2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (c++, brdwyguy, AlphaBravoCharlie, Bruce In Philly, antune, 27 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 609 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
That's a very important aspect that all those proponents of that "Age = Maturity = Profundity" ilk miss.

There is a lot of music (actually, most music) that is not The Last Testament and which, dare I say it, benefits from the impetuosity of youth. I've heard performances of Les Adieux and Appassionata from a couple of famous veteran pianists (who I won't name) which sound like, how shall I put it, they've played them once (or twice) too often. Or maybe, taught them to students once (or twice) too often. In other words, all the freshness have disappeared and been replaced by a didactic and pedantic - and pedestrian - crossing of t's and dotting of i's. They have scrutinized the score rather too often and are seeing too many trees and missing the wood.

This is, of course, not the exclusive preserve of older pianists. Pianists like Rubinstein continued to throw caution to the winds when it came to playing music like the Appassionata live (never mind the dropped notes, feel the danger and absorb the message), even in their old age. I've often felt too, that pianists who do a lot of teaching are much more prone to this than those who mainly perform. They start to read too much into details in the scores, and forget that a performance is not about not missing all the little hairpin stuff the composer wrote, but conveying the complete whole. Being literally true to the score is not the same as being true to the music - and the composer.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Being literally true to the score is not the same as being true to the music - and the composer.

There are the essential features of a composition, and there is intepretation of a composition. A music score includes both.

The conclusion: one can play Urtextian or quite freely, and either way be true (or untrue) to the composer depending on the spirit through which one is moved.

Liszt interpreted music both quite freely and as an Urtextian, and was successful at moving listeners with either of the two approaches.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Not sure I understand this Urtext vs. freely thing.

Urtext scores have fewer markings on them than edited scores. The purpose of working from Urtext scores, for me, is to have MORE interpretive freedom. I want only the composer's directions in front of me, so that I can make all further interpretive decisions, instead of relying on an editor to make them for me.

How would copying an editor's instructions make us more free as interpreters?

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Not sure I understand this Urtext vs. freely thing.

Urtext scores have fewer markings on them than edited scores. The purpose of working from Urtext scores, for me, is to have MORE interpretive freedom. I want only the composer's directions in front of me, so that I can make all further interpretive decisions, instead of relying on an editor to make them for me.

How would copying an editor's instructions make us more free as interpreters?

That is why I, too, prefer Urtext editions. Some things on an Urtext score might, nonetheless, be considered interpretive, rather than as essential features of the composition, as in relation to the idea of using an Urtext score in order for the pianist to be able to make "all further interpretive decisions".

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I am a free interpreter, and I also like Urtext editions. Why? Because I have no use for a convoluted edition resulting from the insertion of the opinions of an editor who may or may not know what he is talking about.

Regards,

Polyphonist
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Everybody has their own experiences in life. They may not be dramatic, but at the time. . .music will resonate to those experiences for each of us. IMO. . .!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Gerard12
[...]
On the other side of the coin: The most surreal recital I've ever experienced was one in which a pair of students from a well known conservatory performed selections from Wintereisse. I kid you not, my first impulse was to wish that I had one of those super-soakers handy...... [...]

Slightly OT :

Gerard12, since you mention a student performance of "Winterreise" :

You may be interested to read that a piano and voice teacher at the local conservatory are giving master classes and individual voice and piano lessons leading to two up-coming complete performances of "Winterreise." One of the performances features the two faculty members; the other performance features voice and piano students who have auditioned to participate. In response to your impulse, please note that the minimum age for both singers and pianists in this project is 30 years. I'm thrilled to have been accepted to participate in this project because of my deep fondness for "Winterreise".

Winterreise project

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by BruceD
Slightly OT :

Gerard12, since you mention a student performance of "Winterreise" :

You may be interested to read that a piano and voice teacher at the local conservatory are giving master classes and individual voice and piano lessons leading to two up-coming complete performances of "Winterreise." One of the performances features the two faculty members; the other performance features voice and piano students who have auditioned to participate. In response to your impulse, please note that the minimum age for both singers and pianists in this project is 30 years. I'm thrilled to have been accepted to participate in this project because of my deep fondness for "Winterreise".

Winterreise project

Regards,
What are you singing? laugh

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
What are you singing? laugh
laugh ha

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
It seems to me that when this issue comes up, it is over-simplified into some kind of either/or thing, which is silly. It's an interesting issue, and a very complex one, I think, in regard to performing classical music and there is no "one size fits all" sort of answer, unless it is that for many performers, life experience and musical experience will indeed somehow affect their perspective on what they are doing. But even that isn't universal - some performers seem to see classical music as a sort of separate, idealized world that shouldn't be affected very much by anything as mundane as their own personal experience.

It's funny that in the article, the author pretty much drops the "suffering" aspect shortly after the beginning of the piece, in favor of more general kinds of experience and maturation.

It might have been a more useful exploration of the issue if the article had focused on a group of "senior" pianists who have played a lot of Beethoven, and reported on what those folks think about how their interpretations have or haven't changed. They are the ones who have the inside dope on the issue, after all.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
OT:

[/quote] ......I'm thrilled to have been accepted to participate in this project because of my deep fondness for "Winterreise".

Winterreise project

[/quote]

Wow! That is thrilling, Bruce.....Congrats!

Piano instruction and performance
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,115
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission