2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wr

And, finally, I think it is worth mentioning that Chopin - he whose music is often pulled about like taffy by pianists - would have his students practice just the accompaniment in some of his music, strictly following the metronome. An example I remember where he did this is in his E flat nocturne, op. 9, no. 2. He wanted that left-hand accompaniment part played with a rock-solid beat, and had his students use a metronome to get it that way.

Do you have a source that says he actually told the students to "practice ... strictly following the metronome?". From what I have read there's an anecdote that the metronome "never left his piano" and there are his pupils accounts that he insisted on strict tempo. Those do not say anything on how the metronome was used. I'd be happy to learn more...

At the same time I couldn't agree more about how his music should be played.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by johan d
Originally Posted by outo
I prefer to talk about consistent pulse, because steady beat can sometimes be understood as sounding like a midi recording.

Consistent pulse is indeed better.
It hasn't to be a concistent as in a MIDI recording, but there are more levels between the pulse of a MIDI recording and the consistent pulse of a beginning piano player...

I think that MIDI recording effect has much more to do with all the notes being in their exact, mathematically determined place in time, rather than just on the beat being precise.

That's true. I just feel using the words steady or precise can sometimes be misleading. The pulse can be on some level consistent even when the tempo changes, but it isn't precise or steady anymore. Or at least that's how I interpret the concepts. Of course this might be affected by the fact that I have a different language background...

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

And, finally, I think it is worth mentioning that Chopin - he whose music is often pulled about like taffy by pianists - would have his students practice just the accompaniment in some of his music, strictly following the metronome. An example I remember where he did this is in his E flat nocturne, op. 9, no. 2. He wanted that left-hand accompaniment part played with a rock-solid beat, and had his students use a metronome to get it that way.

Do you have a source that says he actually told the students to "practice ... strictly following the metronome?". From what I have read there's an anecdote that the metronome "never left his piano" and there are his pupils accounts that he insisted on strict tempo. Those do not say anything on how the metronome was used. I'd be happy to learn more...

I'm not sure if I am remembering this correctly, but I think the source was the Eigeldinger book on Chopin as seen by his pupils.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

I'm not sure if I am remembering this correctly, but I think the source was the Eigeldinger book on Chopin as seen by his pupils.

I have the book, so I guess I should just read it again to find out smile

S
S
I don't think one necessarily has to play metronomically with a metronome. There are all sorts of little liberties one can take within each beat and practicing in this manner can really tighten up "loose" sections of rubato and give the pianist a clear rhythmic picture. Using a machine doesn't have to make you a machine; it all depends how you use it.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by johan d
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Once you are able to play with a consistent pulse, then you can purposely vary the tempo in subtle beautiful ways.
If you can't play with a consistent pulse, then your playing will be wild and uncontrolled in tempo.
What are the ways (or tools) to help you develop a consistent pulse?

Constantly ask yourself if your rhythm is accurate. You can do it without a metronome, but comparing yourself with the metronome every once in a while (at least) will give you feedback, and you will progress much faster.

Listen to music, even pop music, and feel the rhythm. Maybe rap, where all they have is rhythm to drive the music forward.

Dance. Chopin grew up playing in dance halls, all of his music is dance music. The rhythm keeps you in step and energizes you to move forward.

Through the night in the arms of a lovely/handsome partner.

Poetry is rhythm
Getting the rhythms, i.e. note relationship values right, is really important, but completely separate I think from tempo concerns.

I've never been one to overly fret over a steady tempo either in practice or performance. I've always been irritated at practicing constantly at a tempo set by a metronome. I feel like I work better and faster moving around a piece playing at the tempo I can handle at each particular area. If you aren't careful with a metronome you can waste time mindlessly drilling one steady tempo.

That said, when it's time to finish a piece and ground it in a steady tempo, you need the metronome.

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission