2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
tjbron Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well, I took a step closer to the possibility of owning a piano and stopped by a local piano shop the other day! (Many more visits, and pianos, and months to go - not taking this fast). And wow, I just realized I wrote a novel here... in short, would like to hear if my experience is similar to others.

From a lot of reading I've done, I tend to really like the idea of M&H pianos, and have now had the pleasure of playing some. I've read the forums and Larry Fine's articles on piano shopping, but having not played a real piano in so long, wasn't sure if I would have the ear or touch to discern things. Pleasantly surprised that I did.

I got to play a new Mason and Hamlin A first, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. (Maybe I let it get overhyped in my head?) I mean, it was nice, but I thought the action wasn't as responsive as I wanted, and I heard a very distinct change in tone as I stepped over into the non-dampered high notes, to a tone I didn't care for.

Next to it, they had a new AA model. Obviously this is moving up the line in size and price, so it should be better, but I found the experience like night and day. Couldn't hear that transition in the treble, and it just had a much better sound and feel, in my highly descriptive terminology.

I didn't think there would have been that big of a difference in action (aren't they both WNG?) and sound. My question is just if this is similar to the experience of others, or maybe had more to do with preparation (or lack thereof). For the meager increase in price, I'd say the AA is tremendously better.

On the other side of it was a totally rebuilt, 100 year old Steinway, (have no idea the model), which blew away the M&H A in light responsive touch and sound clarity. But being that likely the only thing original Steinway about it was the case, it made me wonder, what exactly is it?

Well, thanks for letting me ramble.

1927 Mason & Hamlin BB, 1975 Chickering Queen Anne Grand
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by tjbron
On the other side of it was a totally rebuilt, 100 year old Steinway, (have no idea the model), which blew away the M&H A in light responsive touch and sound clarity. But being that likely the only thing original Steinway about it was the case, it made me wonder, what exactly is it?

Well, thanks for letting me ramble.

It is a piano you liked. That means more than the label on the fallboard.

Semipro Tech
S
S
I agree with BDB. And the only way to be sure what you like is to play lots of pianos--even those larger and more expensive than what you are looking for. That way when you hit upon "the one", you'll know.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Well said BDB!

Couldn't agree more

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

If it's rebuilt, it means a rebuilder spent a lot of time making it really nice (tautologically).

If the touch was really so much nicer as you say, then it was probably the regulation being better in the rebuilt piano. M&H should be in the same class as Steinway on touch when both are regulated well.

Poetry is rhythm
T
tjbron Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I finally had a chance to go back for some more piano experience. Trying to develop my opinions so I can make a decision one day. I played a couple M&H AAs again, but it just seemed like I could not get to pianissimo. Maybe they are just better for loud playing, or maybe I'm just timid, but I like to play delicately at times. I keep wanting to love the M&H's, but have ended up being disappointed. I am totally trying to be open minded about fallboard names, especially now.

I did get to play an Estonia 190, and I was impressed with the tone and response. Does anyone know what type of wood they use on the inside of the rim? It is beautiful and unique. A light colored wood, almost with a knurled look to it. Hard to find any good photos. Here's one:
Estonia Grand

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The inside rim of my Estonia is bubinga, similar in detail but reddish in tone, but the inside of the Estonia in the photograph looks lighter. It may be, though, that the camera registered the contrast greater because of the bulk of the piano being black.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
J
Sometimes it's ploy with piano stores to put a "regulated" piano next to a smaller, less expensive, piano so that you would like the bigger, more expensive one better. Buyer beware.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
I played a couple M&H AAs again, but it just seemed like I could not get to pianissimo. Maybe they are just better for loud playing, or maybe I'm just timid, but I like to play delicately at times. I keep wanting to love the M&H's, but have ended up being disappointed. I am totally trying to be open minded about fallboard names, especially now.

The newly designed M&H AA is a loud piano. It has a light action with low inertia, as well as fairly heavy, hard/dense hammers which makes it easier to get a lot of volume with very little effort.

I did get to play an Estonia 190, and I was impressed with the tone and response. Does anyone know what type of wood they use on the inside of the rim? It is beautiful and unique. A light colored wood, almost with a knurled look to it.

That wood is birch. It is now standard on the inner rim of the 190. I like it a lot and used to sometimes special order the 190 with it rather than the bubinga. The bubinga is very handsome looking.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
If it looks like this, it's called "Kirelian", a rare wood from Finland

[Linked Image]

Norbert smile

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
You didn't mention your budget. Did you try the larger BB Mason-Hamlin? I think it is comparable to the Steinway B or other top level seven foot pianos and a great value. You can also find a recently used one from time to time and save some money over new and yet still get a fairly new piano not needing a lot of work.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm sure if you play a very well prepped Mason & Hamlin A you'll have a different experience and therby different opinion. We recently received a new one that even the tech doing the prep said was an amazing 5'8" piano out playing the other similar sized American piano in the same price tier as M&H.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Steingraeber,Grotrian,Mason&Hamlin,Petrof,Estonia,Steinberg,Schulze-Pollmann,Baldwin,
Ritmuller,Perzina,Pearl River,Hardman,Roland,Used Steinway
T
tjbron Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you everyone, for your great comments!

it's called "Kirelian"

That's exactly what I saw. Liked it a lot!

You didn't mention your budget. Did you try the larger BB Mason-Hamlin? I think it is comparable to the Steinway B or other top level seven foot pianos and a great value. You can also find a recently used one from time to time and save some money over new and yet still get a fairly new piano not needing a lot of work.

For budget, it is not totally strict, but I am finding it hard to convince myself that I need to spend over $30k on a piano, and preferably less. I am finding my tastes fall quite above that in the "new" regime. I briefly tried the BB at the store, but did not pay a lot of attention to it, as I was quoted a price upwards of $60k. I would be happy with a nice used piano, but have recently realized how challenging it would be to find "The One" via Craigslist/used at a store/etc. Even in a metro of 4 million. And I have no idea at all how I would ever be able to commit to one long distance (AZ desert dweller, here). I've read Fine's guide, but any advice on how to approach finding a used piano would be appreciated. Seems like a lot of luck is involved, and I'm not really sure how to dive in.

I'm sure if you play a very well prepped Mason & Hamlin A you'll have a different experience and therby different opinion.

I bet you are right. I didn't care for the one I played several months ago, didn't feel it was prepped well, and there wasn't one to sample this time. A good excuse to make a return visit to the piano store! Would also like to go to the Yamaha dealer to see what else is out there. Plus I might get to play a Bosendorfer, haha.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission