2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by bennevis
I wonder, what did musicians do before 1815 (i.e. before the metronome was invented)?

How did good ol' JSB, Handel, Haydn, Mozart et al ever learnt to play in time without it? Or were their tempi and rhythm all over the place? wink

Unless of course, they had their teacher to tap the rhythm with a staff for them - unfortunately, that caused the demise of Jean-Baptiste Lully - so, that was the end of that....... grin

A perfect response. And another intriguing nugget of information regarding Lully. laugh

I am surprised that so few people know that the metronome was originally invented as a way for composers to specify the tempo at which they wanted their music to be played, NOT as a counting device. This terrible misuse of the metronome has caused more distress than almost any other practice insisted on by teachers. You simply cannot LEARN the notes and obey the relentless ticking of the metronome as you fumble for the correct key. It's total frustration.

Human beings have an internal "metronome" ... the beating of their hearts. It is not difficult to tap out a beat. To force a young student to use this horrid device is almost guaranteed that they will lose interest in their music. Music is heart and feeling and emotion. Strip it of that and apply a rigid machine and what's left.

Very very little. frown

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheHappyPianoMuse
Human beings have an internal "metronome" ... the beating of their hearts. It is not difficult to tap out a beat. To force a young student to use this horrid device is almost guaranteed that they will lose interest in their music. Music is heart and feeling and emotion. Strip it of that and apply a rigid machine and what's left.

Very very little. frown

Have you ever listened to a performance from someone whose internal "metronome" was broken? It's a very disconcerting and unpleasant experience.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have a metronome somewhere. I think it is in a box in an attic in Texas, having been there for several years and presumably by now has been baked to smithereens. grin

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Vid

Have you ever listened to a performance from someone whose internal "metronome" was broken? It's a very disconcerting and unpleasant experience.

No, I haven't. Apart from students playing the wrong time values for individual notes or sections. And of course, some pretty wild "rubato" playing by certain performers intent on flashy playing. There's a Gould performance of the Mozart Fantasia in D minor which curls my hair and makes my teeth twitch.

With my students, I'll risk the rare possibility that someone's internal metronome is flawed, because the potential harm and robbing of enjoyment of playing and learning is too great.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I evaluate hundreds of piano students every year. It's obvious which ones do NOT use the metronome, or have no clue HOW to use the metronome. Or maybe they were never taught how to use the metronome properly.

And there are teachers who complain about evaluators who, in their written comments, suggest the use of a metronome to help the student establish a steady beat during practice. Obviously, those teachers don't know how to teach rhythm, either.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheHappyPianoMuse
Human beings have an internal "metronome" ... the beating of their hearts. It is not difficult to tap out a beat
My first teacher didn't use a metronome neither. My new teacher tells me to do the practice part with the metronome. I just find it hard to keep a steady beat. When taking lesson with her, it's without metronome.
Maybe it's easy to follow your heartbeat, but as soon as the tempo differs from your heart, that's when a metronome might help. I don't use use it until I get the right notes of course. Once I know the notes and can play it from begin to end, I try it (with every detail) with metronome at a slow tempo.

Last edited by johan d; 05/28/15 02:01 AM.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
... suggest the use of a metronome to help the student establish a steady beat during practice.

I think it would be important to clarify what is meant by steady beat. I prefer to talk about consistent pulse, because steady beat can sometimes be understood as sounding like a midi recording. And some people even seem to use the metronome to achieve that...

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
BTW: I have found this a very handy tool:

Click for beats per minute

It can be used to evaluate one's own recordings for pulse variation.

It's also quite an eye opening to use it with recordings from top quality pianists...There's bad rhythmic variation, but there's also good one that only adds to expression.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo
I prefer to talk about consistent pulse, because steady beat can sometimes be understood as sounding like a midi recording.

Consistent pulse is indeed better.
It hasn't to be a concistent as in a MIDI recording, but there are more levels between the pulse of a MIDI recording and the consistent pulse of a beginning piano player...

Last edited by johan d; 05/28/15 03:09 AM.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
... suggest the use of a metronome to help the student establish a steady beat during practice.

I think it would be important to clarify what is meant by steady beat. I prefer to talk about consistent pulse, because steady beat can sometimes be understood as sounding like a midi recording. And some people even seem to use the metronome to achieve that...

Once you are able to play with a consistent pulse, then you can purposely vary the tempo in subtle beautiful ways.

If you can't play with a consistent pulse, then your playing will be wild and uncontrolled in tempo.

Argerich and Horowitz sometimes don't keep a steady beat, but only when they choose not to.

Poetry is rhythm
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Once you are able to play with a consistent pulse, then you can purposely vary the tempo in subtle beautiful ways.
If you can't play with a consistent pulse, then your playing will be wild and uncontrolled in tempo.
What are the ways (or tools) to help you develop a consistent pulse?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johan d
What are the ways (or tools) to help you develop a consistent pulse?

A metronome!

And not just any metronome. Buy or download one of those nifty ones that can subdivide the beats for you. There's one that even has the option of clicking dotted rhythm or swing rhythm. There are even ones that you can program "ONE two three FOUR five ONE two three FOUR five" or other irregular meters.

But first you must acquire a deep and thorough understanding of rhythm, intellectually (mathematically) and physically. And don't be afraid to slow way, way down to count.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

This can also be understood as use the metronome long enough to learn to play as a midi recording and then later add expression on top of it...I'm not quite sure of the usefulness of such a method...

Argerich and Horowitz sometimes don't keep a steady beat, but only when they choose not to.

Sometimes? Try the device linked in my post above to any of their recordings smile

Which makes me think...Maybe the idea of a consistent pulse is actually like the idea of beautiful tone. It's partly just an illusion that a skillful player creates to the listener even if the pulse actually isn't that consistent? And those who cannot maintain this illusion will sound wild and uncontrolled...

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

But first you must acquire a deep and thorough understanding of rhythm, intellectually (mathematically) and physically. And don't be afraid to slow way, way down to count.

Yes! And I think this is what is often neglected by those who think using the metronome is the answer.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Yes! And I think this is what is often neglected by those who think using the metronome is the answer.
I am all ear on how to train and learn this!

Last edited by johan d; 05/28/15 04:06 AM.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

I am all ear on how to train and learn this!

Well, I already wrote about how I learned rhythm as a child. A lot of counting and tapping (or some other physical exercise) different meters as work away from an instrument. As well as analysing and writing down how to count different scores (this I did again as an adult due to the long gap). Seemed to work for most people.

I tend to use the metronome for some specific purposes:
- Finding out what the composer's suggested tempo marking mean
- Helping me get the rhythm correct with complicated sections, especially those with ornaments (I cannot really count those)
- Forcing myself to practice slower than what I could naturally do
- Helping to correct earlier misreadings of note values

I don't think these are things a beginner usually needs, so from my point of view it's a device more useful for a bit more advanced players.

Last edited by outo; 05/28/15 04:33 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Which makes me think...Maybe the idea of a consistent pulse is actually like the idea of beautiful tone. It's partly just an illusion that a skillful player creates to the listener even if the pulse actually isn't that consistent? And those who cannot maintain this illusion will sound wild and uncontrolled...

No, it isn't an illusion. Anyone who has played very often with others, especially with ensembles and orchestras, can tell you that playing with a steady beat is a requirement for good ensemble work. And it is a requirement that can come as a bit of a shock for someone who is playing with an ensemble for the first time.

Sure, even a large orchestra under a good conductor can and will vary the beat for musical effect, but there are still frequent long stretches of music where they stay absolutely on the beat. And in some contemporary music with complex and/or irregular rhythmic schemes, there really is not any way to mess around with the beat without coming completely apart.

I think that you may even be able to tell which solo players work frequently with ensembles and orchestras because they tend to stick to a very steady rhythm more than those who don't, even in their solo work.

And, finally, I think it is worth mentioning that Chopin - he whose music is often pulled about like taffy by pianists - would have his students practice just the accompaniment in some of his music, strictly following the metronome. An example I remember where he did this is in his E flat nocturne, op. 9, no. 2. He wanted that left-hand accompaniment part played with a rock-solid beat, and had his students use a metronome to get it that way.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wr

No, it isn't an illusion. Anyone who has played very often with others, especially with ensembles and orchestras, can tell you that playing with a steady beat is a requirement for good ensemble work. And it is a requirement that can come as a bit of a shock for someone who is playing with an ensemble for the first time.

You misunderstood me. I was only referring to pianists playing solo. I also did not mean that such a thing as steady beat does not exist or is never needed. Of course it does, but it just does not seem to be that important for the quality of performance when the pianists play solo and people do not necessarily notice the variation at all. Which you will see if you indeed track their playing with a steady beat device.

I also think it's a matter of taste. I personally mostly do prefer more rhythmically steady playing. Indeed one reason why I don't enjoy Horowitz's Scarlatti recordings that much is probably the amount of rhythmic variation. When I compare to some of my favorite Scarlatti recordings (from Weissenberg or Ciccolini for example) they are more consistent, yet not metronomic. I think they better work with my inner conception of pulse and this is very individual.

Last edited by outo; 05/28/15 05:06 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

You misunderstood me.

You are right - I did.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I prefer to talk about consistent pulse, because steady beat can sometimes be understood as sounding like a midi recording.

Consistent pulse is indeed better.
It hasn't to be a concistent as in a MIDI recording, but there are more levels between the pulse of a MIDI recording and the consistent pulse of a beginning piano player...

I think that MIDI recording effect has much more to do with all the notes being in their exact, mathematically determined place in time, rather than just on the beat being precise.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission