2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (Blague, chaplincap, c++, Calavera, BlakeOR, chsk, accordeur, 8 invisible), 410 guests, and 511 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
carkar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have an issue with a brand new Kawai ES100 that I got for christmas. Basically what happens is that at random times while playing ALL the C#/Db, A, and F keys randomly stop working. The issue has been ongoing for several days now. Initially, powering the keyboard on and off would fix it, but just recently the issue persisted even after powering it down multiple times. I found that unplugging the foot pedal and re-plugging it remedied the issue. I also had plugged in a usb-midi interface to use with synthisia, and I've noticed that sometimes the keys are being detected as being sustained even when the pedal is not depressed. I'm thinking of returning it and getting a replacement, but I wanted to know if this is normal for digital pianos (this is my first digital piano)

I really don't want to go through the hassle as well! This is the second kawai es100 I have had in a month (from two different vendors because they have been out of stock). The first one came with the first black key broken; I was really hoping this one was defective-free.

EDIT: I forgot to update this post with the video of the defect. I have already returned the DP and it was a manufacturing defect that has apparently been present in some early models. Yamaha P-255 on the way smile

Here is the link to the video:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4g5VveI1WtsN3RuQUpyeTRVZVU/preview[/i]

Last edited by carkar; 01/30/14 01:46 PM. Reason: Added Video

"The more I play, the more I am thoroughly convinced that the pedal is the soul of the piano. There are cases where the pedal is everything"
-Anton Rubinstein
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I think you may want to eliminate first that it is a pedal issue. Try turning it off, unplugging the pedal, and then turn it on again with no pedal and play that for a while. If the problem crops up again, then you know it's the piano.

If it doesn't come up, then try turning off the piano, plug in the pedal, and then turn it on while it's plugged in and try it out. I know sometimes pedals get wonky if you plug them in after turning on the piano.

edited to add: make sure you are using a pedal recommended by Kawai for that instrument, too.

Last edited by Morodiene; 12/31/13 08:44 PM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
carkar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, the pedal I am using is the included damper pedal that comes with the instrument (F-10H Sustain Pedal).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by carkar; 12/31/13 08:57 PM.

"The more I play, the more I am thoroughly convinced that the pedal is the soul of the piano. There are cases where the pedal is everything"
-Anton Rubinstein
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
If the keys are malfunctioning as you say, take it back ASAP. I had a faulty Kawai years ago. I thought their unreliability problems were behind them . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
carkar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Crap...I was afraid of that. Like I said, this is the second Kawai ES100 I have had, the first of which came with a broken balck key (stuck down, and would continue to stick). I love the action on the ES100, but I don't want risk more defects! I remember someone on this forum once said that digital pianos that are as light-weight as the Kawai ES100 (i.e. approx. 33lbs) will likely run into construction issues.

With that said, maybe I made the wrong choice in purchasing this. Are there other recommended portable keyboards with a similar key action and sound? The p-155 is a bit too heavy for my fingers, and I find the p-105 a bit springy and toy-like.

-Anton Rubinstein
M
M
Well, first try out my suggestion with the pedal (if you haven't already). If the problem does not occur when the pedal is plugged in then it's faulty pedal. Much easier to replace. If not, return this and try another brand. Have you tried any Casios? In that price range you could get the PX-350. I don't know how the feel compares between the two.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
carkar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
The problem occurred again. This time I unplugged the pedal and the keys were still dead. I then plugged it back in and the keys remained dead. After about 30 seconds, whist in the middle of repeatedly pressing random A and F keys across the slab, it started working again. At this point, the problem can be either the pedal, the actual pedal connector on the keyboard, or completely unrelated to the pedal.

Last edited by carkar; 12/31/13 10:35 PM.

-Anton Rubinstein
M
M
Sounds like it's the DP itself if you still had issues without the pedal plugged in. Stinks, but maybe third time's a charm if you really like it, otherwise, may want to test out Roland or Casio pianos. smirk

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
carkar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, bud. How do the Casio brand digital pianos fair against the those that are typically known to of "higher quality"(e.g., kawai, yamaha, roland, etc)? Most of the Casios I've tried always sound very...electronic-y? It was also the first toy keyboard I got when I was around 10 smile

-Anton Rubinstein
The issue with your first es100 you return is easy to fix. Keys that don't return is common issue cause by shipping in many models and brands. But easy to put back in its place without open the unit, at least in the case of ES100. In that case you should call support and they will tell you what to do to fix it. In other words, stick keys is not a permanent problem.

But for your current problem, is clear you must return it. That problem is not acceptable and can't be fix by the customer.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
C
carkar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Gotcya. Wish I knew about the stuck key problem. Is there a reference or something I can find where I can unstick a key in case it happens again?

-Anton Rubinstein
I only know this because a friend that buy a ES100 did receive the unit with one stuck key. She call kawai and they give her instructions on how push key back in place.

I suppose I could ask her to write instructions.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

Owner of Kawai ES100
S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
It's defective, bad luck twice over. Now you have a decision. Do you like the sound and action on the ES100? If so replace it for yet another new one. If not return it and buy from another brand. But, you restart the selection process, and then your cycle of luck!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I doubt factory reset will fix the issue, but worth a try. Kawai support will probably ask you to try this anyway just as processes of elimination.

[Linked Image]

M
M
Originally Posted by carkar
Thanks, bud. How do the Casio brand digital pianos fair against the those that are typically known to of "higher quality"(e.g., kawai, yamaha, roland, etc)? Most of the Casios I've tried always sound very...electronic-y? It was also the first toy keyboard I got when I was around 10 smile
Casios have come a long way since then smile. Take a listen to them on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgEtHwMx9s

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Casios have come a long way since then smile. Take a listen to them on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgEtHwMx9s

I agree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYtH3jbLIfc

C
carkar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks!

Last edited by carkar; 01/01/14 04:13 PM.

-Anton Rubinstein
C
carkar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the Casio suggestions, you've opened my eyes! Iv'e been looking more and more at the Casio PX850. Are these console type pianos difficult to move around? But, more importantly, would anyone here have any experience with the key action between the Kawai ES100 and the Privia PX850?

-Anton Rubinstein
I've try the Casio PX-350 that have the same key action than the PX-850. Was only for an hour, though.

Is hard to say. The casio and kawai ES100 feel "similar", in my opinion. Both are good enough. Only thing i really notes is that Casio keys are more noisy than Yamaha P-105 and Kawai ES100. You can clearly hear the hammer hitting the bumpers when press and release the keys. That was the only thing i really didn't like. But if you use a lot of volume i suppose might not be a big issue.

I hear someone say also that casio have more side-play on the keys than other brands, but in my opinion was not too bad. I don't find that a big issue.

Also, casio fulcrum is more near the keys than kawai:
  • Casio PX-350 Key fulcrum: 40% of real Piano - Key dip: Front 10mm, Rear 2mm
  • Kawai ES100 Key fulcrum: 72.5% of a real Piano - Key dip: Front 12mm, Rear 4.35mm

I am assuming the Casio PX-850 have the same keybed than PX-350, but might not be the case.

Last edited by Daniel Richter; 01/03/14 11:28 AM.

Owner of Kawai ES100
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by carkar
The problem occurred again. This time I unplugged the pedal and the keys were still dead. I then plugged it back in and the keys remained dead. After about 30 seconds, whist in the middle of repeatedly pressing random A and F keys across the slab, it started working again. At this point, the problem can be either the pedal, the actual pedal connector on the keyboard, or completely unrelated to the pedal.

Did you unplug the pedal when the unit was turned off and then power up the unit , discovering the keys were still dead ? Or was the unit already on and did you then unplug the pedal. There is a difference;

in the second case I can imagine the pedal still messed up the ES. In that case I would:
- remove the power from the ES,
- unplug the pedal,
- put the power back in,
- switch the ES100 on and...
- perform a factory reset (!)

Then start playing - still without the pedal. If the problem does not reoccur , try it for a while until you're convinced it works. Then plug the pedal back in. You probably notice the problem reoccurs. If so - the pedal and/or pedal connector on the ES is the culprit. Request a new pedal from the dealer and perform the whole sequence above (no pedal + reset) and then try it with the new pedal. Problem gone : it was the pedal itself. Problem exists : the ES has a faulty pedal connector or electronics.

Exchanging a pedal is always easier than the whole unit. Especially if the rest, like the keybed , is now OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Clavinova CLP100 no sound on left
by Tony Arnold - 06/24/21 10:33 AM
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,679
Posts3,106,848
Members101,893
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission