2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 9 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Good morning,

I noticed from an industry publication that Yamaha have updated the entry-level 'P Series' instruments by introducing two new models: the P115 & P45.

Some product information from a dealer website is pasted below.

Yamaha P115:
The new Yamaha P115 88-key weighted action digital piano is the latest keyboard to join the legendary P-Series of Yamaha digital pianos. It features the new Pure Cf sampled piano, which is sampled from Yamaha's own famous CF III concert grand. No digital piano at this price point delivers recordings from such a high dollar grand.

The Yamaha P115 replaces the current model P105. Some new features include: 192 note polyphony, 14 drum rhythms, and a controller app for iOS.

The P-115 is a compact and portable, 88-key weighted action digital piano. It features Yamaha's outstanding acoustic piano touch and tone, is easy-to-use and versatile enough for everyone from beginner to pro.

Just as on a traditional acoustic piano, the keys of the lower notes on the P115 have a heavier touch, while the higher ones are more responsive to lighter playing. The keyboard's sensitivity can even be adjusted to match your playing style. This Graded Hammer technology allows this lightweight instrument to provide an authentic piano touch.

The P115 uses Yamaha's “Pure CF sound engine,” a first for the P-series. The piano sound was recorded from Yamaha's CFIIIS concert grand piano, which is heard on stages all over the world.

These authentic piano sounds are played through built-in, true-circle speakers on the P115. The true-circle speakers vibrate naturally to convey full, rich, low-frequencies and the tweeters offer a clear and brilliant sound. Together they provide excellent balance of power and clarity.

This digital Yamaha piano also includes Pianist Styles, which turn your simple chords into exciting accompaniments. Play a chord and the Pianist Style gives you a full piano accompaniment, with 10 built-in Styles to offer a variety of backings to fit your performance.

Basic drum patterns are also included, and they can put the "fun" back into practicing. They are also a practical alternative to a metronome. A USB TO HOST feature is also included, and it lets you connect directly to your computer for use with various education, notation and music production software.

Last but not least, there's also an AUX LINE OUT to connect your P115 to a computer sound card, mixing console or powered speakers - great for recording or performing live. Since it's a true line-output, the built-in speakers remain on for monitoring as opposed to switching OFF when using the more common headphone output.
Yamaha P115 Digital Piano Features:

New PureCF Sound Engine - CFIIIS samples
192 note polyphony
88-Key Graded Hammer Standard
USB-to-host Port
iOS controller app
Line Outputs with iPad Connection
Dual and Split Modes
Drum Pattern Playing
Intelligent Acoustic Control
Duo Mode for Side-By-Side Practice
10 Pianist Styles
14 Rhythms
Metronome
Included accessories: music rest, sustain pedal
Optional accessories: LP5A pedal unit, L85 matching stand

Yamaha P45:
The new Yamaha P45 88-key weighted action digital piano is the newest member of the Yamaha P Series pianos. It has a contemporary design with a small footprint that allows for easy portability and storage.

The Yamaha P45 replaces the current model, P35. It features Yamaha's AWM (Advanced Wave Memory) sampling, which uses digital technology to record an instrument's sound. AWM Stereo Sampling creates a deeper, richer and more spacious sound by using pairs of waveforms captured with two microphones.

The P45 features the Yamaha GHS Graded Hammer Standard piano action that provides a heavier touch on the lower keys, while the higher ones are more responsive to lighter playing, very similar to a traditional acoustic piano.The keyboard's sensitivity can even be adjusted to match your playing style.

MIDI Out ports get you connected to older keyboards that might have the sound you're looking for, but lack that weighted piano touch. Use an optional MIDI interface to connect to a computer or iPad for a variety of music Apps.
Yamaha P45 Digital Piano Features:

Advanced Wave Memory Stereo Sampling
10 Voices
64 Note Polyphony
Reverb, Chorus
Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) weighted piano action
MIDI in/out
1/4" headphone output
Dual mode; layer two Voices
Simple one-button operation
Compact and lightweight, only 27 pounds
Duo mode splits the keyboard into two halves, each with it's own "middle C."
ECO Operation saves energy by powering off after a period of inactivity
Included accessories: music rest, PA150 power adapter, sustain pedal

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Yamaha P115:
The P115 uses Yamaha's “Pure CF sound engine,” a first for the P-series. The piano sound was recorded from Yamaha's CFIIIS concert grand piano, which is heard on stages all over the world.

This from Yamaha's page for the P-105:
The P-105 uses Yamaha's “Pure CF sound engine,” a first for the P-series. This piano sound was recorded from Yamaha's renowned CFIIIS concert grand piano, which can be heard on stages all over the world.

Notice anything? wink

Last edited by voxpops; 01/21/15 08:55 PM.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
So the only thing new about the P115 is the model number.
Isn't that to be expected? smile

Now ... where's that other thread?
You know, the one touting the impressive "trajectory of improvements" in digital pianos! smile

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
So the only thing new about the P115 is the model number.
Isn't that to be expected? smile

Now ... where's that other thread?
You know, the one touting the impressive "trajectory of improvements" in digital pianos! smile

Hahaha! That poor guy will never get a break around here . . . .

Nice to see more contenders in the sub-$1k range, but I've lost interest in GHS boards. That has always been my #1 complaint with the lower P-series boards . . . one step up to GH is a MAJOR improvement.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
How does the P45 then differ from 2 generations ago the P95?
Seems to have the 64 note polyphony that was missing from the P35.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So a few notes more polyphony and an iOS controller app. Whatever you have to control on an entry level board with only a few (exactly two) piano voices. Compared to the P85/P95, the P115 is still missing native MIDI ports.

Last edited by jtsn; 01/22/15 06:03 AM.

Yamaha P-515
P
P
Thanks for the info, James!

[/quote][quote]The new Yamaha P115 88-key weighted action digital piano is the latest keyboard to join the legendary P-Series of Yamaha digital pianos. It features the new Pure Cf sampled piano, which is sampled from Yamaha's own famous CF III concert grand. No digital piano at this price point delivers recordings from such a high dollar grand.

This has always puzzled me. CF IIIS is not even their top-of-the-line piano - that's CFX, markedly superior in richness of timbre. So why do they keep bragging about CFIIIS?

In comparison, Casio and Kurzweil use Stainwey samples (supposedly Concert D?), which is arguably vastly superior to CFIIIS. So the last sentence in the quote doesn't even make sense.

(To put things into perspective, I do understand why CFIIIS sample is being used - CFX was first unveiled in 2010, and the samples are much older than that. While this is normal in the music instrument industry, to blatantly point out to wide public in advertisement that they use very old technology seems rather strange to me.)

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PtJaa
This has always puzzled me. CF IIIS is not even their top-of-the-line piano - that's CFX, markedly superior in richness of timbre. So why do they keep bragging about CFIIIS?

What puzzles me more is the price tag they put on this thing in Europe.

They expect you to pay 70 € more for a P-105 with a plastic footswitch than for a Roland F-20 with a real piano-style continuous sustain pedal and SuperNatural Sound (incl. sympathetic resonance). They charge the same price as for a Kawai ES100 with a superior action and 88 note sampling (and also a 16-step piano-style pedal).

And the P-35 price is even more a joke compared to Casio's entry-level offerings.

Last edited by jtsn; 01/22/15 06:18 AM.

Yamaha P-515
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
jtsn
I would assume that they charge that because they think that people will buy it. I assume they're relying more on their brand name than their specs. They're probably right. Most people don't pour over specs the way that we do. They aren't going to be aware that this is more of a side grade than an upgrade. They aren't going to know that the samples are so old and from a lower end piano, because people are easily fooled by dishonest marketing. Yamaha is such a well known brand, people are going to be inclined to trust them. Yamaha is taking advantage of that.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jtsn
And the P-35 price is even more a joke compared to Casio's entry-level offerings.

Thomann shows 448 euros for the P35 vs 569 for the PX150... and personally, even at the same price, I'd take the P35 for its sound/playability (subjective) and its standard MIDI jacks, even though I like the Casio's action better. (I'd choose the Casio if I were driving a software piano, though.)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Thomann shows 448 euros for the P35 vs 569 for the PX150...

The Privia series isn't Casio's entry level offering, that is the CDP series, which is reasonably priced at 350-400 € and isn't missing a few buttons to operate those pianos. The older models also provide native MIDI.

The Privia PX-150 is a level above the P-35, 128-note polyphony, damper pedal resonance, 3 sensor action with ivory like keys, two headphone connectors, USB. Also in the 550-750 € price range there are more options, so you don't have to go for Casio there.

Last edited by jtsn; 01/22/15 10:58 AM.

Yamaha P-515
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jtsn
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Thomann shows 448 euros for the P35 vs 569 for the PX150...

The Privia series isn't Casio's entry level offering, that is the CDP series, which is reasonably priced at 350-400 € and isn't missing a few buttons to operate those pianos. The older models also provide native MIDI.

Oh, right, I forgot about the CDP-130, at 389 euros. I'd still go for the P35. Newer/current CDP models like this still don't have real MIDI jacks, and I think this one has the action from the PX-130 which I don't think is as good as the action in the P35 either. And I think the P35 sounds better, too. So yeah, I still have no problem with how the P35 is priced vis a vis Casio.

L
L
CDP entry line is not a the same level of the P35.
The P35 should be compared with the Privia in my opinion.

Even with lower polyphony and worst specs, the P35 sounds very well and much more realistic than CDP 130.

Roland HP 503 + audio-technica ATH-M40x + M-Audio AV30 Studiophile + Roland duo capture EX

"Nice to see more contenders in the sub-$1k range, but I've lost interest in GHS boards. That has always been my #1 complaint with the lower P-series boards . . . one step up to GH is a MAJOR improvement."

Guess it could be a tad better. It (GHS) could be a lot better for very little outlay imo, but that`d never do. But GH? I think not! Come to think of it, GH3 and some subsequent variations would seem to be similar spec mechanically, but in practice very much better depending (quel surprise) how much you fork out . . . grin Dontcha love it!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Casio action is far far far better than Yamaha's GHS, IMO.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by kapelli
Casio action is far far far better than Yamaha's GHS, IMO.

I agree that the current PX action is better than GHS, but I wouldn't say that about their previous action, which I believe is what they use in their CDP. In that case, I think the GHS is better.

Originally Posted by peterws
(GHS) could be a lot better for very little outlay imo

What do you base that on? I think you'd have to be an engineer who has examined the GHS design to be able to determine that. Really, for the price that GHS boards sell for, I'm not sure anyone has ever done better, until this newest generation of Casios. And whatever Casio did isn't necessarily easily adaptable to other designs, or may be patented... I think it's very hard for an outsider to know how a design can be improved and what it would cost. But hopefully they are working on an improvement!

R
R
Besides what James posted I see no info on these two new keyboards from Yamaha anywhere on their website. As a matter of fact I really don't see any new keyboard offerings from Yamaha at NAMM at all. Maybe I'm missing something?

Nevemind, it seems they are beginning to post things on their site.

Last edited by Rhodie73; 01/22/15 08:39 PM. Reason: Asked too early

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
Look at this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMP45?siid=173864&gclid=CMfYzab0l8QCFQsKaQodZm8Avw

You can look at the picture and see that there's no MIDI in or out ports. And the description just says USB to host. This is for the P45 too, which the poster wrote or copied text that said it has MIDI in out.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
3 years ago this time I purchased a PX130 after having a P95 for 1 1/2 years. I noticed by the summer I was using the PX130 more for the following reasons:

1. Speakers were a little better
2. Action was more realistic
3. Pianos had some more editing options (brightness etc)
4. Fender Rhodes was MUCH better.

I use it for my road board still and it is decent when lining into misc. PA systems.

I am somewhat amused that they just keep repackaging the 95 essentailly year after year.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission