2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (camperbc, 36251, brdwyguy, c++, AlphaTerminus, Albertan, Brendan, accordeur, 18 invisible), 1,484 guests, and 774 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2384876 02/11/15 10:53 AM
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
This is really a question for James, but others may want to chime in.

Having played the ES100 for a little while now, and also having the MP7, I am wondering if the main grand piano samples in the ES100 are recorded from a different source piano. I have not yet setup the two DPs next to each other through the same sound system, but they seem to be somewhat different in character. Clearly, the MP is significantly more refined, as expected, but the ES seems to have a slightly more rounded tone. Somehow, I don't think that the differences between HI and HI-XL would account for this tonal difference on their own. So, the question is whether the initial recordings are from the same piano or whether a different source was used. Care to comment, James?

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The spectral views very strongly suggest the ES100 and MP7 share the same base sample set.

The ES100 attack samples are quite a bit shorter than those in the MP7. The processing (mangling) required to implement looping can and will influence perceived tone, so I would tend to lay blame there first. The next suspect would be the likelihood of fewer dynamic layers in the ES100.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I took YouTube recordings of various digital pianos. The ES100 was one of ythe best and comparable with the very best as advertised by the manufacturers. Now, in the shop this may not be apparent, but any tweaking you can do such as reverb, tuning, resonance selections may even the scores considerably between these two Kawais you mention. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by dewster
The spectral views very strongly suggest the ES100 and MP7 share the same base sample set.

The ES100 attack samples are quite a bit shorter than those in the MP7. The processing (mangling) required to implement looping can and will influence perceived tone, so I would tend to lay blame there first. The next suspect would be the likelihood of fewer dynamic layers in the ES100.

So perhaps there's some filtering going on to compensate for the lack of layers??? I don't know, but whatever they did with the rather lowly specs of the ES100 certainly made it very playable.

mabraman, 2015
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by peterws
I took YouTube recordings of various digital pianos. The ES100 was one of ythe best and comparable with the very best as advertised by the manufacturers. Now, in the shop this may not be apparent, but any tweaking you can do such as reverb, tuning, resonance selections may even the scores considerably between these two Kawais you mention. . .

It punches way above its weight (literally wink ), at least in subjective terms of how it sounds and plays, which goes to show that the numbers don't necessarily tell the whole truth.

It's not perfect: I managed to choke it when testing strings layered with piano plus liberal use of the pedal, but I don't normally play like that so it doesn't really matter to me. But I'm about to do a series of gigs with a singer used to working with someone technically far better than me who happens to use a Nord Stage, and I really do think that there won't be too much of a come-down for him, sonically at least.

mabraman, 2015
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello voxpops,

Originally Posted by voxpops
I am wondering if the main grand piano samples in the ES100 are recorded from a different source piano.

No, I'm pretty sure the power-on 'Concert Grand' sound in the ES100 and MP7 uses samples from the same recording session.

As I explained to upbeat regarding the differences between the ES7 and MP7, here:

Originally Posted by myself
Some sounds will be taken from the same recording session, so a mf 'C' played on the MP7 and ES7 will sound more or less the same. However, there will be a greater range of expression towards pppp or ffff on the MP7 due to larger sample memory.

This same principle can be applied to the ES100. While it's 'Harmonic Imaging' samples are technically inferior to those of the longer, more expressive 'Harmonic Imaging XL' samples in the MP7, they are derived from the same 88-key recording sessions, and should therefore retain similar tonal characteristics.

Other factors such as the DSP technology (reverb, effects, Virtual Technician, etc.) may also influence the sound to a greater or lesser extent.

Clearly, the MP is significantly more refined, as expected, but the ES seems to have a slightly more rounded tone. Somehow, I don't think that the differences between HI and HI-XL would account for this tonal difference on their own.

I'm afraid I don't know the reasons for this, however I expect it may be related to whatever processing techniques are employed in order to create velocity transitions from pppp to ffff.

So, the question is whether the initial recordings are from the same piano or whether a different source was used.

I'm almost certain that the 'Concert Grand' sample sets in the ES100 and MP7 are from the same piano and recording session, although the MP samples are obviously longer, more expressive and detailed.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Thanks for the reply and explanation, James. I think the engineers should be congratulated for what they've managed to do with such an inexpensive model.

mabraman, 2015
I agree.

Even if they did make a real dog's breakfast of the owner's manual...

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I agree.

Even if they did make a real dog's breakfast of the owner's manual...

Not to worry, Kawai you are not alone laugh The Casio AP-450 manual isn't much better, in fact some instructions didn't even work when it came to recording from what I recall, it took a little bit of trial and error to work it out eventually.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
Kawai you are not alone laugh

Well, my beautiful ES7 manual was used as the template, so I felt somewhat responsible. I still hope to one day rewrite the ES100 manual...

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Yesterday, I setup the ES100 alongside the MP7. Immediately I recognized the similarities (thanks dewster and KJ), but the EQ was markedly different. By increasing the mids (with the emphasis on the lower-mid) in the MP, I was able to get a much more similar tone, and it also gave the MP's default CG more body.

As an aside, it's great to be able to dial in the EQ on a per-patch basis in the MP, as well as to have the default offset available for different speakers or room characteristics. If it was only a global control, I'd be fighting the knobs every time I switched between AP and EP.

mabraman, 2015
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Am I correct in understanding that the ES100 only has one sample set, which is the basis of all its various piano tones?

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Scott, I believe it has two grand piano sets - like the MP. There is the default 88-note sample set, plus the older stretched AP. Both of these are available in different "flavors" within the board.

Last edited by voxpops; 02/13/15 01:32 PM.

mabraman, 2015
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Am I correct in understanding that the ES100 only has one sample set, which is the basis of all its various piano tones?

It has two. Concert Grand and Concert Grand 2. Each of them has three additional variations.

Interestingly by selecting a variation of the 88 note sampling, the samples are moved on half-tone up or two half-tones down and then transposed back to concert pitch. So suddenly the sticking out A sample now drives B flat or G respectively. And I guess they get stretched at the edges of the keyboard.

Last edited by jtsn; 02/13/15 02:40 PM.

Yamaha P-515
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
jtsn, I don't have a sticking out A sample - or evidence of transposition. Which "A" are you referring to?

mabraman, 2015
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
jtsn, I don't have a sticking out A sample - or evidence of transposition. Which "A" are you referring to?

The A sample left of middle C in the default Concert Grand preset on the ES100. It's also in the DPBSD MP3 recording:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2192390/#Post2192390

You can hear it at about 5:48. The timbre is different from the surrounding samples, although the effect is more audible at lower velocities than in the DPBSD recording, making it stick out.

In the other ES100 piano presets based on the sample set this specific sample shifts to other keys and gets pitch-adjusted respectively. So my assuptiom is, that the whole 88 note sample set gets shifted in the different variations. smile

Yamaha P-515
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Maybe it got fixed in a firmware update, because mine sounds pretty even. Of course, with an 88-note sample set, each note will have individual characteristics (which, to me, is a good thing!). But why would the other variations be transposed? I see no logical reason for doing that.

mabraman, 2015
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe it got fixed in a firmware update, because mine sounds pretty even. Of course, with an 88-note sample set, each note will have individual characteristics (which, to me, is a good thing!).

I made a recording, it plays five steps of a F major scale (because it has all the notes necessary do demonstrate this) at different velocites between 48 and 96:

24 bit FLAC audio: http://www.filedropper.com/es100samplereview
(VLC plays this)
MIDI file: http://www.filedropper.com/es100samplereview_1
(The MIDI file only works correctly if your ES100 is not in multi-timbral mode.)

The MIDI and the recording switches through the various piano presets of the ES100. First Concert Grand (with A sticking out), then Studio Grand (affected sample moves to B flat), then Mellow Grand (sample moves to G).

Just for comparision it switches to Concert Grand 2 at the end, where you can clearly hear the switch between two stretch groups.

But why would the other variations be transposed? I see no logical reason for doing that.

It's an easy trick to make them sound more different when playing the same piece. wink

Last edited by jtsn; 02/13/15 05:17 PM.

Yamaha P-515

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Away for 2 weeks
by Cutec - 10/24/21 05:29 PM
Notation Question (Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement)
by DaveInMichigan - 10/24/21 03:18 PM
The Haunting at ParSem!
by Piano World - 10/24/21 02:27 PM
Historical pianos / Chris Maene
by Ppianissimo - 10/24/21 02:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,724
Posts3,141,778
Members103,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission