2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (ada d., Alex Hutor, brennbaer, astrotoy, Animisha, 0day, brdwyguy, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,070 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi guys!

So, I've been meaning to ask what everyone thinks of the piano lessons that are provided with Apple's free Garageband software? There is a video of a guy who walks you through a few classical & pop pieces and the grand staff is on the screen as well. He talks about the history of the piece, the fingering, and in my opinion does a great job. This is the kind of thing my piano teacher would loathe, but my disclaimer is that I'm not just following finger numbers I actually can (slowly) read music.

That said, in the version of Fur Elise he has an interesting approach starting with measure 13 (the E's). It goes against the score I have, but is far easier to play. I know there is no "wrong or right" fingering, but what is your take on this?

Essentially he is playing the two E's above middle C with the RH although the score I have notates that one is with the LH and one with the RH if that makes sense. Any thoughts on this?

I'm referring to the circled section of the pic here:
http://imgur.com/mBjYoTl

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I can appreciate you may have found an easier way to play this section however the original I think works best for:

a) playing the same "e" twice with the same finger is usually avoided if possible. Played by another finger and in this case the other hand, the sound will be altered even although this may not be perceptible to most. This becomes a whole new challenge in the third section with the same note being played repeatedly but with alternating fingers.

b) the octave run in "e" in the left hand maybe more technically challenging but worth learning to do well for future works. Arpeggio's are going to come up again and again so might as well get good at them.

c) this is a piece that requires a smooth interplay between the hands as the melody moves from one to the other. Again my view is to embrace the challenge for future development.

However as you already stated fingering is personal but one has to be careful. Many times I have deviated from suggested fingering only to find after a while it may have been the best solution in the first place. If caught in time it is no big deal however the longer you work on a piece the harder it is to change.

Last edited by earlofmar; 06/01/14 02:06 AM.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I get the impression from GarageBand and instructional videos for such things as.... well... They're more for the curious. To develop that curiosity. Once established. They can move on to other more in depth comprehensive things.

I'm already there from the beginning. Instead of GarageBand, I use Reaper now. I paid for it also. I do think GarageBand is great for what it is intended for.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
S
What Earlofmar said. I just tried playing "the Es" using the alternate fingering and I have to agree. I can't see getting the high degree of finesse necessary if using the same finger repeatedly. The beauty of this piece come from the degree of interplay and finesse required to make the notes musical. This is especially true with later sections, which are even more technically demanding.

I'd be curious to know if garage band has the full version of Fur Elise, or just the "easy", abbreviated version.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Earlofmar, I'll go back to the original.

Silver keys- they just have the "easy" abbreviated version. As Rnaple suggested, Garageband is more of a way to get people excited about playing anything on the piano. They include four classical pieces you can play and practice in ascending difficulty: Minuet in F Major (Mozart); Musette in G Major (Bach); Fur Elise (Beethoven); and Prelude in A Major (Chopin).

They also have 9 fundamental courses in basic piano (scales, major/minor chords, rhythm, etc) and 6 videos on pop piano (inversions and broken chords, 7th chords, melodic embellishment, etc).

I just think they are fun and interesting. I imagine if I were to only use Garageband as my source of knowledge I'd get on the wrong track quickly, but that is what my teacher is for. Sometimes I need something like Garageband to keep things "fun".

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by PianoGamer
That said, in the version of Fur Elise he has an interesting approach starting with measure 13 (the E's). It goes against the score I have, but is far easier to play. I know there is no "wrong or right" fingering, but what is your take on this?
Ivo Pogorelich and, lately, I play it this way, too.

Fingering and note distribution between the hands is one of the first tasks I do when I take a new piece to the piano.

As to the repeated A's in the second episode, the use of alternating fingers was an early practise to allow the escapement time to recover before the key was repeated. Modern actions, since the double escapement in 1821, haven't needed this but it can still help with the phrasing and grouping. Neither Lisitsa nor Pogorelich use the alternating finger technique. I haven't looked further afield.

As a side note, the measure numbering is odd. The 8th bar is 8a for the 1st time and 8b for the 2nd time in standard counting practise. The bars marked 12 and 17 in the image are 11 and 16 in the Henle urtext though I have seen this with the repeat written out in full and the bar numbers there are completely awry (versus the urtext).

Richard
P
OP Offline
P
Interesting , thanks Richard. I'll get a copy of my teacher's urtext and go by that. She is always going "off" on publishers and how barely any of them get things right (especially when it comes to finger numbering). lol Let's just say she has strong opinions.

What you're saying about measure 8a/b makes sense though.

I love Valentina's interpretation by the way especially in the video below; the laughter in the beginning is priceless. I know her views on classical music and her dislike of the elitism associated with it. I wonder if her playing this piece as an encore was sending a certain message... regardless I love it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAsDLGjMhFI

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Line outs recording vs USB recording
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/10/22 09:33 AM
I'm playing in a special recital!
by Sam S - 08/10/22 09:25 AM
Great Piano Tutorial
by Bart K - 08/10/22 03:54 AM
Piano mindset
by pablobear - 08/10/22 01:37 AM
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/09/22 11:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,326
Posts3,215,216
Members106,055
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission