2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 80 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 79 80
T
T
When you say output levels are ok , did you compare with other boards ?
By the way , volume on the headphones output is pretty good , it's via the lines out (L/R) that I find it pretty low when comparing to my others boards

Last edited by Tritok; 05/08/14 08:39 PM.

Fantom X8 , Motif es6 , CME UF80 v2 , Kawai MP7

Ivory II american D ,Vi labs Ravenscroft 275, KAWAI Ex pro Acoustisamples ,Alicia Keys ,Imperfect samples (Fazioli, Steinway Concert Grand), Addictive keys...
P
P
Hi Tritok,

Im going line level input into a small mixer then into powered PA speakers with the mixer gain not cranked to much.Till recently I had a Yamy CP4 in the same setup and similar settings but I have no other boards to compare with.

I looked in the manual for an output db adjustment but couldn't find one.You could allways crank-up the EQ or the EQ off-set.

Maybe James will chip-in after he's had some meusli.

S
S
Originally Posted by Tritok
By the way , volume on the headphones output is pretty good , it's via the lines out (L/R) that I find it pretty low when comparing to my others boards

Mine is the MP11, but exactly the same situation. I installed my new MP11 right where my MP9500 has been for years -- same cables, same mixer input, same everything. On the MP11 the level from the line outputs is considerably lower than it was from the MP9500 (using the unbalanced quarter-inch outputs in both cases). I have had to make significant adjustments on the mixer to attain the levels I had before from the MP9500. And just like your experience, the output from the headphone jack seems to be plenty hot. It's the line outs where the level is surprisingly low.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Lennert,

Originally Posted by Lennert
Here's a video of why I can't use my MP7 for a gig yet. Video is hidden on YouTube, I don't want to discourage people to buy this beautiful piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uexdC4r8R-4

The sound changes when switching to another instrument. This doesn't happen on my MP5. It would just let the first sound/setup sustain until the damper is released.

In the video, I use the stock setups 1-2-A (Bright Piano) and 5-2-C (String Paddy). I think the reverb/effect settings don't match, since it's piano versus strings. It would be great though, to have the parameters from the first sound still present for the notes you hit before switching sounds.

One of my colleagues has prepared a beta OS for the MP7 that we would like you to test. If you are still experiencing this behaviour and would like to try the beta software, please send me a PM.

On second thoughts, I'll send you a PM.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
puff #2273032 05/08/14 10:47 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by puff
Maybe James will chip-in after he's had some meusli.

Porridge. wink

Hmmm...I don't have any experience connecting the MP7/MP11 using the Line Out jacks, as I've only ever played these instruments using headphones. Therefore I'm afraid I cannot comment if/why the output level is lower, however if I hear anything from the development team I will let you know.

Cheers,
James
x

T
T
Originally Posted by Savante
Originally Posted by Tritok

Mine is the MP11, but exactly the same situation. I installed my new MP11 right where my MP9500 has been for years -- same cables, same mixer input, same everything. On the MP11 the level from the line outputs is considerably lower than it was from the MP9500 (using the unbalanced quarter-inch outputs in both cases). I have had to make significant adjustments on the mixer to attain the levels I had before from the MP9500. And just like your experience, the output from the headphone jack seems to be plenty hot. It's the line outs where the level is surprisingly low.

Feels good not being alone !
Any others have experienced this ?

Thank you James for asking the question to the development team !

Fantom X8 , Motif es6 , CME UF80 v2 , Kawai MP7

Ivory II american D ,Vi labs Ravenscroft 275, KAWAI Ex pro Acoustisamples ,Alicia Keys ,Imperfect samples (Fazioli, Steinway Concert Grand), Addictive keys...
P
P
I'm not experiencing any of the issues reported by other MP7 owners on the forum - but it's probably because I'm not placing the demands on the unit that others are.

I do have what may be a stupid question though. My LCD screen isn't smooth. It looks like there's a plastic thingy stuck on it (possibly for transport). Can anyone confirm that there is a protector on the screen before I try to pick off something that isn't there?

Patrick

Kawai MP7, Roland JUNO DS-88

[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I have a protective foil on the LCD.
I will leave it there for a few days more, because on the quite new demonstration unit in the showroom, there where already a lot of fine scratches to be seen.

R
R
I've had my MP7 for a week now and initially I was back and forth between the AP's on it and my recently sold Yamaha CP5 (Sorry Dave Ferris). I really tweaked my CP5 to having a beautiful rich full sound despite some of the technical deficiencies like not having string resonance and stretching. At first I wasn't really impressed with the MP7's AP's and found them way too bright. However after some tweaks with the 4 band EQ and setting the touch curve of the AP's to heavy, I've warmed up enough to the MP7 as to sell my CP5! I do miss the CP's organic EP's but the MP7 is right up there too. I use my own tweaks for the classic ep1 (more of MK1 suitcase) and the classic ep2 ( more of a Dyno-my-piano later 70's Rhodes) and set the touch curve to light and boy are they authentic! Then put the "classic" chorus on that classic ep2 and you have early 80's Al Jarreau all the way. I did like the semi wodden action of the CP5 but I think the RH2 in the MP7 is more authentic in terms of piano playing.

The new organ simulation is certainly improved from the MP6 (which I owned 2 years ago) and with some tweaks is just fine for stage work when you can't bring a dedicated clone wheel. I must say for $1799 the MP7 is a better value than both the CP4 and RD800. You get great sounds, feel and plenty of tweaking to make the instrument your own. Plus it looks fantastic and is built like a tank. I think Kawai has a winner here!

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
B
B
Hi Friends,

Being a guitar player, thanks to the posts and your valuable contributions to the forum, I have finally decided to have an MP7 as my first piano. I have ordered it and will be delivered tomorrow.

Thank you very much putting up together such valuable resource for musician community.

Also, having "Kawai James" replying kindly to all questions and the way he handles the community made the biggest impact on my choice owning a Kawai against other vendors.

Best Regards from Istanbul, Turkey!

Gibson Les Paul R9, ES-345 and L-5
JCM800, '59 Bassman
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Does anyone owning the MP7 have an electronic humming sound emitted from the case itself?

On mine the power adapter/transformer inside the keyboard seems to emit a constant humming sound,
which is loud enough to go through covering earphones, when not playing. You clearly notice,
if the device is switched on in the living room.
(That is not a noise from the monitor speaker, nor a ground-loop.)

My RD-500 (16 years of age) does not generate this kind of noise.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Yes, mine hums a little, but not obtrusively (although my hearing is not great anymore). I don't regard it as a fault, though, as it's designed for stage use where there are all sorts of hums and hisses, and it avoids the dreaded wall-wart syndrome.

I actually think that, overall, the MP7 is a great keyboard. The sounds are not over-hyped in their raw form, and yet there's a lot of control available. If I hadn't been distracted by some strange electronic issues that my board suffers, I'd probably be further along in my evaluation of it - which I think would be overwhelmingly complimentary. Sometimes I wish that manufacturers would take just a little longer to bench-test their new products, and make sure that manufacturing QA is up to scratch before releasing them to the public (that way you also avoid the letdown that comes from early-adopter reports of problems).

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
C
C
Hello again, Im a little bit off topic but I thought I would do quick follow up on my CP4 on this thread as it relates to the Kawai MP7. I really enjoyed the CP4 for awhile, but I just sold it a few days ago. The original solid feel started to feel a bit loose and kind of cheapish which really made me miss my CP33- which I still think one of the best dps ever made. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a well made stage piano as I thought. I know I bought it secondhand but still did not expect it to feel like a P105 pr PX150 after a few months. Maybe it was just a dud. Also, I started to use Pianoteq and there is no going back to the CP4 piano sounds. The CP4 sounds like bad recording of a piano compared to Pianoteq. I know it's really not a fair comparison. Regardless -gone and got my money back. The guy who bought it loved it as I did. <OT> have you seen all the bad CP4 reviews? I got to say, I kind of agree with a few of those reviews. <ouch>

SO I went out and played the RD800 <before they pulled it> and was thoroughly impressed with how wonderful the new acoustic pianos sounded. It's concert grand is spectacular. Action now perfected over PHA3 - great feel w no thump. I liked the looks a little more in person but who cares?! It is nicely put together and seems solid. As nice as the RD800 sounded and HUGE improvement over the RD700NX in sound, action, features it was still out of my reach for price and way too many features i would never use.

I think you can guess how this update ends when I tell you that I played a friends new Kawai MP7 last weekend. I thought the Cp4 sounded good, but the Kawai MP7 is a far and away better sounding acoustic piano than the CP4. The action on the MP7 even feels more authentic than the "semi-wood" CP4 keys - I guess it was a gimmick after all. Might not be quite as good as the RD800 but for $700+ less my ears are plenty happy. I can understand why professionals would buy an RD800 for sound features, etc. - top notch in every way for a stage piano. Being a CP4 owner, I can NOT see why anyone would EVER buy a CP4 over the MP7. CP4 needs to drop its retail price immediately to what it is truly worth @ approximately $1,700. In my opinion the MP7 acoustic piano sound, action, elegant looks, features,and price beat the CP4 in every way possible and damn close to compete with RD800. With all that rambling, yes, I just ordered one for $1,575!! I cant wait and will follow up soon.

Last edited by Coondog; 05/09/14 03:59 PM. Reason: NOT ES7. Its the MP7 i played . NO speakers ;)

Kawai MP7
Yamaha CP4 (sold and happy it's gone)
Yamaha CP33 (sold and wish I never did)
Young Chang Y118 (sold)
--------------------
Gibson Acoustic J35
Guild Starfire IV
Online Content
Coondog, so to clarify, are you getting the ES7 or the MP7? They're both excellent DPs, but are geared towards different uses.

Either way, thanks for posting your thoughts about the latest stage pianos.

Cheers,
James
x

C
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Coondog, so to clarify, are you getting the ES7 or the MP7? They're both excellent DPs, but are geared towards different uses.

Cheers,
James
x

Thank You Kawai James. Just fixed it. Yes MP7!! Great stuff!

Kawai MP7
Yamaha CP4 (sold and happy it's gone)
Yamaha CP33 (sold and wish I never did)
Young Chang Y118 (sold)
--------------------
Gibson Acoustic J35
Guild Starfire IV
R
R
Originally Posted by Coondog
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Cheers,
James
x

Your review earlier about the CP4 compared to the MP7 was on the money. I totally feel like Yamaha needs to go back to the drawing board to justify the $2200-2300 price tag. I too felt the action "lossening" to a P-105 kind of feel after my 3 weeks with it. I do feel that the RD800 is a serious stage piano with minimal compromises and I've been up in the air about adding it to my collection. However, I don't like the figure 8 power inlet, the no support for a detachable music rest and the extra 3 to 4 inches that doesn't need to be there. I think the sound and feel are top notch, but the MP7 coming in at $700 less minus the cons that I just mentioned about the RD800, makes the MP7 a no brainer. Plus they added 88 key tuning and volume customization. Personally I also think that the MP7 looks more classic and like an instrument that will last past the next cycle of "new and improved" models. I'm now just waiting for the Kawai F-30 triple pedal unit to be available in the US.
Hey James do you know when the F-30 will be available here in the US?

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
Online Content
Originally Posted by Coondog

Ah, great - thanks for clarifying!

Cheers,
James
x

Online Content
Originally Posted by Rhodie73
You get great sounds, feel and plenty of tweaking to make the instrument your own. Plus it looks fantastic and is built like a tank. I think Kawai has a winner here!

Wow, sounds like a ringing endorsement - great to hear you appreciate the improvements with the new boards.

Originally Posted by Rhodie73
Hey James do you know when the F-30 will be available here in the US?

I'm afraid not, sorry. It's probably best to ask your Kawai dealer or contact Kawai America directly.

Kind regards,
James
x

Online Content
Originally Posted by PatrickBl
Can anyone confirm that there is a protector on the screen before I try to pick off something that isn't there?

Yes, there should be a film of plastic protecting the screen.

This point is mentioned in other Kawai DP owner's manual, but was overlooked in the MP11/MP7 documentation - I will have to add it the next version.

Thank you for bringing this point to my attention.

Cheers,
James
x

Online Content
Originally Posted by Bourgeois
Also, having "Kawai James" replying kindly to all questions and the way he handles the community made the biggest impact on my choice owning a Kawai against other vendors.

Thank you very much for your kind words Bourgeois. I look forward to reading your thoughts about the MP7 when it arrives.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 24 of 80 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission