2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
With the arrival of the PX160 and the px350 getting a little long in the tooth, it would seem time for the release of the PX360 and possibly a successor to the PX-5S

Last edited by Longhorngary; 06/13/15 02:27 AM.

Casio PX-780, Alfred's All-In-One Adult Piano Course Book 1
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Often DP manufacturers release new versions where there's nothing substantially different from the previous version.

I have no idea whether Casio will release new versions, but there is no point getting excited about new versions per se, only particular new features, if they do in fact improve substantially improve on previous features, and are not just "new for the sake of it".

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I'm not sure what they would upgrade on it though. The P160 has a few new sounds (Electric pianos and strings) taken from the PX-5S, but the main upgrade was the inclusion of line outs, something the PX-350 already has. I suppose they could increase the number of auto-accompaniment styles or something like that, but I imagine that if there's any update at all it will be very minor.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do the piano keyboard manufacturers often use Summer NAMM to unveil updates and new lines?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by fizikisto
I'm not sure what they would upgrade on it though. The P160 has a few new sounds (Electric pianos and strings) taken from the PX-5S, but the main upgrade was the inclusion of line outs, something the PX-350 already has. I suppose they could increase the number of auto-accompaniment styles or something like that, but I imagine that if there's any update at all it will be very minor.

Im sure better new onboard speaker system as the PX-160 claims.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Something makes me think that Casio will soon come with a stagepiano workstation combo... Combining PX-5S, AP800, XW-P1, XW-G1 and WK7600 combined with some new features, an improved keybed with afterouch and A DAW/VST controll mode..

For a shop price of under €1500 and a weight under 25 pounds, it would finally put Casio on the map of professional stage instruments

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
ElmerJFudd,
It's not unheard of, but my impression is that keyboard vendors tend to announce updates at the winter show much more often than the summer one.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Bachus
I think with the PX-5S, Casio is already on the map of professional stage instruments. There's a heck of a lot of value for the money there. As for your suggestion, I'm not sure that Casio has much interest in competing with Korg/Yamaha/Roland at the high end workstation market. It's already pretty crowded and they seem to be pretty dominant in their niche. But, if they decide to go after that segment aggressively, I'd be very curious to see what they might bring to the table. smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
G
G
Based on research I did about Casio releases I can almost guarantee you that the PX-360 will be introduced at Summer NAMM. As for the PX-5S successor, I expect next year.

I hope you're right that they won't unveil a PX-5S successor this year. I barely got mine.

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Steinberg UR22, KRK RP6 G2, JBL LSR305
Guitar, mandolin and banjo player, hobbyist producer.
on YouTube
G
G
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr
I hope you're right that they won't unveil a PX-5S successor this year. I barely got mine.

Mike Martin himself shot down rumors that surfaced about a month or two ago about a successor to the PX-5S. He indicated Casio had no plans to release a new version to the PX-5S or that they were working on any such successor. So at the very least (which I highly doubt) 2016 for a next version. Most likely sometime 2017 would be a more appropriate guess.

Casio Privia PX-5S | DMC-122 with Gemini module | Onstage KS7150 Stand | Audio Technica M40x Monitor Headphones | Roland Cube CM-30 PA/Monitor | Galaxy Instruments Vintage D and The Giant VSTs
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Giancarlo Robles

Mike Martin himself shot down rumors that surfaced about a month or two ago about a successor to the PX-5S. He indicated Casio had no plans to release a new version to the PX-5S or that they were working on any such successor. So at the very least (which I highly doubt) 2016 for a next version. Most likely sometime 2017 would be a more appropriate guess.

If Then. Advances in technology in the digital piano sphere could perhaps best be described as glacial. While Casio has put some nice feature bumps into the PX-160, there's essentially no innovation there at all. They basically back ported some of the better sounds from the PX-5S and added minor hardware improvements.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

If Then. Advances in technology in the digital piano sphere could perhaps best be described as glacial. While Casio has put some nice feature bumps into the PX-160, there's essentially no innovation there at all. They basically back ported some of the better sounds from the PX-5S and added minor hardware improvements.

That's a bit harsh on one brand, isn't it?

They don't tend to do wholesale updates that frequently - tends to be a upgrade to the action and / or sound-engine, then some incremental tweaks after a year or two.

Look at some of the criticisms of the PX-150 - the speakers and connectivity options, the PX-160 seems a reasonable update - they did get it very right with the action and sound engine in the 150.

The connectivity and speakers were the sole two things that almost made me wait for the PX-160. Ultimately though, I couldn't justify the upcharge from the PX-150 (€120 where I live) I decided to spend even more and get the PX-5S.

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Steinberg UR22, KRK RP6 G2, JBL LSR305
Guitar, mandolin and banjo player, hobbyist producer.
on YouTube
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham

That's a bit harsh on one brand, isn't it?

They don't tend to do wholesale updates that frequently - tends to be a upgrade to the action and / or sound-engine, then some incremental tweaks after a year or two.

Look at some of the criticisms of the PX-150 - the speakers and connectivity options, the PX-160 seems a reasonable update - they did get it very right with the action and sound engine in the 150.

Right -- The appeal of the PX-150/160 is the low cost and ease-of-use. Start piling on a bunch of features from the XW/PX-5S/WK lines and all of a sudden the price and complexity goes up. Improving the speakers, a few sounds, and connectivity options was the right move for the model.

If you're looking for innovation, the PX-5S is the model where "quantum leap happened: dual hex-layer synth engines, 4 independent arpeggiators, powerful MIDI routing optuons -- you don't see that kind of stuff on most stage pianos.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Lester,
No, I don't think it's harsh on one brand, I think it's true of the whole industry. I simply referred to Casio specifically because that's what this thread is about. But it's true all over the industry. Look at the Non-update that the Nord Stage 2 got in the NS2 EX. I mean, now the Electro has better features than their flagship product in a lot of ways. With the Nord Stage 2 EX we got more memory and....new accent colors on the paint job. And Yamaha is Notorious for dribbling out updates over very long periods of time. It's the nature of the beast in the DP world.

And I didn't mean my post to be an indictment of Casio. I think the PX-160 is now a much more attractive board than the PX-150 was. Even though the updates were minor and not innovative at all, they were good and useful updates to make. I'm sure it well sell well, and it should sell well, it's arguably the best piano in its price range. But innovative? it's just not.

I expect at some point we'll see some new things from casio that makes us all want to go "shut up and take my money!" I also expect that at some point we'll see a Nord stage 3 that represents an amazing improvement over the stage 2 EX. But I don't expect that we'll see those things for a long time, because the pace of innovation in this industry is, as I said, glacial. smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Lester,
No, I don't think it's harsh on one brand, I think it's true of the whole industry. I simply referred to Casio specifically because that's what this thread is about. But it's true all over the industry. Look at the Non-update that the Nord Stage 2 got in the NS2 EX. I mean, now the Electro has better features than their flagship product in a lot of ways. With the Nord Stage 2 EX we got more memory and....new accent colors on the paint job. And Yamaha is Notorious for dribbling out updates over very long periods of time. It's the nature of the beast in the DP world.

And I didn't mean my post to be an indictment of Casio. I think the PX-160 is now a much more attractive board than the PX-150 was. Even though the updates were minor and not innovative at all, they were good and useful updates to make. I'm sure it well sell well, and it should sell well, it's arguably the best piano in its price range. But innovative? it's just not.

I expect at some point we'll see some new things from casio that makes us all want to go "shut up and take my money!" I also expect that at some point we'll see a Nord stage 3 that represents an amazing improvement over the stage 2 EX. But I don't expect that we'll see those things for a long time, because the pace of innovation in this industry is, as I said, glacial. smile

I think my point was, when the PX-150 was introduced, it was reasonably innovative - if such a combination of words is truly tenable.

A decent and competent action, and a decent and competent sound engine - that's almost a ubiquitous or de-facto recommendation at the entry level. Big changes like that aren't going to be in every update - for probably a couple of reasons - cost and return on investment.

I don't expect the progress to be rapid, either - I don't buy there's some amazing leap in technology, just over the horizon, that's going to set the world of digital pianos alight.

They're already reasonably competent. Of course they're not perfect, but there's not the same amount of market to produce the sorts of implemented innovation that we see in things like smartphones, tablets and other mass-adopted tech.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Scott,
Yes, I also agree that the PX-5S was a very innovative product. It's amazing what casio has packed into such a (relatively) low cost and light weight board. My guess though is that the PX-6S will have incremental rather than innovative feature improvements. Part of that is just because the PX-5S is already pretty amazing, but also because innovative advances are the exception not the norm in the digital piano industry. And by the way, again that's not meant as harshly as it may sound. Innovation is hard, it takes time. These companies have to maximize the value that they get out of their research. They have finite resources after all.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission