2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
Not an attack on Jay, just some constructive criticism to Roland:

1. We could have had another octave of keys on the bass end but no, Roland stuck the stick there, like they ALWAYS do. Why not place it up in the wheel section (which seems to have some room to spare)? This is the thing that drives me the craziest about Roland, that crazy stick stuck in the keybed area, making everything that much longer and harder to port around. It's craziest on their 88 key boards as it forces you to buy special extra long cases, and requires you to have orangutan arms in order to even reach the crazy thing.

2. Analog synthesis is quaint and retro and all, but at this point a trend so overdone as to be almost self-parodying. Analog is just stupid when you can do gobs and gobs of drift-free, exceedingly customizable virtual analog synth in a DSP, thousands of oscillators in a small FPGA. But the hipsters need analog for street cred or something - when will the industry stop pandering to them? At least Roland isn't festooning all their gear with glowing, short lived, power hogging 12AX7's ala Korg.

I am carting it around in a 61 key case with no issues right now. It's a good fit.

It was just a smidgen too large for the CB-49VP case we used to make, which I own.

The combination of stick and two wheels on the JD-Xa is very well implemented, you can perform many functions inclusive of Cross modulation and filtering using these controls. So they're not superfluous or misplaced. Ergonomically, on this board, they are right where you want them. You make it seem as if they're far away on an RD piano, when they're within easy reach.

DCO's were an innovation that managed to eliminate drift on the Oscillators. VCO's have even improved to (for most Modern VCO's I've heard) eliminate it as well unless the synthesist dials some in.

And, if hipsters want to buy thousands of analog synths, I'm ok with that. if they want VST synths, or straight digital VA synths, I'm ok with that too. Just be aware that the market is MUCH larger than just hipsters. Proof below.

Just today I spoke to a man in a music store whose analog synth collection was started when he was 26 and has continued to grow until today...where he treated himself to a JD-Xa on his 60th birthday. He spent about 5 minutes with my prototype. Came up to me with a MASSIVE grin on his face, shook my hand and asked me to congratulate the engineers on, as he dubbed it, "My 21st century JD Synth"

I AM the target market for the JD-Xa. I like making HUGE sounds that start with one OSC and build from there. Ending up with tones containing piles of motion and expression. I'm not a hipster. I'm a musician. Keyboardist first, Pianist second. There's lots more like me. There's no pandering going on here. There's some companies trying to innovate, and make products that the general public wishes to buy.

I am sure we could have built a 4 part, 2 OSC per part straight analog machine with no crossover capabilities and no SuperNatural VA engine, sequencer, or effects. But instead we built a crazy cool instrument that I will invest my own money into, instead of just enjoying a sample and handing it back.

Jay

Industry Consultant
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Agreed, and with that. It would still be a cool second tier board for the "players" as long as we have an 88k weighted down stairs for the bread and butter. Depends on the gig and how synthy you want to get. Some would prefer a Nord Electro 5 HP or a Roland VR-09. Others a Waldorf Blofeld or a Virus Ti2. The JD-XA is for the latter. And the EDM or DJ crowd. Composers, sound designers, and various lovers of tweakage.

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Freely admit that I am a die hard tweaker. After working all day, I'm gonna pop the cork on this Amarone I've been waiting to drink, and do some of that very tweaky thing!

Jay

Industry Consultant
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ElmerJFudd; 05/24/15 10:25 AM.
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
This is my Sunday morning after a VERY tweaky Saturday night.

https://instagram.com/p/3Eno6oLYq-/

Industry Consultant
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Haha, that explains a lot, Jay. Tweak on!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
What a lovely city of tiny lights that is in Jay's studio! Also nice to see the Jupiter 4 in that rolling snowball of Roland synths - that takes me back. Actually the first programmable synth I programmed, I think. It wasn't mine, though, because they were very, very expensive. It belonged to the studio I was at.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
You should see it when it gets DARK out. My place is LIT UP with glowing synthy fun! I'll grab a shot tonight and post it.

Jay

Industry Consultant
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
In the DARK! (Sounds just as good)

https://instagram.com/p/3F5LzxrYp9/

Jay

Industry Consultant
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Nice Jay!

Bonus: come christmas you won't need to put out a tree! wink

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
From the JD-XA web page:

Maximum Polyphony - Analog Part: 4 voices

Analog-OSC Section - Analog Part: 4 parts (2 OSCs + AUX, 1 Filter, 1 AMP, 2 Pitch ENV, 1 Filter ENV, 1 AMP ENV, 2 LFOs and 1 MOD LFO)

Truly nothing new under the sun. Which goes double for the keyboard market, where mining decades old stuff + LEDs - 1 octave = innovation.

P
P
[Linked Image]

I know some think that having this instead of controllers with a bunch of VSTs must be some kind of statement, but seeing this myself, my fingers starts to twitch.
You don't get that in front of a computer screen, no matter how many graphically represented knobs there are smile
Feeling the buttons, keys and knobs is part of the whole and makes the experience complete. It can even give you inspiration.

I don't know how much coming from an analogue generation influences this, but for me, the tactile part simply cannot be simulated on a computer screen.

G
G
I am also so looking forward to Roland coming up with a LIGHTWEIGHT digital piano, even 73 keys is fine. Even 64.

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
One artist's conception of the JD-XA done better (can't have it!):

[Linked Image]

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't found a playing situation that required more than 49 keys on this board so far. Synths get too squeaky up high, and too growly in the sub bass region for my taste. So the range is just right.

But have had a TON of fun with the sequencer so far. Combining it with the AIRA gear and using the AIRA MX-1 as a Clock MASTER and running everything synced to that. The Combination of the AIRA gear and the JD-Xa is amazing! Using the TB-3 to trigger a couple of Analog OSC's on the JD-Xa makes a huge sound.

It's a powerhouse. Fully and completely.

Start with a 4 voice Polyphonic stack of a couple of PW modulated Analog Square waves an octave apart with fast attack, and just have fun.

Then for fun, if you want,

Add 4 SuperNatural Synth parts with 3 partials per part (Kind of like the GAIA style of tone building, but with the JP-80 and INTEGRA SuperNatural Synth engine. Note that the SuperNatural VA Engine is not decades old, and always improving.

This combination can make some HUGE moving Pads, Synth Strings/Brass and Stabs then you sequence those. Or arpeggiate. or both.

Innovation is where you find it. It's not features, it's not specs. It's taking what's there and using it in a way that inspires you to make music.

The JD-Xa has managed to inspire me to play a lot since I received it. And I cannot wait to show it to my retailers who are all awaiting it with baited breath.

Jay

Industry Consultant
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gracegren
I am also so looking forward to Roland coming up with a LIGHTWEIGHT digital piano, even 73 keys is fine. Even 64.

Amen to that!

Howsabout an RD-760 Roland? Artist's conception of it done right, with the joystick NOT in the keybed area and A on the bottom (top octave chop):

[Linked Image]

I'd dump our RD-700NX in a heartbeat for that.

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gracegren

Have you looked at the RD-64?

http://www.roland.ca/products/rd-64/

Jay

Industry Consultant
phunqe #2424664 05/25/15 01:54 PM
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phunqe
[Linked Image]

I know some think that having this instead of controllers with a bunch of VSTs must be some kind of statement, but seeing this myself, my fingers starts to twitch.
You don't get that in front of a computer screen, no matter how many graphically represented knobs there are smile
Feeling the buttons, keys and knobs is part of the whole and makes the experience complete. It can even give you inspiration.

I don't know how much coming from an analogue generation influences this, but for me, the tactile part simply cannot be simulated on a computer screen.

AMEN.

My fingers are no longer twitchy.

Jay

Industry Consultant
phunqe #2424894 05/26/15 06:15 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phunqe
[Linked Image]

the more i look at this picture, the more i realise that if you buy a JD-XA, you really want a system 1 modular.

P
P
Originally Posted by dewster
[quote=gracegren][Linked Image]

For me, I want the pitch controller as far to the side as possible so it's easily controlled with one finger only (thumb).
When you have it too far in, you can't rest your hand on the side and you risk pressing keys with your palm (or even stage clothes depending on the performance obviously :P)

That's my experience at least, I find it more comfortable and secure if you can rest part of your palm on the side while controlling the pitch. It's more stable and you can use the pitch extensively without needing to hold the whole weight of the arm in a somewhat uncomfortable position.

Last edited by phunqe; 05/26/15 10:59 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission