milango del Angel. [/quote]

Sigh, I have just started on Malaguena, so a recording from me will be awhile coming.. Really, the music looks and sounds more daunting than it is: a lot of chord inversion that are repetitive. today I discovered Piazzollo's Angel Suite , and will start with Milango del Angel... eventually. It's great to know someone else is focused on it.

My piano teacher asked me to look at more modern music as I have been so focused on Mozart and Chopin (obsessed?). I am so glad I have found Lecuona and Piszzollo, as it will be a good compromise that will make both of us happy. Some modern music hurts my ears and makes me literally wince at the chord structure.

So much music.... so little time...my 'to do' list grows and grows

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Isabelle1949
Isabelle,

21 June

Böhm

Yes, Johann, crawl!!! I'm going to Havana, Cuba this December. My mother was born there. So, I have decided to research piano compositions by early Cuban composers. Maybe it's in my DNA!!!

Best regards,
Johan B

Isabelle, that is a really interesting thing to do and I wish I could do the same.
I've watched everything available in Cuban music on YouTube, and many of those videos several times.
They have, and have had incredible amateur musicians there and a way to communicate directly by singing to each other instead of speaking.
After the sanctions/oppression are lifted many of these unique things will become commercialized and change.
So I'd say, don't wait too long to go there and experience it.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by RaggedKeyPresser
Isabelle,

21 June

Böhm

Best regards,
Johan B

Isabelle, that is a really interesting thing to do and I wish I could do the same.
I've watched everything available in Cuban music on YouTube, and many of those videos several times.
They have, and have had incredible amateur musicians there and a way to communicate directly by singing to each other instead of speaking.
After the sanctions/oppression are lifted many of these unique things will become commercialized and change.
So I'd say, don't wait too long to go there and experience it.

I have been to Cuba twice, the last time was almost 60 years ago. We are going as a group with New Orleans' Preservation Hall Jazz Band. The band will be delivering music instruments to school children an will perform at the Havana Jazz Festival. Cost is a lot more than we would normally consider for a vacation, but if we wait it will be too late.

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
22 June

Today I listened in my car to a classic radiochannel playing some Keyboard sonata of Carl Philip Emanuel Bach, The Berlin Bach.....nice

Two hours of scrolling and playing the keyboard sonatas of CPE Bach nice but heavy.... CPE Bach

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
CPE Bach Solfeggietto many years ago! Today attempted Andalusia by Ernesto Lecuona. Not hard, but there is a five note group of 16ths between quarter notes and I am working on the best fingering since the highest is an F# and for any speed the thumb needs to play it . The grouping is similar to a turn. Also worked on a piece by Domenico Zipoli. That is a nice one.

Really want to branch out but it is hard to get away fro classical rhythms.

B
B
If people are interested in intermediate-level Latin-style pieces, don't forget Spanish composers - Albéniz's Tango and Asturias (really fun to play!), Granada's Valses poeticos, etc.

And Ginastera's Danza de la moza donosa from his 3 Argentinian Dances is lovely. For a Cuban composer, Ignácio Cervantes's Danzas Cubanas are worth looking at (most aren't too difficult).

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
I have just discovered Ernesto Lecuona, a cuban composer, in my search for contemporary composers to play. Below is a link to his recording of Malaguana, which is not as daunting as it sounds.. but I love how it makes me want to learn flamenco dancing.Others in this Suite are on my 'to do' list as I am huge fan of Cuban music.

What a fabulous piece, and sounds difficult. Please post a recording of this. I too am a fan of Spanish, South American, Cuban music. Today I've been working on Piazzolla's Milango del Angel.

If you decide to try Malaguena, I suggest you not use the version available for download on the internet.. I did at first, but received the published, printed version today and found a few errors in the internet one. Better now than later. eek

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
[b][/b]I have just discovered Ernesto Lecuona, a cuban composer, in my search for contemporary composers to play. Below is a link to his recording of Malaguana, which is not as daunting as it sounds.. but I love how it makes me want to learn flamenco dancing.Others in this Suite are on my 'to do' list as I am huge fan of Cuban music.

Yes, I practiced it today, as well the ubiquitous Mozart and Liszt "Romance" (s169).

Think my list won't change much for awhile, except to add some things I can play as church preludes. I have volunteered for one Sunday a month. Today, I worked on finding 15 minutes of patriotic solos for July 5, practiced them enough to know they will work. Will practice daily as well until the 5th. 15 minutes just feels daunting, since I don't have a huge repertoire and a lot is therefore new.

Johan, I am impressed you are working on this much .. my head would explode! I was working on a Bach piece but couldn't handle Bach and Mozart at the same time.

Lecuona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ksNyyuViQ

Thanks for that link. Glad to hear Andalucia played by the composer. It opens with a quarter note, followed by (5) 16ths that make a turn, followed by a quarter note. When listening to his left hand I cannot hear the turn at all, sounds like a quick strummed arpeggio. Been working it myself and just doesn't sound right from the printed music. You can view the first page of this piece easily on yahoo, probably on google too.

Help anyone!!! Your input appreciated.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
If people are interested in intermediate-level Latin-style pieces, don't forget Spanish composers - Albéniz's Tango and Asturias (really fun to play!), Granada's Valses poeticos, etc.

And Ginastera's Danza de la moza donosa from his 3 Argentinian Dances is lovely. For a Cuban composer, Ignácio Cervantes's Danzas Cubanas are worth looking at (most aren't too difficult).

Thanks for those! What about Astor Piazzola? Where would you put his pieces on terms of difficulty. I noticed there's a book out on his pieces and I've always wanted to play Libertango.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Just worked the left hand on Andalucia. I think I am getting it! Fingering of the (5) 16ths requires a thumb cross over before the turn. Practicing earlier was hard, as fingers were not wanting to move fast. This practice was much better. That little idea throughout the piece has a strumming quality.

Bach BWV Anh. 87 for sight reading. It's pretty easy no sounds nice.
Zipoli, Retirada del Emperor de Los Dominicos de Espana for sight reading. It is also pretty easy and has a good sound. Not marked Allegro or Andante, but based on the title that could do either way. Translated, the title is, the retreat of the emperor of Spain.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Groove On

Thanks for those! What about Astor Piazzola? Where would you put his pieces on terms of difficulty. I noticed there's a book out on his pieces and I've always wanted to play Libertango.

I am never good at assessing the difficulty level for someone else, because we all have individual strengths and weaknesses..
here is a link to a preview from Sheet Music Plus. Go for it! as methodically as you need to based on where you are

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/libertango-digital-sheet-music/20075380

B
B
Originally Posted by Groove On

I am never good at assessing the difficulty level for someone else, because we all have individual strengths and weaknesses..
here is a link to a preview from Sheet Music Plus. Go for it! as methodically as you need to based on where you are

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/libertango-digital-sheet-music/20075380

I don't think any of Piazzolla's tangos were composed for solo piano, so all the scores you see are arrangements - he himself played the bandoneon in his own tango quintet.

Therefore, the difficulty will depend on the actual arrangement you have. I'd say - if anything is too difficult in your score, just simplify it. (The composer was also an arranger....... wink )

P.S. Just realized that my laptop 'corrected' my spelling for the Spanish composer Granados to "Granada" last night...... cry

If music be the food of love, play on!
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Last night I had thoughts about giving up the Andalucia. While trying to fall asleep I visualized the (2) 8ths against the (5) 16ths and finally remembered the syllable counting that my late teacher taught and could actually hear him in my head counting. I slowly tapped it out on my chest with the correct fingers and it worked!!! I despised those silly syllables, as he called them out across the room from me while I was playing. Tail now tucked between legs, I promise to count with those syllables from now on. Now to try it out on the keys!

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Last night I had thoughts about giving up the Andalucia. While trying to fall asleep I visualized the (2) 8ths against the (5) 16ths and finally remembered the syllable counting that my late teacher taught and could actually hear him in my head counting. I slowly tapped it out on my chest with the correct fingers and it worked!!! I despised those silly syllables, as he called them out across the room from me while I was playing. Tail now tucked between legs, I promise to count with those syllables from now on. Now to try it out on the keys!

What syllables? Gosh, I never was taught a shortcut to marking up the music ! A tip can be an early Christmas present 3hearts

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Dogperson, these are syllables for counting and they spare the throat. There is no "and" about it.

My late teacher had us count everything in a piece using syllables assigned to the smallest note value in that piece. For whole, half and quarter notes, the number of the beat is used, as 123 or 1234 etc.

For eighth notes the syllable "Tay" is used. 1 Tay, 2 Tay etc. this only if the smallest note value is an 8th note

For triplets, 1 la li, 2 la li etc
For 16ths, 1 Ta tay Ta , 2 Ta Tay Ta ( the a in Ta is soft), etc
For 32ns, 1 ka Ta ka Tay ka Ta ka, etc

This was for learning a piece. Once rhythm and notes are well learned, the whole numbers can be used or can be broken to smaller number of syllables , ex: counting 32ns as 16ths, playing two notes to one count each of, 1 Ta Tay Ta , etc.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Page 6 of 47 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 46 47

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission