2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 80 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 79 80
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good morning Alan,

I address your concerns about the v1.10 software update in the following post of the 'Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update' thread:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2378100/Re:_Kawai_MP11/MP7_v1.10_softw.html#Post2378100

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
J
Thanks James, I had noticed your reply in the other post, whereupon I replied. Have been a bit scared off buying the MP7 in view of all the technical stuff, and I must confess, I have never ever encountered a product before which needed so many fixes/upgrades etc post release. I don't mean this as a criticism, but it does kind of worry me, especially when I am used to simply switching on a keyboard and have everything working from day one just as it should. It strikes me that there might be a whole stack of MP7 owners out there who have never upgraded from v1.00, simply because they have never seen this forum or ever checked the Kawai website. I wonder how they are all getting along. Hopefully my fears can be resolved before the long awaited MP7 arrives at the end of this week. smile Alan
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Good morning Alan,

I address your concerns about the v1.10 software update in the following post of the 'Kawai MP11/MP7 v1.10 software update' thread:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2378100/Re:_Kawai_MP11/MP7_v1.10_softw.html#Post2378100

Kind regards,
James
x

1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano
Hey Alan. In all honesty this is pretty standard for many pro keyboards on the market, especially the more complex stage pianos and workstations. The more complex they are, the more issues can occur that aren't found till testing/release and require an update, plus the addition of extra features as people work with and buy the new instrument. I've had similar things with just about every keyboard I've owned. All of them have worked as described and I've very rarely had a bug that has caused a major issue for me that stops me from using the instrument. This isn't limited to the music world, just about anything that uses programming of some sort can have regular updates, just look at your computer operating system for instance, they're always incrementally upgrading smile I fear that this upgrade has turned into a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill issue, and for the majority of people using the instrument there shouldn't be any major (or even minor hopefully) issues!

I welcome you to come try mine out if you like smile

Sean

Kawai MP7 | Korg M3-73 | Studiologic Numa Organ 2 | Moog Voyager EB | Studio Electronics Boomstar SEM
Originally Posted by Just Alan
It strikes me that there might be a whole stack of MP7 owners out there who have never upgraded from v1.00, simply because they have never seen this forum or ever checked the Kawai website. I wonder how they are all getting along.

Those users who experience any issues with their instrument will likely contact their dealer or distributor, who will advise on where to download the update.

It's perhaps also worth noting that when software updates are released by Kawai Japan, the data is also sent to the factory for use in production, meaning that instruments always ship with the most recent software available.

Kind regards,
James
x

Originally Posted by Stellvia
In all honesty this is pretty standard for many pro keyboards on the market, especially the more complex stage pianos and workstations. The more complex they are, the more issues can occur that aren't found till testing/release and require an update, plus the addition of extra features as people work with and buy the new instrument. I've had similar things with just about every keyboard I've owned. All of them have worked as described and I've very rarely had a bug that has caused a major issue for me that stops me from using the instrument. This isn't limited to the music world, just about anything that uses programming of some sort can have regular updates, just look at your computer operating system for instance, they're always incrementally upgrading smile I fear that this upgrade has turned into a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill issue, and for the majority of people using the instrument there shouldn't be any major (or even minor hopefully) issues!

+100

Originally Posted by Stellvia
I welcome you to come try mine out if you like smile

I think this could be the start of a beautiful relationship. wink

Cheers,
James
x

G
G
Just out of curiosity has any one had a key that would not activate? The problem was intermittent, did not catch it immediately, just thought I had not hit the correct key. Once it started to happen more often (once or twice a hour) was able to reproduce by hitting the key many times. Once it fails even a system reboot would not reset the key. But by hitting the keys around the key, the bad key would eventually work ok. Had to send the MP 7 in for repair (3 weeks ago), also not as annoying as a missing key, but one note would make a loud and tinny sound, not all the time, but enough to take notice.
Cannot wait for my MP 7 to be returned (no idea yet to when it might be repaired), having to use a cheap plastic controller keyboard, I am missing the great MP 7 key action/sound.

S
S
All this problem stuff is making me nervous

Maybe I should have bought a Kurzy sps4-8 , 400 quid cheaper and plenty of download edit support.

??????

J
J
Hi Sinclairgsport, I am sorry if I inadvertantly added to your nervousness by asking questions and expressing a few of my own concerns. I can assure you that any concerns I had have all been resolved, and I am confident about moving foward with buying a MP7...I guess it has just been an awfully long wait for one to arrive here in Perth Western Australia. I had also wondered whether we might lack support here in WA, but I've quickly learnt that Kawai is very good with their support and customer commitment. Before the MP7 came on the market, I tended to recommend the Kurzweil SP5-8 in the similar price range, and actually helped a church group buy one. As much as I liked the Kurzweil SP5-8 in many respects, it too was difficult to get into West Australia, so I never got one for myself. That was frustrating at the time, but now I have come across the Kawai MP7, I am deadset keen on acquiring one. For me, the ONLY choice for me is a Kawai MP7, or I simply won't be buying a stage piano. I hope that helps you feel a tad better. smile
Originally Posted by Sinclairgsport

Maybe I should have bought a Kurzy sps4-8 , 400 quid cheaper and plenty of download edit support.

??????

1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

??????

Best option IMHO, if possible, is to audition or test the instrument in the store, and if all OK purchase that very instrument then and there. That way you have a chance to build a relationship with the store, maybe get some reduction or offer of something else thrown in, and a bit of peace of mind. I've done this for my last three purchases.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I do second that.
I actually tried to buy the demonstration unit then, but the dealer refused. Next time I will firmly insist, otherwise the dealer would not see any money from me.

The problem behind it seems to be that we end customers cannot trust production quality and quality assurance any more.

The modulation wheel in my second MP7, which was fixed by a not-so-local service technician, was poorly fitted inside the case: the mounting-thread had a stuck nut on it. A crude defect which should have been caught by QA and which was definitely noticed by the person, who assembled it in the first place.

Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lophiomys
I actually tried to buy the demonstration unit then, but the dealer refused. Next time I will firmly insist, otherwise the dealer would not see any money from me.

The modulation wheel in my second MP7, which was fixed by a not-so-local service technician, was poorly fitted inside the case: the mounting-thread had a stuck nut on it. A crude defect which should have been caught by QA and which was definitely noticed by the person, who assembled it in the first place.

Reading your post I have to chuckle ... the MP7 I bought was a floor model, but from a few states away so I bought it sight unseen.

There was only one small issue with this otherwise "mint" condition keyboard ... yup, the modulation wheel.

It was wiggling as if it were barely attached to its mount.

With solid support from Kawai tech (Juan E.) I managed to tighten a nut using a thin metal shim from outside the case and solved the problem. But it was odd this incomplete assembly job apparently got past the QA folks. Functions perfectly and never had to crack the case open (phew).

Well, all's well that ends well.

S
S
For JAMES at KAWAI

James, do you have the MP7 quality stats or KPI, ie how many sold, how many defects, customer complaints, and the production reject rate in the factory?

there seems one heck of a lot of loose ends here?

James, do you have the MP7 quality stats or KPI, ie how many sold, how many defects, customer complaints, and the production reject rate in the factory?

No, I'm afraid not - this is not my area.

there seems one heck of a lot of loose ends here?

I don't believe the handful of posts above are anything to be concerned about. Forums have a tendency to exaggerate negatives.

Kind regards,
James
x

S
S
ATTN EUROPEAN OWNERS MP7

Has anyone noticed the so called power transformer "HUM"
Why didn't Kawai just have a dc input with external adaptor? James?

Why didn't Kawai just have a dc input with external adaptor? James?

I'm not an engineer, but I gather that stage pianos typically use a transformer, not a power adaptor.

As for hum from the transformer, I believe lophiomys has posted about this on a handful of occasions.

Kind regards,
James
x

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
An external power adapter would just be another extra thing to forget.
What would be preferrable, would be a a high quality torodial transformer, properly mounted and damped inside the case of the MP7, like any other reasonable HiFi equipment in this price range.

Besides there are several reports of humming transformers, e.g. from the top of my head a CA95 and a CN34 in the German Kawai Forum. It seems that Kawai has decided to save some extra few cents and use cheap metal plated core transformers, which are by design prone to humming.

Here is a link to a post with a picture of the culprit:
DPs Exposed - Inside the MP7

Here a link to the longish ranting thread about my experiences with my MP7 and the humming transfomer, amongst other things encountered, while switching from an old RD-500 to the MP7.

HTH

Last edited by lophiomys; 02/06/15 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
F
F
Well my shiny new MP7 is arriving this afternoon, will report if I hear any hums and whatnot.

OTOH.... I can't wait for it! laugh

Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fomalhaut
Well my shiny new MP7 is arriving this afternoon, will report if I hear any hums and whatnot.

OTOH.... I can't wait for it! laugh

@ fomalhaut - Not sure where you're located but FWIW, here in the US with the 110V outlet I can't anything like hum from my MP7 - I stick my ear next to where the power plug enters the back of the unit and dead silence. I do hope your experience is the same.

Enjoy your new MP7 ... I think you're in for a treat!

-OneWatt

F
F
@OneWatt - yes the hum is there (220V here in Europe). It's mostly imperceptible when not wearing headphones (I wouldn't have noticed it if I weren't looking for it) I would not consider this unit to be faulty.

And boy this thing sounds great!

S
S
lophiomys

an external dc adaptor would be the replacement for the power cord, so there would be nothing to forget!! Also transformed ac to dc voltage externally is more safe and stable than direct ac plug in.

Page 41 of 80 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission