2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Strat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Some people who already have Ivory 2 have also purchased the American Concert D and I'm wondering what the differences are between the two.

Can't seem to find anybody who has had experience using both, but I'm hopeful that somebody will chime in with an answer. smile

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Ivory 2 is a suite of 3 pianos - a Bosendorfer, a German Steinway, and a Yamaha. in addition to the basic Ivory 2 program and its 3 pianos, there are several other sampled pianos you can purchase separately, either as an add-on to Ivory 2 (they will just show up as an additional piano in the library) or they can be purchased as stand-alone pianos if you don't want Ivory 2 as the base platform. Those are the Italian Grand (a Fazioli), the American Concert D (a New York made Steinway) and a suite of several upright pianos. now having said that- i know the American Concert D can be stand-alone, i'm not completely sure of others. I'm sure its easily determined on synthogy's website.

Most comparisons you see on the forum are between the German D and the American D. I have both and frankly i couldn't tell you which i like better. it just depend on the mood i'm in, the type music i'm playing, and how my ears respond on any given day. As someone else once described it - The German has a "silvery" sound- its a new piano, has a more metallic ring to it. The American has a "golden" tone, it is an older piano and has that broken in sound and has a "woodier" timbre to it. The American is a larger program and has longer samples and 18 velocity levels vs 16 for the German- for some people that is a big deal, for the type stuff i like to play it doesn't mean that much to me.

I tend to really like the American through my speaker setup with very little reverb added. I let the actual room i'm playing in add the reverb. I much prefer the German through my headset- i feel i can control it better. All -in-all - for what i play i would pick the German if you put a gun to my head. But from a value perspective- i would say buy the American first- particularly if you like the Steinway sound. I don't care much for the Bos nor the Yamaha in Ivory 2- mainly because i just like the steinway sound better - so i've wound up paying a lot more for the use of the German Grand piano vs the American. The American D as a stand alone is a terrific value. So try it first- if you love it- you're done! I would certainly recommend it. If you really want multiple pianos, well the Ivory 2 program gives you three and they are all very usable.

I think Synthogy does a great job with their pianos.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have both Ivory 2 and American D. I love both products and am in general agreement with bfb.

I also agree that the Yamaha and Bosendorfer in Ivory 2 are sub-standard. They really don't hold up against the German-D and I never use them.

So - if it comes down to money, just get the American D and be happy. It is very nice.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I wonder what are sonic differences between the Ivory 2 pianos and the Ivory 1 (v1.5). I've had the latter for several years, which includes the German Steinway, the Bosie, the Yamaha, and the add-on Fazioli.

Do their Ivory 2 counterparts sound much different?

AZ_Astro: I wouldn't call the Bosie and Yamaha substandard. They're just different piano sounds.

The Yamaha is much brighter than the others ... that's Yamaha's sound. It's too bright for me, but it's hardly substandard.

And the Bosie sound is unique among pianos. It's not substandard. It's just very different. I find it better for Chopin than the Ivory German Steinway or the Galaxy Vintage D. It doesn't have the resonance of many modern pianos, nor the bell-like quality of a Steinway. But it's just perfect for some music.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by bfb

I tend to really like the American through my speaker setup with very little reverb added.

I agree. Seems to work well with just a touch of reverb added, to fill out and warm up the sound. A gorgeous sounding piano with superior playability.

C
C
Hi MacMacMac,

The Ivory II Grand Pianos has almost twice the amount of samples per note in comparison to Ivory 1.5. This will be the most obvious difference simply because, there are quite a bit more softer dynamic levels and some louder dynamics that were not in 1.5 giving you more expression and variety when playing.

There are other major features as well from the Ivory II Engine which is available for all Ivory II products. More information on these features can be found here: http://www.ilio.com/products/synthogy-instruments/ivoryIImore

Austin
Sales and Technical Support
ILIO
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
On the Ivory II. I can't agree with the Bosie and Yam being sub standard with the German Steinway being good. I judge just the opposite. Bear in mind that I'm not great at adjusting. There are plenty of presets already.
I find the German Steinway when played lightly/softly....it sounds muffled. Center octave isn't swift. When I bang on it, sounds much better.
Bosendorfer and Yamaha I prefer. Yet they can get too bright. Have to be choosy.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Thanks for the reply. Have you used both Ivory 1 and Ivory 2?
Originally Posted by composingkeys3
The Ivory II Grand Pianos has almost twice the amount of samples per note in comparison to Ivory 1.5. This will be the most obvious difference simply because, there are quite a bit more softer dynamic levels and some louder dynamics that were not in 1.5 giving you more expression and variety when playing.

There are other major features as well from the Ivory II Engine which is available for all Ivory II products. More information on these features can be found here: http://www.ilio.com/products/synthogy-instruments/ivoryIImore

C
C
Hi MacMacMac,

Yes I have. I personally am a big fan of Steinway so I like using the German D in Ivory Grand Pianos II and I also am a big fan of the Steinway in the American Concert D. The Yamaha and Bosendorfer has it's purposes as well though and brings variety.

Austin
Sales and Technical Support
ILIO
It sounds very tempting. It's a shame that Ivory 2 requires an Ilok.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It sounds very tempting. It's a shame that Ivory 2 requires an Ilok.

i know its a pain, but its not really that bad to live with it. and i wouldn't let it keep me from experiencing a wonderful VST, particularly if you like using software pianos. i think there is great value in Synthogy's product. you can buy the American D online at $179 US. that really is a great purchase, ilok or no ilok.
in my review above i didn't mention how smoothly the Ivory II works in Cantabile. at 256 samples buffer it runs great with no perceived latency (but then again my fingers ain't very fast) and i'm sure somebody with skills could make it run at a smaller buffer pretty easily. it never crashes on me.

Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I'm still looking hopefully for the day (that is coming as implied by the TrueKeys guy) that iLok will convert into a free-as-in-beer software solution. I can live with some amount of DRM but I'm not going to shell out for a device that does it, that sticks out of my USB port, and that, if lost or broken, makes it difficult or impossible to get my licenses back.

If and when that happens I'll probably buy Ivory and TrueKeys as well.

Last edited by gvfarns; 08/28/13 09:51 AM.
I hear you, gv. The recent fiasco with Ilok changed my view from "put off" to "no way". I was just wondering how much better the Ivory 2 pianos are compared to my Ivory 1. I'm hearing that there's some increase in the number of sampling levels, but that's not enough to get me to buy it just now.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
y'all are hard crowd.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The recent fiasco with Ilok changed my view from "put off" to "no way".

I've had no issue using Ilok. What has been your experience?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission