2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (Catlady, 36251, brennbaer, Calavera, Bill McKaig,RPT, Animisha, 13 invisible), 934 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
I think we owe it to one another to recount how we survive worst case scenarios, so I thought this might be of some use, since it has kept me up nights, before.

I was called in to deal with a Steinway's agraffe repair gone wrong, and find the stud is way down there, upper plate threads a hammered and beaten memory. If this wasn't a call for the Pianotek insert protocol, I don't know what was. Using a big bit and tapping for a new thread is a really straightforward answer to this sort of situation, getting around all sorts of problems, usually.

I started that "Q" bit into the plate, eyeballing the fore and aft, side to side. It happily ground through about 3 mm of plate iron and then would go no farther. I vacuumed and viewed the excavation, finding amid the golden glow of the broken agraffe's stud, two bright spots. Just the sort of spots that pieces of hardened steel drill bits in brass might look like. Way down in there.

I took pause, as this looked like that most dangerous adversary, a wounded plate. Lawsuits swirl around these things and I had not considered that the insert approach would run into its own problems. I thought of micro-torches annealing, I thought of circular hole saws small enough to "core" the damage out, I thought of pin block jacks and big hammers pounding on punches. I thought of lawyers.. However, I also thought about what I had in the car that might help. I ended up spending 20 minutes I didn't' plan on, and walked out with the note at pitch.

I used a Dremel tool with the small stone grinding bit. Full speed with a very light feed in tight circular motions.The Q bit is quite a bit oversize and its initial plunge had left a larger well in which to center the bit, so I had only to keep the tool vertical and near the center of the hole to feel confident it would eat mostly brass. What I noticed was that with a light touch, I could feel the tip of the tool touch the steel, it has a different feel. I rested no more than the weight of the Dremel on the grinder and it took about eight minutes acting like a dentist before I felt the last remnant of the steel pop loose and twirl around in the metal scree filling the hole around the bit.

From there, it was a simple job to Easy-out the stub, finish drilling, tap and install the insert, and put the wires back on. total time was 1 3/4 hours.
Regards,

-------------------------------------------
Ed Foote RPT

-------------------------------------------

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Note to self: Start packing my Dremel in the van...

Wow, Ed. Impressive.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 'Gonna look up that insert idea.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Excellent improvising Ed! I especially liked the way you felt and heard your way along the job.

As an alternative, you can take a drift pin punch that is just smaller than the threaded shank and drive the broken bits and agraffe shank out of the plate. Then drill the 7/32 hole out to .250" and tap threads as needed to install new agraffe.

The worst one I had to do was an agraffe with a broken easy-out and two small drill bits in it.

For anyone faced with the first stab at removal of a broken agraffe-DO NOT use an easy-out!!! The soft brass of the agraffe will expand from the easy-out and seize in the threads.

Get a reverse direction, (from a machine tool supplier), drill bit around .20" diameter and use a variable speed, reversing drill in reverse to slowly drill into the brass and it will just thread out of the hole-easy as pie. The bit will "bite" into the soft brass and force it to turn with the motor.

Also do not use oil when you tap threads in grey iron. If you do, the tap may seize in the hole. The graphite form of carbon in grey iron affords a self-lubricating quality.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
M
M
Good information - Thanks - Rick

Learning to play the piano, very happy with my 1907 Ivers Pond uprights, and ready to part with my Yamha C7 - not the sound I like.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Bill Evans!
by Dfrankjazz - 08/16/22 10:52 PM
F. Weber action removal
by DH83 - 08/16/22 11:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,430
Posts3,216,932
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission