2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Jeff,

Mike punches the keys, the well-known tempered tones sound forth.

You make it sound easy, but I’m not just dangling a bare line in the water.

My comments on Chinese advertising and market realities while blunt are factual. The irrelevance of sound in the marketplace vs. brand authenticity might have something to do with the thousands of pianos sold simply because they are loud, shiny, and their name rings a bell. And while the term plywood is arguable, it gets the point across and is less deceptive than grade “A” spruce or meniscus coating.

As far as the SMP being somewhat arbitrary, I was quoting Larry Fine.

You are a good writer, Jeff, but after finishing with me, devoting the other half your post to a piano brand homage doesn’t really help your objectivity.

And then there’s you and Karl commiserating over my wickedness, speculating on my roguishness, and congratulating each other on your restraint. Smite the wicked? Are you guys serious? Wait, don't answer that.

Anyway, if there is a method to my madness it is stick with facts and ignore the trash talk:

“ shows your total ignorance of the reality, personally attacking a particular pair of brands, blathering on about a piano of which you have no knowledge, mental, rogue, I think you smoked one too many, lobbing feces, don't have a clue about what you are talking about, cheap rethorics about China are worth less then a dime, a ridiculous statement, you are obviously paranoid, moron, was a member of his family injured by a Chinese person or persons, is there a rational explanation for this venom, buffoon, the contributions of MC are hysterical and mental, appallingly bad manners, Mike Carr . . . he doing a pretty miserable job, plan nine from outer space, juvenile, Be a man or listen to your landlord Jeb play it,” etc.

I’m not sure whose feelings you say are being hurt, who is showing restraint, or who is trolling, and while it's all pretty heroic stuff, all I see is that everyone seems to be having a good time.

Anyway, if casual observers were to read this thread they'd marvel at a tiny mob of piano cultists and didacts ineffectively chasing me around, that doozy of a beginning with Mr. Second to Nobody describing the inner workings of a piano store he’s never been in, but the final and most intriguing question, the one that would leave most folks scratching their heads?

Who in the **** is Jeb?

Mike

Jolly Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
An observation:

This "ignore" feature works well! Again, thanks to those who suggested it...

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Mike Carr
Jeff,

Mike punches the keys, the well-known tempered tones sound forth.

You make it sound easy, but I’m not just dangling a bare line in the water.

My comments on Chinese advertising and market realities while blunt are factual. The irrelevance of sound in the marketplace vs. brand authenticity might have something to do with the thousands of pianos sold simply because they are loud, shiny, and their name rings a bell. And while the term plywood is arguable, it gets the point across and is less deceptive than grade “A” spruce or meniscus coating.

As far as the SMP being somewhat arbitrary, I was quoting Larry Fine.

You are a good writer, Jeff, but after finishing with me, devoting the other half your post to a piano brand homage doesn’t really help your objectivity.

And then there’s you and Karl commiserating over my wickedness, speculating on my roguishness, and congratulating each other on your restraint. Smite the wicked? Are you guys serious? Wait, don't answer that.

Anyway, if there is a method to my madness it is stick with facts and ignore the trash talk:

“ shows your total ignorance of the reality, personally attacking a particular pair of brands, blathering on about a piano of which you have no knowledge, mental, rogue, I think you smoked one too many, lobbing feces, don't have a clue about what you are talking about, cheap rethorics about China are worth less then a dime, a ridiculous statement, you are obviously paranoid, moron, was a member of his family injured by a Chinese person or persons, is there a rational explanation for this venom, buffoon, the contributions of MC are hysterical and mental, appallingly bad manners, Mike Carr . . . he doing a pretty miserable job, plan nine from outer space, juvenile, Be a man or listen to your landlord Jeb play it,” etc.

I’m not sure whose feelings you say are being hurt, who is showing restraint, or who is trolling, and while it's all pretty heroic stuff, all I see is that everyone seems to be having a good time.

Anyway, if casual observers were to read this thread they'd marvel at a tiny mob of piano cultists and didacts ineffectively chasing me around, that doozy of a beginning with Mr. Second to Nobody describing the inner workings of a piano store he’s never been in, but the final and most intriguing question, the one that would leave most folks scratching their heads?

Who in the **** is Jeb?

Mike

Originally Posted by Mike Carr
You do not need a contractual or signed agreement to prove collusion or conspiracy regarding antitrust law. The concept of agreement in antitrust doctrine is far removed from the law of contracts and can be proven with direct or circumstantial evidence. Waterboarding, hooking a field telephone to defendants’ appliances, or forced listening to Yma Sumac records are also options. In a practical sense, it’s important to avoid conduct which might be construed as an agreement. Anti-poaching by-laws or ethics codes endorsing customer ownership would likely fit that conduct.

And remember, this action is not aimed at music teachers, it is against the trade organization. Trade organizations, by their nature, an organization of competitors, are petri dishes for anti-competition investigators, the salmonella of anti-trust doctrine.

The only intent the plaintiff has to prove, in a per se anti-trust violation, is the intent to enter into the violation. State of mind or intent to harm are not required.

As a side issue the poster who mentioned frying small businesses now leads me to believe that the anti-poaching clause might have been used in a cooking or possibly hunting lexicon. How would you poach piano students? Straight up water or maybe a butter sauce? I never thought the meat would be that tough to begin with but as with all stringent meat, say tri-tip or brisket, I favor an overnight marinade in the fridge or possibly a shallow dish on the counter covered with cheesecloth.

As for hunting, I was not aware there was a season for piano students. How do you go about it? Sprinkle a little corn on your front lawn? Or do you need a poster of a Steinway in the window to lure them in. Maybe speakers playing Chopin hidden strategically in the bushes will work. But if they are in season, I’m all for hunting them. I heard there is a ready market for the piano students' teeth in China. Chinese piano makers claim that when hand-matched and fitted together the teeth make great piano keys, easily cleaned with pepsodent or dentu-crème.

I discussed this with my neighbor, Jeb Harlan (I often help him haul down the confederate battle flag he flies off his front porch so he can sleep in it), who’s 112 and of the mind that it’s all an Obama conspiracy to get rid of music, Christmas carols in particular, so he can replace them with Islamic chants. Jeb’s also against high fructose syrups and fluoride in the water system.

Mike

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Mr. Carr,

I'm not sure what "setiments" are, but your reference is hubristically unaware.

"setiments" are feelings that settle in the lowest places of the heart.

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear Jeff:

What a wonderful reply and a totally sound conclusion. To paraphrase Gary Graffman - "(we) really should be practising."

Karl Watson
Staten Island, NY

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...devoting the other half your post to a piano brand homage doesn’t really help your objectivity..."

Worse: I think I actually made an error of fact. The Cunningham model that features an integrated computer system--- which I think is a great idea--- is an upright model; the one discussed in this thread is a grand. Never played either, no opinion on the sound or playability. Nor has Cunningham ever prepped any piano of mine, but they do have the reputation of exceeding the baseline. When we hear the phrase, "leaf-blower renovation" so many times, it does not suggest that the industry-wide standard is necessarily all that high, but it is comforting--- isn't it?--- when we're assured that "the mouse is included; no extra charge."

"...Who in the **** is Jeb?..."

Jeb Bush? Jed Clampett? Lots of things in this thread didn't really make sense; I just figured it was another cutting remark made with a knife that was too dull.

"...I’m not sure whose feelings you say are being hurt, who is showing restraint, or who is trolling, and while it's all pretty heroic stuff, all I see is that everyone seems to be having a good time..."

Well, you have raised Cunningham's profile a notch or two---at least around here and maybe on Google; that is one effect... and that is the one party I haven't heard complaining. Maybe--- probably--- it's the custom of hunters at a turkey shoot not to consider how the turkeys feel about it. If we admire the sharpshooter's aim, we can still feel for the collateral damage... but now we've strayed from Jeb to Cheney's hunting buddy. You've stated yourself that the gobblers are running around and squawking--- ("Ouch! That was real buckshot!")--- I don't think you can have your turkey loaf and eat it, too.

"...Anyway, if casual observers were to read this thread they'd marvel at a tiny mob of piano cultists and didacts ineffectively chasing me around..."

Ok. So you're putting it on the footing of touch football, rather than blood sport. I see why I didn't get it: it was those compulsory pep rallys in high school; they backfired badly. I've hated football ever since, and my sporting sense is not very well developed. I tend to think of these things more in the light of provoking fights while driving on the public highways, where things can turn into blood sport before we can fairly get the last word in.

Well, it's Monday morning, and I have a life to go to.

Clef

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Rich owes Mike a steak dinner for all the positive publicity he's gotten out of this thread from people defending him and his piano against Mike.

That is, if he isn't already on the payroll... smokin

Gary

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
You're a very sick man.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
MM,
You're a very sick man.

Aww. Why the name calling? You still smarting from our little tiff? But thanks for the compliment.

In the next thrilling episode, Rich kindly recieves two strangers from the west, and calls home to announce, er, guess who's coming to dinner?

Mike

The thread that was not locked, but maybe should have been... was... is...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission