2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
It's impossible for me to make no mistakes during a performance even I work alot with particular piece that i'm going to perform at public i can't overcome my excitement my hands are shaking, memory slips don't leave me alone and sometimes i stop playing for 1 or 2 seconds until remember particular passage is there any technique or method for not making mistakes at public performance? I know practice makes perfect but even i practice the piece one thousand times still making mistakes at sometimes i'm thinking of quit playing piano because of it i'm very despair about mistakes help i can't even play one piece from beginning to end without mistakes crazy

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Maybe they do make tiny mistakes, but maybe they know a way to mask it and put the piece back on track without us hearing it? If they don't make mistakes, well that's the difference between the pro's and the amateurs, no?

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
If you were a conservatory student and making mistakes at exams would cost a lot, you would eventually learn how to make very few or no mistakes through all those years.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Part of it is preparation, and part of it is coping with mistakes when they do happen.

If you are always very secure playing the pieces in practice, but performance makes you go to pieces, you may just need to practice performing more. Play in front of a couple of friends and family, then in front of a small non-judgmental audience, before you go on to play in front of a big audience. The more we play for audiences the less weird and scary it gets.

The best way to cope with a mistake is just to go on to the next note with no pause as if nothing happened. If that's not possible then skip quickly to the next place you can start from.

And remember, even though it might feel like the worst possible thing is to make mistakes... for the audience, the worst possible thing is to be bored! So don't worry about mistakes too much as long as you are prepared. Just do your best to communicate the music beautifully and interestingly. That's what an audience wants.

PS I find that the more experienced I get, the more "logical" my mistakes are. I might play the wrong voicing but the correct melody and harmony, or I might play a cadence from another point in the piece instead of the cadence that belongs there. It's like the errors I make when I speak in my first language, as opposed to the errors I make when I speak in other languages. The better I know the language, the less obviously horrible my errors. Usually.

Last edited by hreichgott; 05/19/15 08:35 AM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
The other way around is, that's why they became concert pianists. Because they never make mistakes.

P
P
I personally find that a lot of it depends on how you learn a piece. Even though it is very difficult to work on a piece as slow as needed, and not to play at tempo before you're ready, it is very fruitful in the end. Of course, it takes a lot of discipline to be able to do that, and I still fail a lot in that aspect, but when I do stick with that, mistakes (especially ones during performance) seem much rarer, because I have programmed my mind to play the notes and nothing else (not ingraining bad habits by making a lot of mistakes, etc).

Again, very difficult to stay disciplined with this approach, but it worked really well the few times that I could do it.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Concert pianists do not make no mistakes.

Discussion closed?

Regards,

Polyphonist
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I think of them as multi-talented and disciplined piano-animals. They just dont have to think about many things, because "it" (the fingers, the musicality) just works more easily for them, than for others.

E.G. Friedrich Gulda was one of those gifted, who used to rave about the 8-hours-a-day-practicing key-hammerers...

or the ultimate example for me is Maurice Murphy with his trumpet:
"Just put it on the face and press till it hurts." [Update: citation corrected]

It is simply cruel.

Last edited by lophiomys; 05/19/15 10:46 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Concert pianists do not make no mistakes.

Discussion closed?

I don't think the discussion should not close. Make no mistake; concert pianists do not make no mistakes.

Also, they're generally the cream of the crop, at least when it comes to technique. As Hakki said, that's a big reason they are concert pianists (not the only reason, but a big reason).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What is considered a mistake?

Big fumbles, stops - they don't make those. At least not when they're well prepared.

But everyone makes a couple note slips, especially if it's a very difficult piece full of large leaps. For example, I have never heard any pianist play the leaps in the coda of Schumann's Fantasie, 100% clean. Same with the cross-keyboard octave leaps in the end of Don Juan paraphrase. It is simply not possible by a human being to play those kinds of passages 100% clean every time, unless they're playing it at a really, really safe tempo... which is much worse than makign a few slips.

So, again, i'm not sure if these minor slips are even considered as "mistakes" - because if they are, then i've never ever heard any pianist not do them, unless they were playing very slow pieces.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have never been to a piano concert that was entirely devoid of mistakes. Among the pianists I've heard in concert have been Horszowski, Horowitz, Arrau, Pollini, Schiff, Peter Serkin, Brendel, Ohlsson, and Perahia.

Recordings can be made mistake free, thanks to the tape splice (or its digital equivalent).

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Just do it.

Poetry is rhythm
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Svenno
What is considered a mistake?

Big fumbles, stops - they don't make those. At least not when they're well prepared.

But everyone makes a couple note slips, especially if it's a very difficult piece full of large leaps. For example, I have never heard any pianist play the leaps in the coda of Schumann's Fantasie, 100% clean. Same with the cross-keyboard octave leaps in the end of Don Juan paraphrase.

I've heard well-known concert pianists do all those. The big stops and the perfectly clean Fantasie March coda at high speed, by the same pianist. More than once.

In the end, everybody have off-days. The trick is to be over-prepared. We can all play simple pieces perfectly, ten times in a row. But very few of us here (if any) can play Scarbo perfectly once (not even Hamelin managed it wink ) - because that piece pushes our technique to the limit.

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
S
Even if I play the notes in the right order, I will still be annoyed about other details i.e perfectly balanced voicing/ tempo changes/ musicality/ lack of structural insight.

The perfect pianist for me is Glenn Gould. What a perfectionist. Plus he had the technique and ear to bring out more details in a piece than anyone else and with greater frequency too.

So, yeah, I wouldn't consider any pianist 'perfect' unless they were Glenn Gould (playing something he enjoyed i.e Bach, Beethoven, dare I say Mozart and Chopin (it's quite good actually!))

I just double bracketed. Oh my.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
+1 on Gelnn Gould

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Godowsky brushed off Hofmann's mistakes as "spots on the sun."

My teacher heard Rubinstein leave out a whole page of a Chopin work--it didn't matter at all, so fine was the performance.

My mistakes are more like a black eye on the Mona Lisa.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
S
S
Originally Posted by sirwormsalot
Even if I play the notes in the right order, I will still be annoyed about other details i.e perfectly balanced voicing/ tempo changes/ musicality/ lack of structural insight.

The perfect pianist for me is Glenn Gould. What a perfectionist. Plus he had the technique and ear to bring out more details in a piece than anyone else and with greater frequency too.

So, yeah, I wouldn't consider any pianist 'perfect' unless they were Glenn Gould (playing something he enjoyed i.e Bach, Beethoven, dare I say Mozart and Chopin (it's quite good actually!))

I just double bracketed. Oh my.

Astoundingly, even Gould made small errors occasionally.

So even he wasn't perfect, which is actually a relief!

But still, he's as close as you are going to get, in
terms of not making mistakes.

Lang Lang is another nearly perfect pianist!

They are the gold standard!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Only Michelangeli never made a mistake.

Gary
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Perfection is a myth, and a harmful one.

Great musicians make mistakes--they just do it a lot better than other people.

1989 Baldwin R
S

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014
S
A couple of thoughts here...

Concert pianists definitely do make mistakes, but there are a couple of things to note. The best are absolute animals at concentration, probably better than most of us are capable. This is learned through years and years of hours-long practice. Most of us just don't prepare mentally like that. I've noticed that many mistakes come from moments of lapsed concentration "I haven't made a single mistake yet!...D'oh!"

Also, one has to consider the massive technique the best have at their disposal. Songs that seem impossible to us, with their level of preparation, don't provide massive technical challenges. I have some somewhat simpler pieces that, as long as I maintain my concentration, I can play without any glaring errors.

Also, error-free playing is more than hitting the right notes. Hitting one note a bit too loud along a smooth legato passage is something we might not notice in our playing, but will be a glaring and obvious error to the pianist.

For the rest of us, as others have said, concentrate less on mistake-free playing and more about playing a complete musical performance, and coping with mistakes smoothly.

Cello, Piano, Electric Bass

1967 Baldwin SD-10 | Kawai MP11
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission