2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
ElleC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I started piano lessons 10 months ago with my teacher right off the bat. She is amazing and I don't think I could've progressed at this pace if it wasn't for her. Now, she is pregnant will be having her first baby in a month or so and I'm sure she'll be on maternity leave for a few months. My question is, is it wise to hire a different teacher for the time being? Or will that just cause issues? Of course I can just do stuff on my own but I really like having someone to guide me.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I would seek out another teacher in the interim, but if you get attached to the new teacher, you'll have trouble deciding what to do if and when your present teacher wants to resume. You might ask her for advice.

A
A
Originally Posted by ElleC
I started piano lessons 10 months ago with my teacher right off the bat. She is amazing and I don't think I could've progressed at this pace if it wasn't for her. Now, she is pregnant will be having her first baby in a month or so and I'm sure she'll be on maternity leave for a few months. My question is, is it wise to hire a different teacher for the time being? Or will that just cause issues? Of course I can just do stuff on my own but I really like having someone to guide me.

Did you ask your teacher who she recommends to teach you temporarily during her maternity leave?

She should know teachers who she would trust to teach you while she takes her leave.

For example, my teacher temporarily taught a colleague's student while she was on maternity leave because she knew that she was leaving her student in good hands and he would get quality instruction.

A R

Sauter 122 Masterclass (M-Line)
E
ElleC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
^ AR no I haven't spoken to my teacher about it cause I feel like it's rude. I'm not really sure how to bring it up.

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
A
A
^ AR no I haven't spoken to my teacher about it cause I feel like it's rude. I'm not really sure how to bring it up.

Did your teacher tell you that she would be taking a leave?

If she did, perhaps you could ask her what she had intended for you to keep up your piano lessons while she wasn't teaching.

Did she expect for you to have a pause in lessons?

Do you want to forgo piano lessons for the time she is away from teaching?

I do not believe it is rude to ask these questions of her if you simply ask her what she expects you to be doing during her leave. This would open up the conversation as to what type up options you might have. If you want to continue lessons TEMPORARILY with another teacher, then having her recommend a replacement for the short term would allow her to have input and also introduce you to your temporary teacher. This way any teacher she recommends knows that the lessons you are taking from them is for the short term.

Maybe others have suggestions on an approach with which you are more comfortable.

I have learned that being direct with a question I have gets the conversation going.

You could start out that you know that her maternity leave will be coming up soon and does she have any suggestions for you regarding keeping up with piano, piano lessons, whatever. You might say that you really feel you are making such good progress that you would prefer to have no gaps in instruction while she is enjoying her time with her new baby.

The topic of maternity leave is just a part of a any professional woman's life. Women physicians refer their patients to other physicians they trust when they are on maternity leave. So why not a piano teacher?

A R

Sauter 122 Masterclass (M-Line)
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I agree, I think you need to ask her. In fact, if the baby is due that soon, I'm surprised she hasn't brought it up herself. Perhaps she's not planning as much leave as you think, or I would have thought she would discuss it with students.

1989 Baldwin R
E
ElleC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
AR Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just go ahead and ask her when I see her next time.

JDW, yeah that's kind of what I thought as well. But she never brought up maternity leave. But now that you guys picked my brain...the only thing I can think of is she did mention (at our first meeting) that her husband also teaches piano! Now I'm assuming that he's going to take over for the interim. But, then again, I also know his main focus is guitar and that's what he teaches mostly. So now I'm not sure if I want him to teach me =/

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
She may be planning only a very short break.

Learner
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Perfectly fine to ask her 1. is she taking leave? and 2. for how long?

If it's only going to be a matter of a few weeks, she may be able to assign you enough to work on, on your own. But, if it's going to be longer, I think I'd definitely want to take lessons from someone. And that someone should be a person she suggests. I get the feeling that you have every intention of continuing to work with your present teacher.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
This is her first baby, too, so that can be very overwhelming. My business partner just had her first and her goals and ideas on how it would work were vastly overestimated, and so a lot of accommodations are being made with regards to her teaching schedule.

Best to talk to her about it, but be prepared to be flexible afterwards as she adjusts to the addition to the family. You seem to really enjoy learning with her, and it will most likely be a temporary change.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I also know his main focus is guitar and that's what he teaches mostly. So now I'm not sure if I want him to teach me =/

Perhaps a few months of strumming like a rock god wouldn't be a bad thing!

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
ElleC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Morodiene...I definitely enjoy learning from her and I'm very flexible with my schedule so I'm sure it won't be that much of a problem when the time comes.

Earlofmar...my dad taught me how to play the guitar when I was little. I actually thought of maybe taking that too. But piano and guitar might be a little too much noise for my husband. Lol

Well, I had my lesson today and I asked how long she's planning to be on leave. She's hoping for only a month. She will have her mom stay with her for a while to help out with the baby. I guess I can do without lessons for 4 weeks and just do my own thing until then.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I take lessons at a music school so when my teacher was pregnant then another teacher stepped in. I cannot remember who that was not (it was 8 years ago) but it was ok and then I got my usual teacher back after she had the baby and it was only a few months from when she had the baby to coming back

Last edited by adultpianist; 11/25/13 06:31 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

You could do - or how about seeing if a university music student can help you out til your teacher is back? They might be glad of the money and will be more flexible regarding time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher took a 4 month break for her first child near the end of my second year of lessons. I would say that it does seem to be a concern at the time but in retrospect, it was no big deal. Every teacher has their philosophy of teaching technique, and I would think it is more of a problem to take on a different teacher in between unless you are contemplating leaving your teacher. My teacher lost a few students because of her maternity leave, but most stayed, and her absence did not affected my progress now another couple years have past. If anything, my own issues with work and family affects my progress far more than my teacher's breaks. If you consider staying with this teacher for the next 2 to 3 more years, then a few months off without her is not a concern. You'll be just fine on your own; an opportunity to learn do some fun stuff that you normally would get to do, and not necessarily piano related either.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

You could do - or how about seeing if a university music student can help you out til your teacher is back? They might be glad of the money and will be more flexible regarding time.

I would not want a music student teaching me as they are still STUDENTS. I would only go with a fully qualified teacher

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
There is no such thing as a "fully qualified" piano teacher. At least, I have never met one, and I *am* a piano teacher. I think the student idea might not be bad.

M
M
Originally Posted by adultpianist
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

I would not want a music student teaching me as they are still STUDENTS. I would only go with a fully qualified teacher
Yes, you never know. Some may be good, some not, just like regular piano teachers. They can have degrees and memberships and other qualifications, but be a bad teacher, or not a good fit for you. When I started out teaching I was not qualified by any means. But my students still learned things and improved.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission