2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
22 members (Jay, FrankCox, gesine, ando, Beansparrow, Emery Wang, dima5222, CoogerTown, 3 invisible), 467 guests, and 596 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sweet06 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I want to learn "To Zanarkand". I just finished "Moon dance" which was fun and challenging and want to move on to this piece. Too hard? My teacher says it's "definitely doable" which was comforting but I don't know if he'd say anything else? I know there's some bomb ass piano players on this forum, wanted to get opinions.

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Everything's too hard until you make it easy. Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard wink

S
Sweet06 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I know what you mean bob. What I'm talking about is I would never try a chopin nocturne right now... it would be a waste of my time. I could progress faster and much less frustrating by doing pieces closer to my level. I don't mind a challenge but I don't want it to be so hard it's wasting my time I could be spending on other things to help my progression. I want to progress as quick as possible and get on to playing the good stuff wink

"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Moon Dance, as in this?

If you can do anything even close to that, I don't know why you're wondering whether you can do "To Zanarkand"! If I had a choice between those two, I'd definitely choose the latter, because I'm not sure I could do Moon Dance at this point.

ETA: I say this as someone who recently finished learning a Chopin Nocturne wink.

Last edited by Saranoya; 05/07/14 02:42 AM.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
Everything's too hard until you make it easy. Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard wink

Bob - I love that - I have a new siggy quote!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
At around the one year experience mark you have quite a few of the tools to make your own decision. But your right to be cautious, look at the hardest measures in the score and try them out over a few days. Everything seems hard at first glance but if you can get any sort of a toe hold into a piece it's a start.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Sweet06
I could progress faster and much less frustrating by doing pieces closer to my level.

This is neither true nor false. Because how efficiently we operate depends on how motivated we are by something, this could go either way. Stop worrying, pick out things you would like to work to and present them to your teacher to help you with - this is what they're there for.

Originally Posted by Sweet06
I don't mind a challenge but I don't want it to be so hard it's wasting my time I could be spending on other things to help my progression. I want to progress as quick as possible and get on to playing the good stuff wink

The only way to progress as quick as possible is to follow a plan which is as regimented as it is motivating. The fact of the matter is that you don't know whether this involves pursuing a Chopin nocturne right now or not because of your inexperience, but what you can determine is how much you like/love the piece in question (going back to the motivation). This is, again, presumably why you hired a qualified professional to help guide you, so put your trust in said professional.

Originally Posted by Ayn Rand
People create their own questions, because they're afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk.

A
A
I think you should go for it, especially as you feel motivated to do it - no-one else is putting pressure on you. In my experience - in general, not just piano, going 'beyond my current limits' can have unexpected results - it can either be surprisingly achievable and motivating, or it can show me that whilst I'm not ready - yet! - the desire to reach that stage in itself provides the momentum to do what needs to be done to reach that goal. Best wishes.

L
L
Congrats on making it to 1 year! May there be many more years of music education in your future!
If you find the songs too difficult, you could always look for an easier version of the song. Sometimes one persons transcription of a song could be a lot easier to read than anothers.

My Youtube Lessons Channel: www.youtube.com/user/lessonsontheweb
My Academy Website: www.lessonsontheweb.com
S
Sweet06 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This is definitely my new project piece. bob is right as usual. I just need to trust my teacher and do it. so i will!

L
L
Zanarkand should easily be doable for you. There's a couple of different versions out there. Try the one that's the FF X main theme(The one that plays in the opening sequence when they are around the campfire.) The version from the piano collections is harder.

Edit: Zanarkand was the piece that got me back into piano. I played as a kid but stopped for almost 20 years.

Last edited by lang15; 05/09/14 02:04 PM.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KORG SP170S PANEL REMOVAL?
by Prof. Piano - 05/11/21 11:59 PM
KORG SP170S PANEL REMOVAL?
by Prof. Piano - 05/11/21 11:50 PM
WTC C-maj fugue (bk 1) analysis question
by hawgdriver - 05/11/21 10:55 PM
DP model numbers and years sold?
by ObtuseMoose - 05/11/21 10:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,876
Posts3,092,482
Members101,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission