2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Is it a new/recent thing for Pianist Corner to hold recitals? was it only Adult Beginners Forum before that? I'm a recent arrival and perhaps naively I assumed that both groups held recitals regularly...

Somewhat new for Pianist Corner, like for the past year or so. ABF have had them forever. We also started the themed recitals.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Why all the ABF vs Pianist Corner arguments? Can't both forums exist without them constantly competing with each other and being compared?

Regards,

Polyphonist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Why all the ABF vs Pianist Corner arguments? Can't both forums exist without them constantly competing with each other and being compared?

There's no 'competition' per se, but people want what they don't have. As beginners, we 'want', or aspire to play as good as the Pianist corner people, and they 'want' to have a friendly and supportive environment that we have here which include our quarterly recitals.

As an ABF member, I can only be proud of what this group (as a whole) has accomplished. I look at the Pianist Corner members wanting their own recital (like ours), just like we want to play really well....like them.

It's not really a competition but rather an appreciation for what the other group is doing. Besides, it goes without saying that only the sexy people hang out in the ABF!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Morodiene
earlofmar and Rerun:

Thank you so much for that. I wasn't fishing for compliments by any means, and the people here on ABF have always been so encouraging. That's why I like it so much, and love to contribute in any way I can. wink

I knew you weren't fishing but I'm glad I followed this thread and then recalled you were the one ... searched for the recording to make sure and welled up again this am ... thanks.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
As beginners, we 'want', or aspire to play as good as the Pianist corner people, and they 'want' to have a friendly and supportive environment that we have here.

I don't know. Sometimes the competitive atmosphere of the PC is quite refreshing. laugh If we wanted a more supportive environment, we would have one, no?

Regards,

Polyphonist
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
As beginners, we 'want', or aspire to play as good as the Pianist corner people, and they 'want' to have a friendly and supportive environment that we have here.

I don't know. Sometimes the competitive atmosphere of the PC is quite refreshing. laugh If we wanted a more supportive environment, we would have one, no?

Dunno. Must be some reason you hang out around here so much.

[Linked Image]
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by -Frycek

Here we go again with the aggression; case in point.

Regards,

Polyphonist
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek

Here we go again with the aggression; case in point.

Moi? Aggressive? Must've forgotten the smiley.

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

You're right. You sleep in the bed you make.

The ABF supportive atmosphere is compatible though as this is where it begins for a lot of people. We are not really that accomplished yet as we are still accomplishing.

Once you become accomplished however, you like to show others what you've accomplished. Since we are still learning and improving, we are more focused on that.

It would only be natural for the Pianist Corner people to display their accomplishments at their level for one another which is basically what they do.

The real difference however is we still get nap time and they don't. To play at that level there is no more nap time. That's the compromise.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If we wanted a more supportive environment, we would have one, no?

We do. And we have.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
First of all, I have to admit that I'm the person having to take the blame for the present discussion. The reason is that I started a thread under the PC suggesting an e-cital where the focus should be on longer (classical) pieces. I'm also the person behind the quotation:

"Well, you may be right. Surely there have been some longer pieces represented there, like Chopin's first Ballade. But most pieces are short and relatively simple, and many are outside the classical repertoire. Probably the initial intention with the ABF quarterlies was to give relatively inexperienced players to present their stuff. And lately some of us old foxes have entered the scene and spoiled everything.

The piece I have been considering to study is maybe not as technically difficult as the Chopin Ballade, but it is more or less in the same league and a pretty long piece. I would think twice before submitting it for the ABF recital. I'm just afraid that many of the other participants would find it annoying."

Let me just clarify a few things. First of all, I find participation in e-citals very useful. The reason for this is that deadlines for presenting decent recordings has helped me practice more systematically and in relatively short time I think it has made me a better pianist. My first submissions were for the ABF quarterly, but later I have also participated in Mendelssohn, Grieg and Chopin Mazurka themed recitals.

As a result of this I have a nice collection of pieces in my repertoire which I master at a level higher than I did with anything before. These pieces, however, are mostly relatively short, and I have a desire to study a couple of more extensive pieces and hopefully bring them to a similar level as the shorter pieces.

I thought that perhaps the ABF quarterly recital was not the right context for presenting such pieces, and therefore I started the thread proposing the "longer piece e-cital". I'm presently not 100% sure if it is a good idea to pursue this. It is difficult to find a way to give a focus the recital, and there is also a risk that it may become very long. So maybe it never becomes reality.

Anyhow there is one notable difference between the ABF recital and the themed recitals. In the themed recital you sign up for a specific piece and commit yourself to present a recording on a given date. In the ABF recital you present whatever you have ready at the time of submission. Therefore the themed recitals give a somewhat stronger push than the ABF quarterly.

I believe that all the different e-citals can run side by side. Unless I have made myself very unpopular now I'm going to participate in the next ABF quarterly, but not with a very long piece this time.

Last edited by Ganddalf; 01/13/14 04:00 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

It's the class struggle in microcosm.

Originally Posted by Ganddalf
First of all, I have to admit that I'm the person having to take the blame for the present discussion. The reason is that I started a thread under the PC suggesting an e-cital where the focus should be on longer (classical) pieces.

But that's in the Pianist corner which has a different focus, so I don't see what the problem is.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
For the record, I didn't mind at all having Chopin's Ballade in the last ABF quarterly recital, and I wouldn't mind listening to an entire piano sonata or something like that; the online player allows to skip and pause if one doesn't want to listen to it all in a row. If one feels that they belong to ABF rather than PC, even if they are very advanced and accomplished players, why not? On the other hand, if you feel that PC is a more appropriate place for such pieces, why not post a link on ABF, so that people who do not follow PC can listen too (and possibly participate, if they want to)?

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf - as far as I'm concerned (and I believe I can safely speak for many!)..you're more than welcome at the ABF recitals!

I love hearing the performances of those with a lot more experience. I don't know what level I will ever get to - but hearing what others have been able to accomplish over the years of their piano journeys is always a joy.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
What cassinitaly said. thumb

Gandalf, one of the beauties of ABF is the EVERYONE is welcome to participate. That includes old foxes with bigger pieces. Please stay.

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ganddalf

I believe that all the different e-citals can run side by side. Unless I have made myself very unpopular now I'm going to participate in the next ABF quarterly, but not with a very long piece this time.

Gandalf, don't let angst about the different recitals stop you from participating in the quarterly recitals, or organizing a recital for longer pieces in the Pianist Corner. I love to hear you play and appreciate your insightful comments on the recital submissions.

As keeper of the ABF Recital index, I can share some statistics.

We started keeping duration numbers with recital 11.

There are 1286 performances that I have duration numbers for.

The shortest performance: 29 seconds

The longest performance: 15 minutes and 50 seconds

The average performance: 3 minutes and 29 seconds

Top ten longest pieces:
09:15 : Grieg - Wedding Day
09:41 : Chopin Ballade #1
09:54 : Peyton - original
10:11 : Satie - Gnossienne 3,4,5
10:30 : Mozart - K545
10:31 : Schumann Arabesque
11:04 : Mozart - Fantasie
12:12 : Haydn - Sonata 11
13:31 : Mozart - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman
15:50 : Mozart - K457

Those are your statistics for today!

PS. That agonizing slow Arabesque was my contribution...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Maybe, but not necessarily.

Once a norm has been established, changing that norm is not such a simple task. A group doesn't easily wake up one day and want something different. For a small group, perhaps 2-3 new members can shake up the norms. For a larger group, it's the individuals who tend to get shaped, or they leave.

Google "path dependence."

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Sam S

Top ten longest pieces:
09:15 : Grieg - Wedding Day
09:41 : Chopin Ballade #1
09:54 : Peyton - original
10:11 : Satie - Gnossienne 3,4,5
10:30 : Mozart - K545
10:31 : Schumann Arabesque
11:04 : Mozart - Fantasie
12:12 : Haydn - Sonata 11
13:31 : Mozart - Ah Vous Dirai-je Maman
15:50 : Mozart - K457

Those are your statistics for today!

PS. That agonizing slow Arabesque was my contribution...

Sam

Interesting statistics! So, maybe playing the long piece(s) in the ABF quarterly is the best option after all.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
--removed--

Somehow, the post of Sam S was appearing as first post and I didn't quite get the point :-/

Last edited by wouter79; 01/13/14 09:15 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission