2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (Ben_NZ, cygnusdei, Boboulus, Dave Horne, beeboss, choppin, Animisha, CraiginNZ, 12 invisible), 868 guests, and 393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bnolsen
Earlier this week over 2 hours we had a 40F temp drop accompanied by a 60% jump in humidity. Yesterday I brought a tuner with me to piano class and found upper notes as much as 20cents sharp and lower notes 10cents flat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stretched_tuning

Yamaha P-515
B
B
thanks jtsn. So I need to find a better way of measuring and expressing the "honkey tonk" sound the steinways are putting out now.

Interesting read on the stretch tuning. The acoustic strings I've played I always set them up to be as close to on pitch as possible all the way up and down the frets.

Last edited by bnolsen; 11/14/14 04:09 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do modern DPs have the facility to be detuned slightly or revoiced so as to sound slightly out, not quite honky tonk but what I call deliciously out of tune? A bit like in this video. I love the tone of this old Bechstein!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szOwpGgGqfg

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1

My Facebook Piano Group
C
C
Originally Posted by LarryShone
Do modern DPs have the facility to be detuned slightly or revoiced so as to sound slightly out, not quite honky tonk but what I call deliciously out of tune? A bit like in this video. I love the tone of this old Bechstein!

(AFAIK) I know no digital piano able to do this (maybe the V-Piano but not in a easy way?). But Pianoteq software allows very easily with a slider to simulate a custom degree of worn and deterioration of pianos. It's fun to use. At the interface, right over the keyboard you have a slider, where you can choose from mint condition to worn (and hundreds of intermediate states between them...)

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by CarloPiano

(AFAIK) I know no digital piano able to do this (maybe the V-Piano but not in a easy way?).

The V-Piano (& Grand) allows you to detune the unison strings very easily - at the turn of the main dial, in fact. From -100 (totally in tune) to +100 (far beyond honky-tonk.....). Or if you just want a 'general' honky-tonk, there's a factory preset called...."Honky-Tonk" grin, which sounds like your typical somewhat-out-of-tune bar upright piano.

You can also choose to detune specific notes, or groups of notes, or....just one note. Again, very easily. Also, you can vary the amount of 'stretch tuning', again with a turn of the dial.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Sure, I'd expect digital pianos to way outsell acoustics. You can get them for a lot less money. And as mentioned above, a single buyer will often replace a DP with another after some years, whereas acoustics don't get "upgraded" much. I'd also add that many people who buy acoustics *also* buy digitals, because they still want something for silent practice, or something portable, or something with other sounds or fun features to play with. Heck, I have multiple digital pianos myself... but only one acoustic.

Some higher specification DPs allow individual notes to be tuned, if desired. It would take some patience, but I believe this would achieve a 'nicely out of tune' sound.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
P
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Sure, I'd expect digital pianos to way outsell acoustics. You can get them for a lot less money. And as mentioned above, a single buyer will often replace a DP with another after some years, whereas acoustics don't get "upgraded" much. I'd also add that many people who buy acoustics *also* buy digitals, because they still want something for silent practice, or something portable, or something with other sounds or fun features to play with. Heck, I have multiple digital pianos myself... but only one acoustic.

+1. I have multiple digital pianos, but I still have the same acoustic baby grand piano since I was 6 years old!

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
C
C
Different tools for different purposes.

I'd love to have a new acoustic, but, due to the fact that my house(s) are in the flood-prone zone, I'd rather lift a 40-kg digital upstairs than struggle to raise a 200-kg monster a foot off the ground like I had to when the flood hit Bangkok a few years ago(and may not even escape the water).

Also, it's the ability to play at any hour of the day/night that a digital becomes necessary. Although I live in a detached house, but the sound of an acoustic can travel and disturb the neigbours at 01:00 hr.

And I'm no classical player. So a decent action is just fine for me.

However, if I can afford to have the ideal environment for a new acoustic, even for an upright, I'd certainly get one. Nothing beats the natural sounds of a decent acoustic piano.

- Anirut J.
Out-of-tune mid 70's acoustic Bentley upright and Casio Celviano AP-450
M
M
Originally Posted by bennevis
How long will it be before acoustics will be relegated to just one or two main stores, and only in main cities

We are just a few years away from that time, I think. Surely within the next 15-20 years, if not even sooner.

The DPs will improve to the point that it will be near impossible for listeners to tell the difference between DPs and acoustics. And DPs will be much less costly to buy and maintain. At that point, very few will be able to justify buying an acoustic, because their cost will have grown even higher, as there will be far fewer people with the skills necessary to build and service them than has been the case in the past.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The whole discussion about acoustic versus digital make me laugh........

Of course there is a difference. An acoustic sounds different to a digital. There are: Advantages and disadvantages about both.

But for all nice music depends of which music you play and how you play it. A good pianist will enjoy the listener.

My digital can: Growl, sparkle, dance, mourn, sounds happy etc. It's up to the player if you can move your public. It's the music and its spirit that counts.......

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 11/15/14 04:48 AM.

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Johan,

Very well stated.

"My digital can: Growl, sparkle, dance, mourn, sounds happy etc. It's up to the player if you can move your public. It's the music and its spirit that counts......."

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain Pedal Use
by john fh - 09/25/21 02:13 AM
Insulted a Kawai salesman with straight talk
by Cristofori - 09/25/21 01:37 AM
Berg Sieben Früher Lieder and more
by MinscAndBoo - 09/24/21 08:47 PM
Free Books
by Larry Fine - 09/24/21 07:18 PM
Need help finding a piece (Streabbog?)
by cygnusdei - 09/24/21 06:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,282
Posts3,134,982
Members102,816
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission