2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Right.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
It looks suspiciously like BS to me. For one thing, perfect pitch cannot be taught (although relative pitch can).

(Just noticed that was my 4444th post!)

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

It looks suspiciously like BS to me.

It's not. Check the research.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Read the rest of my post.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Read the research. Again, you don't even know what you're talking about.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Maybe I don't, but I know enough to know that they are confusing perfect pitch with relative pitch.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

they are confusing perfect pitch with relative pitch.

What makes you think this? This tells me that you don't quite understand how perfect pitch is actually developed, and how the mechanisms behind the "pill" have shown results. If you read the research, you'd learn something and probably realize you don't understand perfect pitch correctly.

R. W. Emerson
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Atrys
This tells me that you don't quite understand how perfect pitch is actually developed

It's not developed.

the mechanisms behind the "pill" have shown results.

The pill may well be able to produce relative pitch. But true perfect pitch cannot be taught.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

true perfect pitch cannot be taught.

Incorrect, and entirely false. A little bit of research (including the journal article at hand) will teach you that it can be taught, under certain parameters.

The more you know...

Last edited by Atrys; 01/06/14 12:17 AM.

R. W. Emerson
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
There's plenty I don't know about perfect pitch, and in no way do I claim to be an expert on the subject. But I am pretty confident that I am correct about what I have stated in this thread. I'm willing to be convinced I'm wrong.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I'm telling you that you're wrong. You can literally Google this subject right now and find that you're wrong. It only takes a little bit of time to learn so much :P

R. W. Emerson
I suffer from Bipolar disorder and I have been on this medication and many others before. I don't know in what sense they are using it in this study, but most psychotropic medications are pretty bad deals in terms of treatment vs damage from side effects. This one is no exception. For what it is worth, I recommend avoiding these medications at all costs unless you desperately need them for serious and real psychiatric symptoms. Even then, please don't end up with a long term dependence if you can at all help it - you will pay very dearly.

Perfect pitch may be very challenging to teach later in life, however the notion that it's entirely genetic has been practically debunked. It's more likely the case that past the so-called critical period of life (0-12 years) when the brain is very plastic and prepared to learn languages, and without early exposure to the tones of the Western tuning system and their corresponding letter names, learning it later in life becomes extremely hard. It would be as difficult as improving your functional memory or learning a tone language. Not impossible, but very challenging. Surely, some people with exceptional memories or language skills from birth would have an easier time learning perfect pitch than others at any age, but theoretically all humans are equipped with the hardware to learn it and so it shouldn't be off limits to the vast majority of children if they were taught with effective methods. Learning to recognize intonation and assign it meaning is a basic function of language.

Therefore a dodgy chemical may not be necessary here. Even as an adult, depending on your level of musical exposure in your life and how dedicated you are, it's possible to develop a set of skills functionally indistinguishable from perfect pitch that are focused around a good pitch memory. This is what I have done, and I know that I'm one of many who have succeeded at this. I wouldn't guarantee it can work for everyone, because your starting pitch memory needs to be pretty solid already and improving memory itself is very challenging. However, if you are decent at remembering tunes on key some or most of the time, or decently close (to within 1 to 2 semitones), then with practice you can identify tones by ear. At that point the limit then is really dependent on your dedication. With practice, theory knowledge, and relative pitch skills, you can go much further such as identifying entire harmonies and transcribing music.

Last edited by Roland The Beagle; 01/06/14 12:40 AM.

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
There's plenty I don't know about perfect pitch, and in no way do I claim to be an expert on the subject. But I am pretty confident that I am correct about what I have stated in this thread. I'm willing to be convinced I'm wrong.

Would it kill you to do some research on the matter, instead of being instantly dismissive?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando

Would it kill you to do some research on the matter, instead of being instantly dismissive?
Not literally, but it probably would kill his post count from 4456 to some 100 in total! :P

Now, on the subject at hand, I don't have perfect pitch nor I'd like to acquire it. That's all from my part! wink

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

It looks suspiciously like BS to me.

It's not. Check the research.

I'm with Poly.

BTW, FWIW this article misspells the name of the drug. grin

I'd bet my string of poloponies that this is BS (if I had poloponies). ha
In fact, having worked with this drug for about 30 years, I'd bet my bippy and a string of poloponies. There is absolutely no way that this drug can do a danged thing to help anyone have "perfect pitch."

I would agree that it's POSSIBLE (although still unlikely -- I'd still take the bet, although not for my bippy) ha ....possible that this could help someone learn to be better at recognizing intervals, i.e. be better at relative pitch. But merely better; not necessarily real good. Relative pitch and absolute pitch depend on things that have nothing whatsoever to do with anything that this drug can possibly do.

Originally Posted by from the article
he gave people a pill and then taught them to have perfect pitch.

Sorry, whether he's at Harvard or at Close Cover Before Striking Academy for Temp Work, I'm calling BS on that -- at least if he's thinking of "perfect pitch" correctly.

BTW, before anyone starts taking the work more seriously than it deserves....have you looked at what the guy is?

"Professor of molecular and cellular biology"

How qualified does that make someone to do a study on a drug?
How qualified does it make him to measure learning?
How qualified does it make him to know what's what about something like "perfect pitch"?
Or to be able to judge the results of anything like this?

Answer: About zero.

When you have someone with no qualification to do something, and he comes up with a finding that seems pretty hard to believe.....well, I think it's not hard to finish this sentence. grin

Originally Posted by Roland The Beagle
....most psychotropic medications are pretty bad deals in terms of treatment vs damage from side effects. This one is no exception. For what it is worth, I recommend avoiding these medications at all costs unless you desperately need them for serious and real psychiatric symptoms.

+1

And I'll take it further: This claim for valproic acid isn't merely highly unlikely; it's perverse. Remember, the study doesn't claim that the stuff gives people perfect pitch. It only claims that it helps people be better able to learn perfect pitch, or more likely (I would guess) something sort of like perfect pitch.

But that's where we get into something that we already know about that drug: how it affects learning.

It doesn't help, but it can hurt. An exception is if the person has some real disorder that keeps him from being able to function at his normal level, and in that case, it doesn't make him "super"; it just brings him back toward his normal level, hopefully all the way up to it. But besides that kind of effect, if anything the drug impairs learning. One of its main side effects is to impair "cognitive functioning." It doesn't necessarily do that, but often it does. In any event it sure as heck doesn't help learning, nor anything else about cognition.

That's one of the things we know about valproic acid. I would suggest that it wouldn't be a bad idea for what we already know about it to be sort of starting point in understanding supposed research like this. smile

As well as (need I add) what we know about perfect pitch. Putting it all together, the claim is close to bizarre. At best, it is based on a misunderstanding of what perfect pitch means. At worst, it's just completely false. Assuming this isn't simple fraudulence, I suspect misunderstanding plus something like placebo effect -- and probably, small samples.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Someone with perfect pitch can tell you the note of a penny hitting the floor. They don't even have to try. It just comes to them as if their seeing the note name flash before their eyes. Relative pitch is memorizing certain notes or keys and being able to move around, counting half steps or whole steps, and determining the pitch based on that. The second one can be practiced or even taught. The first one can't. At least, you can't convince me it can. You might as well tell me there's a pill that can make me a chess savant. I think the author of the article just had an honest mistake of terms.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks, Roland and Mark. I thought the reporting here was borderline irresponsible. The idea of taking such a drug for such a frivolous purpose would be absurd if it weren't dangerous.

(BTW of course I mean the article reporting, not Frycek!)

Last edited by jdw; 01/06/14 10:11 AM.

1989 Baldwin R
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I appreciate those here who provided informative comments including from experience (thanks Roland) instead of just being insulting.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission