2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
49 members (cygnusdei, deadlymajesty, bxrdad1, CharlesXX, 36251, clothearednincompo, David B, brennbaer, bilb, Boboulus, 7 invisible), 555 guests, and 356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2374909 01/18/15 02:50 AM
gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Just finishing up Beethoven's Opus 110. Starting Beethoven's Opus 54 and Schubert's 960. Working on the accompaniment for Haydn's C major cello concerto. 3 days off from work. I've got the house to myself. This is heaven.

What's everyone else working on? Anything special that will cheer you through the bleak end of winter? ...err... or the sunny end of summer for those of you downunder.

Best regards,

Deborah
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I'm in the midst of preparing for our third B.A.C.H. (Bruce, Anna, Charlotte and Heather) recital of our second season in which all four of us will be performing both solos and duets on February 8 and 10.

After that, it's a bit of a dilemma; I don't know what to work on next, and I have to keep the Piano Summer Academy in mind. I'll probably have to re-cycle some repertoire from this year's recitals for the Academy.

As far as new repertoire is concerned, my teacher has made some suggestions which I think are ambitious, perhaps too ambitious for me. I seem to have run out of inspiring ideas on my own, but perhaps my head will clear when the next pair of recitals is over.

Oh, yes; I have to re-polish the Brahms Op. 117 for next month's PW e-cital. Must not forget about that.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well Bruce,

I met in facebook a certain Deborah, who appears to know you. And she did remind me that you hold quite a few EMF scores... So what about tackling one of them, as far as contemporary music is concerned grin

Personally, I'm very happy as well, cause I have some time to compose now, which is brilliant!

Last edited by Nikolas; 01/18/15 03:31 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I LOVE the Haydn cello concerto in C. I've played it a few times with various cellists.

Right now, I'm still polishing the very first Alkan Chant, learning a couple more Alkan pieces, "En Rythme Molossique" and I need to figure out one more. After I get a little more Alkan out of my system, I'd like to learn a couple Mozart Sonatas. Probably K. 283 (it's a smaller one but I still love it) and K. 332.

gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Well Bruce,

I met in facebook a certain Deborah, who appears to know you. And she did remind me that you hold quite a few EMF scores... So what about tackling one of them, as far as contemporary music is concerned grin

Personally, I'm very happy as well, cause I have some time to compose now, which is brilliant!
Nikolas, that threw me until I realized you must be talking about Debbie TB - whom I also know! Small world. Oh, and I looked, I really tried but could not find a definition for EMF.

Bruce, knowing how you play and knowing your teacher, I vote for tackling those pieces. The harder the music, the more there is to learn.

OSK, - one of my students asked me to accompany her in the Haydn for the state cello competition. I have way too much work to do and too much stress so logically I should have declined but I couldn't say no because it's something I want to do rather than something I have to do. I'm glad I said yes. It's a lovely piece. We're just doing the first movement.

Best regards,

Deborah
E
E
I'm working on Barber's Excursions (and having a heck of a time with the poly-rhythms in the second one), and on Schubert's D-major sonata D. 850 (that slow movement: wow!)

Last edited by Eldridge; 01/18/15 02:53 PM.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog

OSK, - one of my students asked me to accompany her in the Haydn for the state cello competition. I have way too much work to do and too much stress so logically I should have declined but I couldn't say no because it's something I want to do rather than something I have to do. I'm glad I said yes. It's a lovely piece. We're just doing the first movement.

It's so much fun playing repertoire because one wants to instead of has to. However, (speaking only about myself and not anybody else) when I realized how strongly I felt that way, that's when I realized piano as a primary profession was not for me.

An oboe player asked me to accompany him playing an arrangement of Ravel's Sonatine for piano and oboe. It's a little odd on the ears, but it could be a lot worse ha Another piece I've accompanied numerous times now is Ibert's Concertino da camera for saxophone. The finale is very tricky!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
... you hold quite a few EMF scores...

...I looked, I really tried but could not find a definition for EMF.

Just a wild guess: Editions Musica Ferrum, possibly? wink

Learner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Debbie TB... yes... grin I met her under Deborah in facebook and didn't realize much else, until now... heh...

EMF: Editions Musica Ferrum, as malkin says! wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Since I'm no longer in school and don't have any performances coming up, and since I've had a couple weeks of light teaching (winter break) and am temporarily out of work at my other seasonal job and I've caught up on some of my other freelancing gigs (non-musical), I've been free to do some actual practicing for a change.

I've been working on some pieces I somehow never got around to learning before, either when I was younger or when I started playing again: Debussy Claire de Lune & 1st Arabesque, Mendelssohn "Spinning Song" and Rondo Capriccioso. They are part of that long list of pieces I will probably teach and need to be able to have under my fingers.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Debbie TB... yes... grin I met her under Deborah in facebook and didn't realize much else, until now... heh...
Ah, yes, Debbie is a very nice person and extremely talented too. I met her in Victoria at the Summer Piano Academy. She's Canadian. I'm from the U.S. and go by "Deborah". Having slightly different names helps a lot when we are together.

Best regards,

Deborah
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Well Bruce,

Nikolas : I passed all my EMF scores to my teacher in December, before the Winter break so that she could look through them. Some of them I have marked that I want returned to me, with the possibility of my working on some of them. Others seem to be excellent teaching materials for younger students and introduces them to contemporary composers. I have suggested she use them with her students if she wishes to do so.

Debbie B. and I have the same teacher; that's how she knows about my EMF scores, I presume.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]Anything special that will cheer you through the bleak end of winter? ...err... [...]

Well, the first early variety of daffodils is now in bloom here. Yesterday I saw the first cherry blossoms coming out on a tree in downtown Victoria. So much for the bleak winter! All of Canada is not, as Voltaire wrote : "quelques arpents de neige!"

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I forgot to add that I am involved in this, from mid-March to the end of May :

Winterreise

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Well, since I've completed my A.A. in Music and my 5th semester of applied piano studies at community college last semester, I am free for the first time to practice and play as I see fit.

It is a strange and new experience to be free of any time constraints or boundaries on your art other than the ones you place on yourself. I felt that in school I was bogged down with learning pieces that were too difficult for me and too quickly. They became mechanisms for brutal failure and shoddy learning rather than opportunities for creating beautiful music. This made the whole experience very frustrating and I feel very burned out. There was scarcely a single performance I had at school that I was truly satisfied with.

Now that I have freedom, I feel pressured to streamline and correct my practicing habits as well as not succumb to burnout and lose interest completely. I want to focus on the fact that I can take and keep the good of what I learned at school and get rid of the bad. I'm now free to interpret the music the way I choose instead of having every musical detail nitpicked by my instructor. It's what I've always wanted but never had, and now that I have it I find myself beginning a new uncertain journey in discovering what that is actually like.

In my current dilapidated state, I find myself taking it very easy. I play my school pieces slowly and in a relaxed manner, refurbishing them to my musical standards and tastes, while practicing quite leisurely for no more than 2-3 hours a day. I do absolutely nothing that I don't feel like doing. The only new things I've done is examine a couple of Three-Part Bach inventions (C Major and F Minor).

The best thing of all is that I am performing Bach's Prelude and Fugue in G from Book 2 of the Well-Tempered Clavier in a month at a fundraising recital, and I have all the time in the world to make it amazing and sound exactly the way I want it. This will be my first performance from a place of liberation instead of coercion. Wohoo!

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
M
M
For the time being, I've chosen to afflict myself with Beethoven 106 (the continuation of a deep love/hate relationship), and Schumann Kreisleriana (more of a love/love relationship).

gooddog, I recently put my recording of D. 960 in the members' recording area if you want to take a listen smile

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties."
-Chopin
gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Roland The Beagle
Well, since I've completed my A.A. in Music and my 5th semester of applied piano studies at community college last semester, I am free for the first time to practice and play as I see fit.

...This will be my first performance from a place of liberation instead of coercion. Wohoo!
Ronald, you post reminds me that it was for the best that I did not continue pursuing a degree in music. I felt that same withering and feeling of having my beloved music forced down my throat in the few short weeks I attended the conservatory. I didn't like the competitive atmosphere, inflated egos or the damping of my personal interpretations. (I changed my major rather quickly and earned a B.A. in something else entirely.) As a result, my passion for the piano has remained undiminished for decades.

I was also fortunate to find a teacher four years ago who encourages me to find my own musical expression. He will say, "You need to phrase that better", "Did you mean to do that?" "Have you thought about this?" When I ask him how something should be expressed, he will often give me the hardest answer,"What do you think?" Sometimes he will relate the music to a timely event in the composer's life to clarify what he thinks is being said but he will not give me specific, note by note interpretive direction. If I'm lucky he will play the entire piece it for me. ("Would you play the entire Hammerklavier for me from memory?" "Sure!" His playing is magnificent.) He respects my musical ideas if they are well thought out and make sense within the music, even if they are novel. I'm not being taught to imitate. I'm being coached into becoming a musician. Learning with him is a joy.

Best regards,

Deborah
gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mtnmanchuck
gooddog, I recently put my recording of D. 960 in the members' recording area if you want to take a listen smile
The Hammerklavier? Oh my. That one's a challenge. My teacher just scared me off of Opus 31/1 (by playing it) and we settled on Op 54. I wouldn't dare ask for 106.

Re: the Schubert, yes, I'll have a listen as soon as I have some time. Thanks!

Best regards,

Deborah
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just finishing up Beethoven's Opus 110. Starting Beethoven's Opus 54 and Schubert's 960. Working on the accompaniment for Haydn's C major cello concerto. 3 days off from work. I've got the house to myself. This is heaven.

What's everyone else working on? Anything special that will cheer you through the bleak end of winter? ...err... or the sunny end of summer for those of you downunder.

My ears (eyes?) are burning. People participating and referenced in this thread whom I actually know in real life!

Deborah - I assume we will be hearing these in Victoria? I'm working on Bach French Suite #4, Scarlatti sonatas (numbers fail me for the moment), Mendelssohn Song without words op 85 no 5, Selections from Bartok Microkosmos 6 and a couple of other things.

Enjoy your time off! I echo Bruce's observations because its not very winter like here either.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vid
My ears (eyes?) are burning. People participating and referenced in this thread whom I actually know in real life!
Hi Vid! Yes, it's nice to have a civil conversation here at PW without the thread being diverted by someone looking for a tiresome argument. (It's also nice that I know several people in person, like you!) I learned Mendelssohn's Duetto Opus 38/6 as a 4th anniversary gift for my teacher. You'll probably hear that this summer. I'm also hoping to perform some or all of Beethoven's Opus 110. If they are ready, maybe I'll play part of Opus 54 and D960 in class. Can't wait for the VCM Summer Academy. Last time I checked, it wasn't up on the website yet. It's the best two weeks of my year!

I haven't been outside much - too much work and piano - so I haven't noticed spring's arrival. It usually happens the 2nd week of February but if you are seeing it, it's probably here as well.

Best regards,

Deborah
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best piano under 3600$ / 3000€
by PaJaC - 09/21/21 02:11 AM
FP-90 volume problems
by choppin - 09/20/21 10:15 PM
Pictures at an Exhibition: Yuking Chou Brandenburgh
by FrankCox - 09/20/21 08:16 PM
Roland FP30 Headphone/Line out hiss?
by Raf702 - 09/20/21 06:56 PM
Keybeds Korg SV2 vs D1
by David Izquierdo - 09/20/21 06:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,216
Posts3,133,902
Members102,783
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission