2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (Damien PG, chrisb42, c++, Baltguy, David B, bsalad, accordeur, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 520 guests, and 557 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
We just came from an outstanding performance of Rusalka, starring Renee Fleming, streamed live to our local movie theater, (theatre to you Bruce). Of course it would have been better to see it in person, but this alternative is much less expensive, has great camera work, excellent sound and is just 2 miles from my home. I thoroughly enjoyed it and to my delight, my husband was very enthusiastic about his first opera! He has already asked me to buy tickets to the next one.

If you love opera or are new to it and want to give it a try without breaking the bank, here's the link. It's open seating, $24 US per ticket.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/liveinhd/LiveinHD.aspx

Best regards,

Deborah
A
A
Originally Posted by gooddog
We just came from an outstanding performance of Rusalka, starring Renee Fleming, streamed live to our local movie theater, (theatre to you Bruce). Of course it would have been better to see it in person, but this alternative is much less expensive, has great camera work, excellent sound and is just 2 miles from my home. I thoroughly enjoyed it and to my delight, my husband was very enthusiastic about his first opera! He has already asked me to buy tickets to the next one.

If you love opera or are new to it and want to give it a try without breaking the bank, here's the link. It's open seating, $24 US per ticket.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/liveinhd/LiveinHD.aspx

Hi, Deborah,

I've been attending the Met in HD in my area and have really enjoyed the performances. I wasn't able to attend Rusalka today, but I did see Eugene Onegin and The Nose. Eugene Onegin was really nice.

Being on the east side of the Cascades during the winter makes things iffy sometimes for traveling to events in Seattle, so I do appreciate being able to enjoy the Met HD performances close to home.

A R

Sauter 122 Masterclass (M-Line)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have seen a couple productions at my local movie theater. I really should much more often, as my interest in opera has greatly increased. (I sang in the chorus for Don Giovanni last month!)

Music students at my school get 50% discounts, so I really need to take advantage of it, too.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gooddog
We just came from an outstanding performance of Rusalka, starring Renee Fleming, streamed live to our local movie theater...

Wow, I didn't know about that. I was in the car this morning listening to Rusalka -what a gorgeous opera!- and I do wonder why that's the only opera we get. Critical writing claims that the other Dvorak operas suffer from bad libretti (Schubert on steroids), but I often wonder what glorious music we might be missing.

Dvorak is such an odd bloke. Unlike Brahms -who loved and promoted Dvorak- Dvorak didn't have much of a talent for writing idiomatically for the piano, yet (scary thought coming up!) IMO his chamber music and symphonies have a spontaneous feel to them which, Father forgive me, I do not always sense in Brahms.

One of the most precious pieces in my life -of any composer- is his E minor Piano Trio. I am so grateful to know it, and many thanks to my uni friends when we rehearsed and performed.

Jason
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Dvorak is such an odd bloke. Unlike Brahms -who loved and promoted Dvorak- Dvorak didn't have much of a talent for writing idiomatically for the piano, yet (scary thought coming up!) IMO his chamber music and symphonies have a spontaneous feel to them which, Father forgive me, I do not always sense in Brahms.

And as for Beethoven and Mozart, they've got nothing on Dvorak. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
One of the most precious pieces in my life -of any composer- is his E minor Piano Trio. I am so grateful to know it, and many thanks to my uni friends when we rehearsed and performed.
I think Dvorak's music is rich and fresh and I love what he wrote but I also adore Brahms.

Jason, I didn't know about the other operas. How lucky for you that you got to play the E minor piano trio! I've got a special liking for the F minor piano trio. Dvorak's 7th symphony is one of my most played CD's.

Best regards,

Deborah
C
C
I highly recommend the Met's HD transmissions to anyone who might be remotely interested in opera. I have overheard other members of the HD audience say to their companions that they didn't think they would like it when they attended the first time and were pleasantly surprised to discover that they did. Now they attend on a regular basis.

I am fortunate to live near enough to New York City that I can attend the Met on a regular basis but I still like the HD productions because they offer a completely different perspective from my usual seat in the balcony. They are very professionally done from a cinematic viewpoint -- with expert camera work and editing. One also gets a chance to see what's going on behind the curtain as the stage crew changes the scenery between acts.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,296
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission