2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Morning everyone,

I am buying a new digital piano on Saturday. I am looking at the two as described in the subject. I will be testing them before I buy but should I be looking out for anything in particular?

I am currently learning on a Roland FP7F which belongs to my piano teacher. I have at home a Yamaha Piaggero NPV-60 (I also learn on this) which I must say is absolutely useless in the sense that the keys are not weighted and they bounce back on springs! Useless for exam standards anyway.

The Casio PX750 has SCALED HAMMER ACTION TRI-SENSOR keyboard and the Yamaha has GRADED HAMMER STANDARD. Not graded hammer action/GH3/GH3X/NW which I understand is better.

Are the keyboards on the above two the same thing? I'm worried I won't be able to tell the difference at my level of experience (which is only grade 2 ABRSM)! If I don't notice this difference now I'm thinking I may do as my experience broadens and then it's more money I will have to spend on a new one.

Will this get me through all the grades comfortably? I cannot afford anymore than £600-700 frown

Thanks so much and sorry for all the questions.

P.S am really not fussed whether my digital piano has YAMAHA or CASIO stamped on it.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
In hat price range, Casio is the way to go - assuming you like it. You really have to play them, and you will be able to tell the difference, so don't worry. The GHS is not as good, and for your money you will get more out of the Casio. Either are a great improvement over the Piaggero, however, and will be better preparation for exams.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
I have the YDP142 and I'm at grade 2 level.
I like it and don't really have any problems when I play on my teacher's acoustic upright during lessons.

I haven't played the PX750 so sorry I can't give a comparison.

Last edited by bozzo; 07/21/14 04:28 PM. Reason: fix typo
L
L
Any chance you can try out YDPS51B too? A music store near me had that model cheaper than YDP142 and it has GH action.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
What Morodiene said.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
B
Have to agree with morodienne. A nice thing about this price level of pianos is that you can play them side by side at a place like guitar center without getting too much attention from the sales staff.

IMHO none of the digitals at this price range feel like a real acoustic. I suspect the casio might be a tad more realistic. The only ydp model I thought was nice (meaning a noticeable improvement in action over my 20 year old clavinova) was the ydp181. However at its price range there are far superior choices.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by bnolsen
Have to agree with morodienne. A nice thing about this price level of pianos is that you can play them side by side at a place like guitar center without getting too much attention from the sales staff.

IMHO none of the digitals at this price range feel like a real acoustic. I suspect the casio might be a tad more realistic. The only ydp model I thought was nice (meaning a noticeable improvement in action over my 20 year old clavinova) was the ydp181. However at its price range there are far superior choices.

The YDP161 has the same keyboard as the 181 and is a very nice instrument - about €150 more than the YDP141. Also, since the P155 has now been replaced by the P255, you can get the P155 cheaper - going rate seems to be £799.

This is a much better bet than most of the above mentioned, apart possibly from the Casios, if you like their sound & action. But, all in all, the Yamaha P155 must be the better intrument, IMO though it's a bit above your original price range - but only by £99 smile

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by toddy
Originally Posted by bnolsen

The YDP161 has the same keyboard as the 181 and is a very nice instrument - about €150 more than the YDP141. Also, since the P155 has now been replaced by the P255, you can get the P155 cheaper - going rate seems to be £799.

This is a much better bet than most of the above mentioned, apart possibly from the Casios, if you like their sound & action. But, all in all, the Yamaha P155 must be the better intrument, IMO though it's a bit above your original price range - but only by £99 smile

If you're going to go to that kind of price range, the Casio PX-850, and possibly AP-450 become relevant. Although the same action, you're then doubling polyphony to 256, and a fair degree of other stuff that's relevant to the sound engine.

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
If you are doing ABRSM, then just bite the bullet and get the Yamaha CLP-525 or Kawai CN24. You will outgrow the entry-level stuff by ABRSM 4 and you'll have to upgrade then anyway.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
If you are doing ABRSM, then just bite the bullet and get the Yamaha CLP-525 or Kawai CN24. You will outgrow the entry-level stuff by ABRSM 4 and you'll have to upgrade then anyway.

The P155 would be just as capable of handling higher ABRSM levels than the CN24 or CLP525. Also, possibly the Casios, especially if linked to an (inexpensive) virtual piano. In fact, it would be better, I think.

And the Yamaha P155 has the same keyboard system as the CLP-525, minus the third sensor, admittedly useful for a very few pieces of early 20th century, but hardly essential.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Yes agree, saying "you'll have to upgrade" is a bit too strong. GH action is probably good enough for most repertoire. I should have said, you'll itch to upgrade by ABRSM 4 again. The OP is itching to upgrade now before he needs it, really. Why go the really expensive route of buying a new keyboard every 2 to 3 years? Not having the 3rd sensor, every time you do trills by ABRSM 4 you will wonder would that have gone better if I had the 3rd sensor? Answer is no, but you'd still wonder, actually certain legato chords do benefit from having the 3rd sensor, any time legato chords requires repeating some or all the same notes.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
All Casios have three sensors - but I'm just wondering whether the 3rd sensor is so necessary - not for turns, mordants or trills. For tremolo on a single note, of course yes but that's not an effect very often employed.....Ravel likes it a lot though.

T
T
I would not recommend a CLP-525. There are cheaper and better out there from other brands.

From a Yamaha perspective, with the CLP-535 and higher you at least get the new Yamaha CFX and Bösendorfer Imperial voices, "better" action (at least in theory), Key-Off samples, String Resonance, WAV recording abilities and more.

Edit:

Of course this is not my money I am spending either smile

Last edited by theoak; 07/23/14 05:10 PM.
You can chew on the technical specs for ever and get nowhere. Just go and try them, go home and try them again. It`s goit to be what you prefer; the Yamaha 142 looks awful, the Casio looks good-ish. Yamahas are usually bulletproof, Casios have much improved. Pay special attention to the action and feel of the keys. You`ll have fun on whatever you get; they`ll both do the job well.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission