2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PeterRT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
In the stickied thread "Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$" the author makes this comment
the best "bang for the buck" option is to buy a cheap digital piano, or MIDI controller, with a good key action, and connect it to a computer (a cheap new laptop should be enough) to let a great software produce the piano sound
I posted in that thread but didn't get a response.

What are some good options for "a cheap digital piano, or MIDI controller, with a good key action"?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Take a look at the Casio PX-5S. It will do all that and more. Other newer PXs have the same action if you don't particular like the 5S but like the feel. If you need built-in speakers, maybe the Yamaha DGX-650. These are under $1K and both good enough that you should get a lot out of them with or without needing to use the computer.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Any digital piano with MIDI connections or MIDI over USB will work as a controller. That's all digital pianos. Most agree that the Casio PX 150 (which has the same keyboard as all Casio's higher level pianos) has the best action in its price range.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
P
PeterRT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks. In the stickied thread I mentioned, the author liked the Kawai ES100, which sells for about $800. So I had the impression you can get a good controller for less than that.

The Casio PX-5S sells for about $1,000.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
If you intend to use the computer as your sound-generator, the Casio PX-150 is a less-expensive option than the PX5s. It has the same keyboard mechanism.

The PX-150 doesn't have "real MIDI" jacks. It has a "MIDI-over-USB" jack, which (with a proper cable) lets your computer _think_ that it has MIDI jacks. For computer-to-keyboard communication, that works fine.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think this is a contradiction:
Originally Posted by PeterRT
the best "bang for the buck" option is to buy a cheap digital piano, or MIDI controller, with a good key action ...
You can get a cheap piano, or you can get good key action ... but not both.

P
PeterRT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
The PX-150 doesn't have "real MIDI" jacks. It has a "MIDI-over-USB" jack, which (with a proper cable) lets your computer _think_ that it has MIDI jacks.

I'm currently using an old Kawai synth hooked up to a Focusrite interface with ASIO drivers. Do you happen to know if there is an ASIO driver for the PX-150?

The ASIO driver is for the sound card (Focusrite), not for the piano keyboard.

Unless the keyboard came with specific USB driver software, it will need no driver. Just plug it in to your PC.

there HAVE BEEN FOLK ON THE aDULT bEGINNERS fORUM WHO`VE PLAYED WONDERFUL STUFF ON THE cASIO px150 COMBINED with software piano. Makes this about the cheapest option for good results imo. They make great controllers by all accounts.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
PeterRT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Unless the keyboard came with specific USB driver software, it will need no driver. Just plug it in to your PC.

In that case it would use the built-in Windows driver. My concern is with latency. Whenever I've used non-ASIO drivers the latency has been significant.

[edit] After thinking about it some more I realize I only experienced latency with interfaces. I once tried a controller plugged directly into a computer and it was fine.

Last edited by PeterRT; 07/17/14 12:15 PM.
M
M

In that case it would use the built-in Windows driver. My concern is with latency. Whenever I've used non-ASIO drivers the latency has been significant.

The ASIO4all driver usually works well for most people. You won't really know about latency until you get your DP hooked up to your PC, so that shouldn't influence your DP purchase.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
PeterRT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Morodiene

The ASIO4all driver usually works well for most people. You won't really know about latency until you get your DP hooked up to your PC, so that shouldn't influence your DP purchase.

I'm not looking for a DP though. I'm looking for a controller or a DP to use as a controller.

Last edited by PeterRT; 07/17/14 12:19 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I'm not looking for a DP though. I'm looking for a controller or a DP to use as a controller.

Are you looking to use it for a synth controller and not necessarily piano software? In that case, yes, there are a lot of low end options with not-so-good actions you could use. I don't think you'll get a lot of specifics here because most people here aren't poking around in the really low-end market. I used to have a Yamaha YPG with "soft touch" that I picked up for $300. It had a USB MIDI port that worked fine with my iPad. The really low end won't even have MIDI.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Do you want the controller to be like a piano, or like a normal electronic keyboard? If it's the first, then the Casio PX series (cheapest is PX150) is generally considered best - at around $500. It has a full 88 weighted hammer action keyboard, so feels something like a grand piano's keyboard.

Of course Yamaha, Kawai and Roland etc also do budget level DPs, but not with this quality of keyboard, for this price.

If you need a normal sprung action keyboard, then the cheapest home keyboard with midi or USB will do.

If you need the controller for more advanced MIDI control, like dividing the keyboard into zones, pitch bending and modulation, then a stage keyboard such as Casio PX5s would be ok.

But there are lots of quite well equipped controllers, such as CME UF70 if piano action is not required , and you needn't spend more than 2 or 3 hundred dollars.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

P
PeterRT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'm looking for a controller with piano like action that will control piano software.

I'm surprised a $500 DP is better than a $500 controller. I guess that has something to do with Casio's economies of scale.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Usually, a DP will cost a lot more than a non-piano type keyboard - even one which has advanced control functions can be pretty cheap. The development, manufacture and assembly piano hammer type keyboards is expensive, and other generic type keyboards can be used in all kind of instruments, so the cost comes down.

The PX5s is a stage keyboard with sound engine, control functions and a piano type keyboard, so it's more (@ $1000) than the cheapest DP with that quality of keyboard, which is the PX150 (@ ~$500).

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I'm running a PX-350 (using the MIDI-over-USB) into my laptop PC, and using Pianoteq as my sound generator.

The ASIO4ALL driver is running the laptop's built-in soundcard. There is no special driver installed for the MIDI-over-USB connection; Pianoteq just picks it up.

I have no discernable latency. That is, when I have both the PX-350's sound generator running, and Pianoteq running, and hit a key, I hear _one_ attack, not two.

. Charles

PS - I guess I should try recording both sound generators with Audacity, and check the first 20 msec of the "attack" to see if there's a lag. But I can't hear it, or feel it, and I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
P
P
If you don't need advanced MIDI controller functions (like splits, zones, etc) as suggested the cheapest option with good piano action is Casio PX-150
A big step up in piano action is Kawai ES100, at $800 US.

Last edited by gg22; 07/17/14 07:04 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'd recommend the PX-5S over the PX-150, as a MIDI controller. The reason is the old style MIDI jacks of the PX-5S. At least get a piano with MIDI jacks, although it's best to have both, that is, MIDI over USB as well. Using MIDI over USB can introduce a ground loop, with it's undesirable humming.

I got it in my setup of the PX-5S. Can't remember exactly how my setup was, think I was setting up for a software piano, but as soon as I unplugged my USB cable, and swithced to the MIDI jacks, no hum whatsoever.

Last edited by TheodorN; 07/17/14 07:44 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
E
E
What about Oxygen 88? It has weighted keys. I'm between this and the cheapest DP (in my place) Korg SP 170S.
I already have Oxygen 49 and I love it as a controller. The Oxygen 88 seems even with a better built quality.

The problem with Korg SP 170S is it has only Midi Out, but I have (like the OP) a focusrite audio interface with Midi in/out so it won't be a big problem.

I think we just need to check the velocity response. Some keyboards have a problem in that. Anyway, I'm a beginner in Piano learning, so I don't know if Oxygen 88 (or Kurzweil using Fatar in their keyboards) is on par with Casio PX 150 for example (which is higher than my budget) and if it will be suitable for learning Piano?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission