2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2332273 09/29/14 05:33 PM
C
Cheeky Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi there

Can anyone explain the difference between the U1 and YUS1? Is it true that U1 is still a more popular model even after YUS1 were released?

Thanks.

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
The YUS1 is the "Super" U-series according to Yamaha's website. It's not a replacement, it is the newest model iteration of a long-standing tradition of "Super" Yamaha uprights. An exact spec difference is hard to obtain, but it is meant to be a more exclusive, limited series. These would not replace or even commercially complete with the U1 as Yamaha's standard institutional offering. The YUS1 is rare to find outside of the largest markets here in the US.

Earlier "Super" models included W-series as well as YU-series and a whole list of models marketed in different countries that we often see imported to the US, like UX-series. I imagine many of these make it to Australia, too.

To experience them, they generally sound like a more refined, warmer and yet more colorful version of their U-series counterpart.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi there

Can anyone explain the difference between the U1 and YUS1? Is it true that U1 is still a more popular model even after YUS1 were released?

Thanks.

The biggest difference is price. Here in the US standard U-1's can be had at good discounts; YUS-1 not so much so. The result is a big price difference.

In terms of materials, the YUS-1 has different hammers and strings from the standard U-1. Yamaha says that the hammers and strings used are better quality.

Like Sam mentioned, the tone of the YUS-1 is warmer and more complex. The attack part of the tone is more subdued. But to my ears, the tone difference between the YUS-1 and the U-1 is not that great because the latest model standard U-1 has a redesigned hammer and different voicing from previous U-1's. As a result the two sound quite simmilar.

In my opinion, the difference between a new U-1 and a U-1 of ten years ago is much easier to hear than the difference between the current U-1 and the YUS-1.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Doesn't the YUS-1 have Ivorite key tops where the standard U's don't?

C
Cheeky Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks smile

So the YUS models are not meant to stay then? The U3 is not available in Australia now, only YUS3 and YUS5. Are they likely to stay?

Since U1's have been around for a long time, surely the materials change over the years, but how do you tell between models? Do you tell by the year of manufacture, like cars? Are the differences negligible? For example, if I am interested to buy one now, should I wait till early next year for new stock??

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Since U1's have been around for a long time, surely the materials change over the years, but how do you tell between models? Do you tell by the year of manufacture, like cars? Are the differences negligible? For example, if I am interested to buy one now, should I wait till early next year for new stock??

The U1 has evolved slowly over the decades of production, so in that sense it's not like a car…where models are revamped every 3-5 years (either completely, incrementally, or cosmetically). Other companies, like their competitor Kawai, tend to change model names and features more frequently. I am unaware of any major changes that are afoot for the coming year (though I'm not really the best source for that info), so anything from brand new to a couple of years old is pretty much the same standard of design, materials, and quality.

Unlike a car, it's better to buy a floor model that's had some time to settle, have a few "test drives", and get a few rounds of tuning and adjustments prior to home delivery. The "break-in" period for a piano is a little more eventful, expensive, and time-consuming than that of a car.

Of the YUS models, I tend to see the YUS5 the most frequently at dealers, and it is very well-liked, though not inexpensive. I don't think I've ever seen a YUS1. This would not be a reason to avoid it, though - any vertical piano that's an upgraded version of the U1 is probably quite a nice one!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks smile

So the YUS models are not meant to stay then? The U3 is not available in Australia now, only YUS3 and YUS5. Are they likely to stay?

Who said the YUS models aren't here to stay? It's simple. The U-series are their mass produced series made in Japan. The YUS are not massed produced. They have several better components and they spend more time voicing and regulating them.

Read more here:
http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall14/199.html

The U series have been around for decades and so have the C series grands. But a couple years ago Yamaha intro'd the Cx series to replace the C series. I wonder if they'll carry over some of those design improvements over to the U series, call it Ux (wait, I think they've used that already). Sorry, I'm probably just adding to your confusion.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I hope they do.

I've had three different professionals who have either worked on and/or played my C2X, and all of them have noted something to the effect that the 2012 improvements are noticeable compared to the later C series.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My mother (on my recommendation) bought a YUS-1 about 3 years ago. There were 2 "similar" models to choose from - from memory, the other was a U1J, and was made in Indonesia, and was quite unsatisfying to play. The YUS-1, in comparison was made in Japan is quite a nice piano to play, heaps better than the U1J. I preferred the YUS-3 (or 5), but she preferred the smaller size. It is still available in Australia. The only thing I don't like is that the stool is a little low - but then, I'm used to an adjustable stool on my grand.

I felt it was maybe a little improved in touch over the U1 I played for years in my Church, (though it was 25 years ago when that one was bought, so I would expect improvements).

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission