2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bennevis

And let's not forget also how much Rachmaninoff appreciated Mahler's efforts with the care he took over the rehearsals when conducting his 3rd concerto, when he performed it under the great Austrian. If only that concert was recorded......

Yes, I have read that thumb . Also during Mahler's short tenure in NY, he conducted Beethoven's Emperor with Busoni at the piano.

Oh to have been there for that! The concert reportedly generated quite a bit of controversy.

Jason

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

And Mahler was something of a pianist [...] he concluded he didn't have the gift to be a concert pianist, having started a bit later than most successful concert pianists.

From what I have read, I don't think the life of a concert pianist ever really appealed to him. According to Bruno Walter, Mahler was a stupendous pianist, and could demonstrate literally anything -piano or orchestral- at the piano.

I've often wondered why Mahler never wrote a massive symphonic piano concerto à la Brahms, Busoni or Furtwangler.

Walter was, of course, a Mahler protege. That's not to say that his observation is wrong.

It's been a while since I read the pertinent volume of the de la Grange biography, and I hope to look at it again this weekend. I have no doubt that Mahler was very good at the piano, but I'm sure you're right -- his more compelling interests were conducting and composing.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh no, not violin. The violin is too extroverted for me. Plus the piano is my favorite instrument. I did learn some cello, though, and it is a close second. Piano is just so much more versatile.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Stores,

I can appreciate your choice of the Cello. So soulful and avoids the sometimes "screechiness" of the violin. I've never understood why the Viola was not more popular.

Vibrato on the stringed instruments is a wonderful thing.

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I picked up violin last summer and have been taking group strings classes here at school. Am also involved in a chamber music ensemble. While finding time to practice as a CS/mathematics double major is difficult at best, it's a fantastic stress reliever.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
I wanted to play every instrument when I was a kid. Luckily, I was able to borrow and mess around with a lot of unused instruments sitting around the high school band room, but unfortunately the school had no orchestra program and the only stringed instruments available were a couple of basses. I did borrow one of those and learned to play eventually well enough to play in the college orchestra a bit, and ultimately working part-time as a freelance jazz player for about 20 years.

Back to the violin, though: while still in high school I spied a new, full-size violin in a music store: $35. (No, I didn't leave off a zero.) I bought it immediately, along with a method book, and spent a while trying to learn it on my own -- mostly unsuccessfully. As someone said above, it can take a long time to learn how to produce a sound that's not absolutely horrifying (and that particular violin might not have even been capable of sounding good). That had not been my experience with most other instruments I tried, and I lost interest after a while.

After I lost interest, a friend who also liked to experiment with whatever instrument he could borrowed my violin for a while. When he returned it, he handed the case to me with a proud look on his face, thanked me, and said "I took good care of it -- I even polished it for you." I must have looked as confused as I was feeling, because he added "you know, with that block of yellow stuff in the case." Yep -- he had rubbed rosin all over the body! The violin may have been a clunker, but that memory alone is worth the $35!

I'd rather be practicing wink
Kawai K-3, Roland FP-7F
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
My friend, a violinist, has fabulous phrasing and I really try to achieve that same sort of rhythmic freedom in my own playing. But the rhythmic constraints with the two hands...is sort of something that I think ground so many pianists (like myself).

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I wish I could play:

1. Piano
2. Organ
3. Violin
4. Cello
5. Bandoneon

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
No. The die is cast.

T
T
I so love every instrument, that if I had it to do over I'd be a composer.

thorn

-- Sometimes I poke. Even if I like you.

1920's Mason & Hamlin A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thorn_was_taken

Most if not all composers EVER have played at least one instrument semi-well. No?

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
No. While the violin has a lot of beautiful things going for it, and portability!, the piano is unmatched in creating multiple voices at the same time. All the crazy literature and transcriptions for solo piano make sense when your instrument constantly makes you feel like you could do anything (if only you were good enough :P).

Besides, the piano has the most obsessed composers in history behind it: Chopin is the ultimate pianists' pianist, never forgetting the instrument in his compositions; Rachmaninoff had extreme attention to detail and wrote heavy piano works that reflected a lifetime of learning; Liszt, Busoni, and Godowsky wrote mind-bendingly difficult, huge works that show just how obsessed we can be. (I think it's a quality that men tend to have more than women - to become absorbed by ONE interest and mastering that ONE thing, especially cumulative endeavors like the piano and math, instead of being good at several things.)

I adore how on-the-edge of possibility things like La Campanella, Rach 3, Prok 2, Prok 3, Rach's first sonata, Feux Follets, Busoni's concerto, literally anything by Godowsky, Liszt's transcriptions of Beethoven's SYMPHONIES for piano, and so many other things for the piano seem.

We're addicted to a disregard of the impossible.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Absolutely not.

T
T
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by thorn_was_taken

Most if not all composers EVER have played at least one instrument semi-well. No?

definitely. but if i had to choose a single instrument today to spend hours & hours practicing, i'm not sure i could do so easily, except if i knew for sure that in doing so ii wouldn't be closing off my other options. as a composer one can temporarily 'get inside' any instrument or combination one chooses.

thorn

-- Sometimes I poke. Even if I like you.

1920's Mason & Hamlin A
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission