2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
94 members (benQF, anotherscott, 36251, ambrozy, Bob Husband, Animisha, 1903wrightflyer, AlphaTerminus, 17 invisible), 832 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
Originally Posted by Voce
Not Piano, but I truly think the 4th movement of Mahler's 9th Symphony is the most profound and beautiful movement of classical musio (only my opinion of course). This is Bernstein giving analysis of it if you guys are interested.

Lenny gives comments on 9th Symphony

Thanks for bringing up Mahler. I'll give Lenny a listen, but my first thought wasn't the 9th Symphony it was the one that came after, Das Lied Von Der Erde. Der Abschied (the farewell) kills me every time I hear it. It was after all Mahler's farewell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_bwuSK7U34

Voce, the person you are saying "thanks" to, last posted anything here over a year and a half ago, and is showing as last being online here in November of last year.

Last edited by wr; 09/10/13 06:42 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Dwscamel
Chopin's Opus 55/2 and 62/1 jump to my head right away. The beauty of these works cannot be quantified. It is almost infinite.

55/2 didn't do anything for me.

Really? Even those amazing moments at, for example, 24-26, 34-38, or 58-62? I find that hard to believe. Give it some more listens.

For real. This and 62/1 are the two best nocturnes in my opinion.

One can have favourites, or perceive some music as ultimately more beautiful than other music, but I don't think one can realistically try to know which is best (same as with the two Mozart sonatas mentioned in a different post, and Polyphonist's ranking of the composers with Beethoven in 1st place).

M.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dwscamel
Chopin's Opus 55/2 and 62/1 jump to my head right away. The beauty of these works cannot be quantified. It is almost infinite.

55/2 didn't do anything for me.

Really? Even those amazing moments at, for example, 24-26, 34-38, or 58-62? I find that hard to believe. Give it some more listens.

For real. This and 62/1 are the two best nocturnes in my opinion.

I agree with how good they are, but I end up coming back to 9/1 and 27/2 smile

I think I'll learn 9/1 next semester...

A
A
Chopin's Fourth Ballade, Fourth Scherzo, Rondo a la mazur, Krakowiak Rondo -- Chopin's Rondos should be played more often.
Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, No. 28 Op. 101 & No. 31 Op. 110
Schubert's Piano Sonata, D 960
Feinberg's Berceuse, Op. 19a
Faure's Nocturne No. 2, Op. 33 No. 2
Schumann's Blumenstucke, Geistervariationen
Scriabin's Poeme, Op. 59 No. 1
Brahms's Violin Sonata No. 1
Dohnanyi's Piano Quintet No. 1 in C Minor, No. 2 in Eb Minor (The intermezzo melts my heart).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vak0Qn22Euc

Medtner's Sonata Romantica, Op. 53 No. 1

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by FSO
I suggest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRvlMz6pBXI ...just off the top of my head and quickly; got to go...but listen! laugh
Xxx

And why did I guess it would be Stanchinsky?! (God forbid that you should ever become predictable, FSO!) laugh

I did listen to the entire piece. Not exactly my <insert name of beverage favoured by Brits>. He was certainly ahead of his time, but to these traditionalist, pedestrian ears, that is not necessarily a good thing. smile

W
W
This piece by Alan Hovhaness is wonderful (as any of his piece) :

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
How about the Preludium of Bach's Bb Partita?

It's hard to beat that...

-J

W
W

How about the Preludium of Bach's Bb Partita?

It's hard to beat that...

Indeed, a most beautiful piece.

What about this one :

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Saul

I miss Saul. At least he made the discussions interesting.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Someone mentioned they could not think of any beautiful pop music. Well depends on how you define pop and what era of pop music you're talking about.

Most people in this group are not familiar with the pop music (sometimes called jazz) of the 20s,30s, and 40s.

A couple of my favorite pop tunes from that time period are:

Star Dust and Deep Purple. (Not the Deep Purple song of recent years.)

I've read that Star Dust is the most recorded of all popular songs.

George Gershwin was NOT the only great pop music composer.

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bech
George Gershwin was NOT the only great pop music composer.

Of course not. I'm not a Beatles fan, but I am a Paul McCartney fan. Paul is the most consistently great songwriter alive in my opinion (Lennon was great too, but I'm on the Paul side of the fence). It takes an exceptionally brilliant musical mind to come up with a pieces like Yesterday, Hey Jude, Let it Be, etc. I won't go into all his other fantastic hits, nor will I mention his wonderful work after the Beatles.

I get a lot of crap from people, even [one of] my own classical-listening friends, for supporting Paul McCartney. If one truly loves music without bias, they won't have such an uninformed, bigoted attitude. I accept great music when I hear it, and I certainly don't allow popularity to skew my perception.

Honorable mentions: 1, Freddy Mercury. Bohemian Rhapsody. Need I say anything? 2, Michael Jackson. Again, need I say anything? 3, Jimmy Page at his height. The Rain Song is one of the best pieces of music ever written.

PS: I think it's absolutely hilarious that many classical listeners think good music ended a long time ago, as if all of the talent dropped off the earth. There are still brilliant composers, it's just that the style has shifted to a less complex, but not inferior method of writing. If you dropped Paul McCartney into the 19th century, he would have written some wonderful stuff then too. There will always be genius musicians, you just have to sift them out from all of the mediocre BS. Do you think Beethoven was the only composer in his time? There was plenty of mediocrity, trust me. They were insignificant, unlike Beethoven, so they did not stand the test of time. If humans are still here in 100 years, the greats of the 20th century will be up there with the greats of the 19th and 18th centuries, and will be hailed as such.

Last edited by JoelW; 09/14/13 04:42 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by TheHappyMoron

I miss Saul. At least he made the discussions interesting.

Well, if you think pushing the same button or two over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over is interesting.

To me, not so much.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Who is Saul and what happened to him?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Who is Saul and what happened to him?

This pretty much sums him up:

Originally Posted by wr

the same button or two over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Just for clarification wr my “missing saul” was sarcastic laugh

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by TheHappyMoron

Just for clarification wr my “missing saul” was sarcastic laugh

Thanks for the clarification - I thought you meant it. On the internet, you never know...

D
Damon Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
D
Polonaise Fantasie anyone? (or was that mentioned?)

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Damon
Polonaise Fantasie anyone? (or was that mentioned?)

Yes, I love the piece and am coming to love it more and more day by day. It would be on my top ten Chopin list, and probably my top 5.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

PS: I think it's absolutely hilarious that many classical listeners think good music ended a long time ago, as if all of the talent dropped off the earth. There are still brilliant composers, it's just that the style has shifted to a less complex, but not inferior method of writing. If you dropped Paul McCartney into the 19th century, he would have written some wonderful stuff then too. There will always be genius musicians, you just have to sift them out from all of the mediocre BS. Do you think Beethoven was the only composer in his time? There was plenty of mediocrity, trust me. They were insignificant, unlike Beethoven, so they did not stand the test of time. If humans are still here in 100 years, the greats of the 20th century will be up there with the greats of the 19th and 18th centuries, and will be hailed as such.

Perhaps - but in the context of the "type" of music they produced. McCartney is a gifted songwriter, no doubt about it (and both he and Lennon were my two favorite "pop" music composers back in the 60's). But absolutely no way is McCartney capable of producing musical works comparable in beauty, depth and complexity as those of the true "greats" of the 17th, 18th, 19th, or 20th centuries. Sorry, but his work is "inferior" even though it is (and will probably remain) immensely popular.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by carey

Perhaps - but in the context of the "type" of music they produced. McCartney is a gifted songwriter, no doubt about it (and both he and Lennon were my two favorite "pop" music composers back in the 60's). But absolutely no way is McCartney capable of producing musical works comparable in beauty, depth and complexity as those of the true "greats" of the 17th, 18th, 19th, or 20th centuries. Sorry, but his work is "inferior" even though it is (and will probably remain) immensely popular.

Well said, except I care even less than you do about pop music. ha

Regards,

Polyphonist
Online Content
Originally Posted by Carey

Well said, except I care even less than you do about pop music. ha

I stopped caring about it around 40 years ago....... grin

Last edited by carey; 09/15/13 02:14 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yundi Li arrested
by Sidokar - 10/26/21 05:36 AM
A thought experiment
by cygnusdei - 10/26/21 03:58 AM
Modern U where is the sample folder located?
by MooganDavid - 10/25/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,749
Posts3,142,129
Members103,118
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission