2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Hello all,

On Twitter, I heard someone say good things about Christian Blackshaw's Mozart cycle on Wigmore hall. Sampled them, and... hm... maybe the first sonata is a nice performance, but kv 570, 311, all a bit "too" much performer and too little of Mozart... I've put the CD's on:

http://classicalspotify.blogspot.nl/2015/01/christian-blackshaw-mozart-piano.html

What is your opinion about these recordings?

Rolf, Netherlands

Last edited by otterhouse; 01/09/15 11:21 AM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
"Oh, so they can be played that way, too......"

otterhouse, I only listened to K311. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If I wanted to quibble, well, ok,sometimes things got a little too "pretty" .....and some more spirito in the first movement would've been nice(r). But, hey, today's my day off and I just want to be a fan, y'know?

I would be thrilled to hear this cycle live. I like how he creates dynamic sense through voicing, instead of always plainly switching on and off between forte and piano - though when he does do that, it makes the overly piano sections much more effective (Whether or not that is "correct" I don't want to go into....).

The fact that he can pull this off in a hall (I bet it's more easily done in a small room or recording studio) impresses me. At times, the way he colors and projects the top voice does remind me of one of his teachers, Clifford Curzon.

BTW, my current gold standard for the recorded sonata cycle is courtesy of the fortepianist Kristian Bezuidenhout (whose name I just had to google in order to spell!)

Last edited by Gerard12; 01/11/15 12:42 PM.

Piano instruction and performance
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I heard all those performances when they were being broadcast live on BBC Radio 3.

Personally, I prefer more personality and sense of 'danger' in my Mozart than Blackshaw provides - he's too safe too much of the time, though undeniably the playing is very refined.

Kristian Bezuidenhout and Ronald Brautigam, both playing fortepianos, convey that sense of freshness of discovery which I really like. Among those playing modern grands, it's a pity András Schiff's BBC Proms concert from 2006 isn't commercially available - he played K310 and K311 plus several shorter pieces on a Bösendorfer Imperial, with a spontaneity and 'edginess' which eluded him on his Decca recording.

If music be the food of love, play on!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission