2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Oh MAN was this thing PERFECT!!

I wanted to sign over the $10k for the thing there and then.

It was so beautiful.

Perfectly stiff action with a secure feel under the fingers, responsiveness, cushioning at the end of the keypress, and fast repetition . . . maybe even better than that of my teacher's Yamaha C7!

The tone was dark and "clean" in the sense that I heard each note clearly, with not a lot of "bloom". I'd say it was somewhere between "bell-like" and "complex/blooming". Honestly it could have used a little tuning, too, but nothing major needed to be done.

Anyway, I've never played an upright that I really liked, of any make and size, so this 44" Walter is on my short-list of dream pianos.

I also tried a bigger Grotrian upright, and while its action was also pretty nice, it wasn't responsive in the same way. And it felt significantly lighter, which felt "off" to me. Plus the tone was only so-so. A nice piano, but not $15k nice . . . .

As crazy as it sounds, the playing experience ties with playing my old school's Hamburg Steinway B. (But I'll happily take both laugh.)

Way to go, Walter family, on building a stellar piano!

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
B
B
Walters are fantastic pianos, both verticals and grands. The company is fabulous to deal as well. I bought my studio model from a dealer who had briefly rented it to a local university for an artist-in-residence program, so I got it as a demo piano. While it was there the school's tech decided to reshape the hammers; there was a lot going on the day I went to buy it, and I failed to notice at the store how bad a job he had done. I called the Walter factory and explained the situation, and a new set of hammers arrived at my door within a week.

My 20-year-old son is now learning to tune, and the Walter is serving him well!

Kent Burnside
Registered Piano Technician
Franklin TN 37064

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
A friend of mine has owned a cherry-finish Walter 1500 studio model (Renner action) for many years. She has moved away, but she still owns it, and still loves it. I played it a few times some years ago, and I enjoyed playing it and it sounded very nice. I remember the fit, finish and materials of that piano being excellent as well.

M
M
I absolutely LOVE my Walter. I wouldn't even think of owning any other brand.

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Dwscamel: im assuming you were playing a new one?

i just got a 80's walter console delivered today. when i inspected it, the action parts looked brand new to my amazement. just not a lot of usage on the piano.

anyways..anyone have experiencing with playing on a renner action walter console and a pratt reed? what are the differences, if any? also, any significant changes besides action to earlier model consoles and newer ones. (80s,90s,2000's)

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Gatsbee13
Dwscamel: im assuming you were playing a new one?

i just got a 80's walter console delivered today. when i inspected it, the action parts looked brand new to my amazement. just not a lot of usage on the piano.

anyways..anyone have experiencing with playing on a renner action walter console and a pratt reed? what are the differences, if any? also, any significant changes besides action to earlier model consoles and newer ones. (80s,90s,2000's)

The discernible difference, if one can call it that, is negligible and more subject to how regulated it is.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
thx for the information!

interesting.. i thought all Walters had the "Charles Walter" signature on the top portion of the pinblock.. mine doesn't.. just thought about this right now after watching a few videos of the 1520. is that just on newer ones?

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
I *think* I was playing a new piano, but I'm not 100% sure. It looked to be in pristine condition.

I didn't check out the pinblock, either, so I can't tell you. Sorry!

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Charles R. Walter might be the head of Walter Piano, but a son, a daughter, and three sons-in-law also work for the company. One of these Walter family members inspects each Walter piano and affix his or her signature on the pinblock when it has passed inspection. I guess any of the following names could appear on the pinblock:

Charles R. Walter
Kevin Charles Walter
Rachel Walter DeMercurio
Stephen P. DeMercurio
Richard A. Counsellor
Virgil W. Weso

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I don't have any sigs on my pinblock..

I found out from walter company that it may be a "2nd" piano. Meaning there are very minor things that did not make it perfect and apparently they were sold to dealers still. hmm, probably reason why I purchased it next to nothing. but the case in is in very good condition and it plays well.. action is firm as described above.. ill just have to wait until tech gets here to see what he thinks. but I was told by company that its nothing I should worry about.

M
M
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Charles R. Walter might be the head of Walter Piano, but a son, a daughter, and three sons-in-law also work for the company. One of these Walter family members inspects each Walter piano and affix his or her signature on the pinblock when it has passed inspection. I guess any of the following names could appear on the pinblock:

Charles R. Walter
Kevin Charles Walter
Rachel Walter DeMercurio
Stephen P. DeMercurio
Richard A. Counsellor
Virgil W. Weso

"Kevin C. Walter" on our pinblock.

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
I got my new Charles Walter 1520 back in October and love it! Mine has the Walter action, what is also referred to as the Chinese action. I believe it is made by Detoa (The piano dealer I bought it from sometimes referred to the action of mine as Detoa action and sometimes chinese action.) Not sure how this action compares to the Renner or other actions Walter's has used, but I am happy with it.

As far as signatures, mine has Charles Walter's signature, but any member of the family inspects and signs the pianos.

Gatsbee, I never knew they sold any of their piano's without a signature, but signature or not... if it is playing well for you, that's what really counts.

While there are many other great piano's out there to consider; with the Walter I feel like I got a piano that has a sound I love, responsiveness, a well built and beautiful cabinet, and at a price that I could afford.

Charles Walter 1520

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission