2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (camperbc, 36251, brdwyguy, c++, AlphaTerminus, Albertan, Brendan, accordeur, 18 invisible), 1,484 guests, and 774 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bech Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
How long does it take a musically talented person to become an excellent concert pianist?

I'm guessing 15 years and would think the truly gifted keep improving into their 70s.

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
You're right; it's a guess.

Who knows?

It depends!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
Originally Posted by Bech
How long does it take a musically talented person to become an excellent concert pianist?

I'm guessing 15 years and would think the truly gifted keep improving into their 70s.
"Musically talented" and "excellent" are so vague that I'm afraid the question is meaningless.

P
P
For the truly gifted.

The typical top (young) classical pianist today starts formal lessons around the age of 5, performing internationally & winning competitions in their teenage years, and signing with a major recording label in their early or mid-20s.

Recent examples: Lang Lang, Kirill Gerstein, Jonathan Biss, Finghin Collins, Yuja Wang, Yundi Li, Alessio Bax, etc.

Working on RCM Grade 8
B
B
Niu Niu started lessons with his father at 3, made his Wigmore Hall (London) debut aged 9, and played Shostakovich's Piano Concerto No.1 at the Royal Festival Hall aged 10 (conducted by his mentor, Leslie Howard the Liszt man), at which age he also became the youngest pianist ever to sign an exclusive contract with an international classical label (EMI).

His second CD was of the complete Chopin Etudes (all 27), when he was 12.

Beat that! grin

(BTW, his recent Liszt CD is amazing.....)

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Varies greatly. Depending on how musically inclined one seems to be when they are younger, how hard they work, how good their teachers are, how lucky they get when it comes to landing professional gigs and making connections when they first get started, countless other factors that I don't even know of...

Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
Niu Niu started lessons with his father at 3, made his Wigmore Hall (London) debut aged 9, and played Shostakovich's Piano Concerto No.1 at the Royal Festival Hall aged 10 (conducted by his mentor, Leslie Howard the Liszt man), at which age he also became the youngest pianist ever to sign an exclusive contract with an international classical label (EMI).

His second CD was of the complete Chopin Etudes (all 27), when he was 12.

Beat that! grin

(BTW, his recent Liszt CD is amazing.....)

.....and by age 15 he was getting lukewarm reviews.....which, I suppose, meant he'd "really arrived" as a top concert pianist. grin

http://www.classical-scene.com/2012/09/22/niu-niu/

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A few days.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could play what we want and when we want and never have to worry about earning a buck. I had 2 award winning college profs...funny seems they made their living teaching.

Maybe an analogy would be like catching the ring on a carousel....once you do it you always want to catch it.....so how many times do you actually have to go around?

Why won't the people with all the answers simply step up and make it easier on everyone else? Ha!

rada

B
B
Originally Posted by carey

.....and by age 15 he was getting lukewarm reviews.....which, I suppose, meant he'd "really arrived" as a top concert pianist. grin

I wasn't there, but I read another review of the same concert which was pretty positive. Once someone has come of age, some reviewers think it's time to knock 'em down.....

You should listen to him for yourself.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
P
P
Hence I wrote "typical". There will be some arriving early and others arriving late. E.g., Evgeny Kissin recorded at 15, while Gabriela Montero didn't sign with a major label (EMI) until she was 35. But the law of averages still holds true.

Working on RCM Grade 8
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It doesn't only depend on time and effort, but also on external factors.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by peekay
Hence I wrote "typical". There will be some arriving early and others arriving late. E.g., Evgeny Kissin recorded at 15, while Gabriela Montero didn't sign with a major label (EMI) until she was 35. But the law of averages still holds true.

You wrote "typical", yes. But I'm not sure there's a "standard" deviation to which we can apply this ideal.

For example, if we have ten numbers, and "5" repeats 8 times, we can say that "5" is "typical" of that system. However, if we have ten numbers, and none of them repeat (or in a larger system, very few), it becomes increasingly difficult and usually meaningless to consider something "typical" of that system.

In another example, what is the "typical" brightness of the stars in the sky? This may actually be quantifiable, but I hadn't planned to stop at that question. wink The initial query asked about top concert pianists. Well, of all pianists, that is probably less than one hundredth of one percent. In terms of people, throughout history, and for which we have no objective data (recordings of Liszt, for example), this calculation would be the equivalent of asking what is the typical brightness of stars in one square foot of sky over the last three hundred years?

We can take into account a number of observable phenomena, and for those scientifically-minded folks, perhaps a number of calculations and data I am not aware of; but at the end of the day, the point is considerably moot.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
P
P
Ok, if you want to be that pedantic, I can play too... smile

Suppose, just for argument's sake, we define today's top (young) classical pianists as those satisfying all of the following:

1) has international prominence
2) has major classical recording(s) distributed by one of the major labels
3) is still performing publicly
4) is under 40 years of age

The age limit is because the original question implies "time and effort" for a "musically talented person" today, not 50 years ago.

Then, I would submit that both the average and median ages of these musicians' progress would follow along the lines of my first reply above. wink

Working on RCM Grade 8
I think there is far less correlation between time/effort/talent and career success than most people realize. So much so that I think the original question is moot.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I think there is far less correlation between time/effort/talent and career success than most people realize. So much so that I think the original question is moot.

I would even argue that, at the "top international level", the element of luck is perhaps more important than ability. (I should probably amend "ability" with the implication that its presence is to be significantly differentiated among artists at that top level, so no one can chime in and say, "Then my four year old who just started playing yesterday..." etc etc.)

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bech

Can someone be an excellent concert pianist without playing concerts?

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
A
A
I too believe "luck" can play a role, but can you give an example where pianists of equal ability and performance experience where one rockets to fame and the other remains in obscurity.

The "successful" one will say they created their own good luck, but I think personality type plays the largest role

Last edited by antony; 09/11/13 12:12 AM.
P
P
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

Can someone be an excellent concert pianist without playing concerts?

Practically speaking, no, because typically it takes many years of performing concerts, recitals & competitions at a high level before one can become an excellent concert pianist. (Excellence here judged at the top levels).

But there are other excellent pianists other than concert pianists.

And all this other stuff about "luck", etc., are irrelevant. The question is about the "time and effort" required to become a top concert pianist, not the 5000 other factors which must also come into play.

Working on RCM Grade 8
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by carey

I wasn't there, but I read another review of the same concert which was pretty positive. Once someone has come of age, some reviewers think it's time to knock 'em down.....

You should listen to him for yourself.

But of course !!! Quite frankly, I always take everything I read or hear in the media with a BIG grain of salt. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Away for 2 weeks
by Cutec - 10/24/21 05:29 PM
Notation Question (Pathetique Sonata 2nd Movement)
by DaveInMichigan - 10/24/21 03:18 PM
The Haunting at ParSem!
by Piano World - 10/24/21 02:27 PM
Historical pianos / Chris Maene
by Ppianissimo - 10/24/21 02:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,724
Posts3,141,778
Members103,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission