2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Yeah, I was thinking of getting another one, but I think having one D is already too excessive.
Another D is a lot more money, then you have the logistics of 2 large pianos.

Maybe one day I will stumble across some C&A NY D and make an offer...
I'd have to fall in love with it so that all common sense goes right out the window hahaha smile

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
NOAM,
A new action can be done.

A new raw keyframe and keys is not trimmed to fit the action cavity and does not have the top action frame mounting blocks fitted. Nor are the capstans and back-checks installed. To fit a new action will mean fitting a new keyframe to the key-bed and the the cheek blocks. This is not a job for your typical technician. Quite a bit of dust goes along with the work.

I don't think any knowledgeable or skilled tone-regulator would have a problem fitting NY hammers to a Hamburg origins Steinway. The pianos are so similar overall. We seem to love to exacerbate any differences with abandon, such is the emotion surrounding Steinway.

You might want to consider making a second action that is state of the art. I mean use the carbon fiber W,N&G shanks. They give a level of precision, control, evenness, (especially for soft playing), and stability that wood cannot provide.

Besides the cost, the downside is you will now have "two" pianos to break in.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Ed, thank you and I will take this into consideration. The idea of state of the art action full of carbon fiber hammer shanks is something I haven't thought of!!!

The Hamburg side of my piano is breaking in very well. It's opening up faster than I ever imagined. I don't want to describe it here out of fear of being belittled, but let me just say - I can hear the sound board opening up!

This would give me the opportunity to properly break in NY hammers without feeling rushed to "see" what my new piano would sound like. I already know it sounds good. Good doesn't do it justice, I don't know what steinway did but this thing is a miracle!!! I really feel I found a Gem. They are all fantastic, but this one is special...

At least let me believe that no? smile hahaha

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by noambenhamou
If anyone needs a good explanation of "why" I want to do this?
1) I can
2) I'm curious
3) fun
4) no harm will be done to the piano
5) why not?
I don't find any of those reasons particularly compelling. In fact, numbers 1, 3, 4, and 5 have no credence IMO.

Instead of "why not?" a better question to ask yourself is "why"? If you are not pleased how certain composers sound on your piano, intensive piano lessons with a terrific teacher and intensive practice would have much more benefit than changing the hammers.

B
BDB Offline
B
I do not care why he is interested in doing this. What I do not understand is why he needs other people's permission to do it, and why a bunch of strangers, rather than his own family.

Semipro Tech
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Or he may just be a troll.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
Or he may just be a troll.

Why make such uncalled for comments?

P
P
We once prepared a D for a concert with a well known pianist, one of his own pianos actually. He used two complete actions, one with a heavy touch for rehearsal and the other with quite a light touch for the concert. All of it made in Hamburg.
So, it should be no problem for you to order a new pre-voiced action from Hamburg, but you will need a technician to do the final regulation and voicing which suits your demands.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Why not make an arrngement with a manufacturer to spend a day in their factory.
I'm pretty certain that Hurstwood farm pianos here in Kent UK would, for a small sum, even put you up for a couple of days. They will make a piano to suit your tastes.
I and my pianist friend spent almost a whole day there and they are the most helpfull folk out - not even a penny for all their time. They have a site on the "net".
Nearby is Finchcocks where there is a collection of old but playable pianos; talks are given during the summer months

H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by BDB
I do not care why he is interested in doing this. What I do not understand is why he needs other people's permission to do it, and why a bunch of strangers, rather than his own family.

I'm not asking for permission. Go back to my original post and read it again. I asked if it has been done before and what to expect and if there are any implications.

I didn't see you answer the question instead you decided yourself to be a troll - on my topic. You can leave smile

PS - why do some people have multiple guitars?
I figure this is a great and cost efficient way to make 2 piano personalities out of one.

And of course I am having a professional do it. I'm discussing it with my tech.
Just here for advice, not to be judged.

Last edited by noambenhamou; 01/04/14 04:00 PM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Interesting, I also considered buying a second action.

But I didn't persue further, as it is not so clear if I can really get the sound I want.

How can you be sure? Getting a second action is expensive and seems to me like buying a new piano unseen/unheard?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
BDB Offline
B
I just have two contrasting pianos. That is a much better solution.

Semipro Tech
J
J
Why not also make an action with Wurzen Felt Weiker (sp) hammers. Then you'd have something.

On average the difference between NY & Hamburg (among other things) is Action Ratio. Typically the NY is 6.5, while the Hamburg is 5.5. This is one of the things that make the H's so desirable.

Hamburg hammer flanges have the center pin 1 mm further away from the screw holes than the NY flanges. It's a geometry thing.

So you could make four action combinations with four different sets of hammers,
four top actions and two key sets. That would be two NY combos and two Hamburg combo. The Touch Weight could be the same with identical Strike Weights.

Experiment. ask your tech to install shank clips to change the weight to test the tonal and touch variation.

That should keep you busy.

Regards,

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.pianocapecod.com
G
G
noambenhamou,

I am no expert on NY Steinway hammers verses Renner or Abel hammers. You have every right to pursue your dream piano though, and the sound that most pleases you. If you have the financial resources to accomplish that end, you have every right to, and some people will always be jealous because they can only afford a cheap Korean or spinet piano.

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Gary Fowler
noambenhamou,

I am no expert on NY Steinway hammers verses Renner or Abel hammers. You have every right to pursue your dream piano though, and the sound that most pleases you. If you have the financial resources to accomplish that end, you have every right to, and some people will always be jealous because they can only afford a cheap Korean or spinet piano.

But those cheap Korean grands are pretty decent learning opportunities!

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission