2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 7 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Shaylee Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Liszt - Ballade Ukraine

I discovered this Ballade half a year ago and really liked it (never heard someone to play it, I wanted something quiet easy and nice from Liszt), my teacher wasn't familiar with this, I learned it and played for him in lesson. He stopped me after 2 pages to say something about pedal and then said: "Don't play this anymore, this is terrible music, no wonder nobody plays it, I don't like that piece."

I was like "uhh, you didn't even heard the whole piece..."
It gave me several hours of work to learn and memorize it and make it sound good.

After few months this happened I listened this Ballade today and still like it. I think it is just matter of taste... there many nice comments on youtube..

What is your opinion? Do you like this?

"If you want to understand the music, you don't even need ears as much as heart"
P
P
I actually think it's quite beautiful, and uses a lot of Liszt's classic techniques. If your teacher doesn't like it, there's not much you can do;, but you can always learn it on your own! Just don't practice it more than your other pieces smile

Everyday is a great day.
S
Shaylee Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks, I already learned it, but after what my teacher said I didn't have desire to play it anymore. He said, I'm weird if I like this, so I wanted to know other opinions :-)

"If you want to understand the music, you don't even need ears as much as heart"
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Shaylee
Thanks, I already learned it, but after what my teacher said I didn't have desire to play it anymore. He said, I'm weird if I like this, so I wanted to know other opinions :-)

It isn't one of my favorite Liszt pieces, but there's no reason why you can't play it for yourself if you like it, whatever your teacher (or anyone else) thinks.

I've always had my own opinions about what I like (otherwise I'd be listening to, and playing pop rather than classical music now....), and almost from the time I was able to sight-read reasonably well, I'd been learning pieces for my own personal pleasure, which I never told any of my teachers.

In fact, of the several pieces I've liked enough to commit to memory over the years and still play regularly now, only one of them had been taught to me by a teacher.

If music be the food of love, play on!
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
One like blondes, other likes brunettes. This is all what I can say about your teacher. If you like it - play it. And his response was very unpleasant and ignorant for me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Shaylee,

I've heard worse, and this has a few very nice moments. Hey if you like it, who cares what anybody else thinks?

O
O
That's a terrible attitude from your teacher.

Learn the piece. This is YOUR journey on the piano - not your teacher's.

What's the #1 Secret to learning any song on the piano? Discover how to save time practicing!

http://www.takeonlinepianolessons.com

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think it's very beautiful! It's a shame about what your teacher said. I bet if this piece had Chopin written on top of it instead of Liszt, everyone would hail it as genius... but that's just the way of the world, I suppose.

The thing with Liszt's music is that he was often writing with his own skills in mind; and of course his skills border on complete mastery of the instrument. What this means for everyone else, is that it often takes incredibly thoughtful playing for his music to shine through, and anything less will sound contrived and amateur-ish. This is probably the reason why nobody plays this music.

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
No reason not to play it if you like it. It's definitely not one of his best pieces, but being Liszt it's bound to have some virtue to it. laugh

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jolteon
I bet if this piece had Chopin written on top of it instead of Liszt, everyone would hail it as genius...

No they wouldn't. Not everyone hails everything from Chopin's pen as genius... in fact, far from it.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
For example, the first piano sonata :P

Of course, still way better than I could ever dream to compose, but it's definitely not in the leagues of the second or third sonata.

S
Shaylee Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for opinions smile I know, it's not masterpiece, but I just don't think it's that bad!

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

What is your opinion? Do you like this?

Yes. It isn't the sort of piece I would learn myself but it is the sort of piece that would be playing on my stereo while I was reading a book. Very relaxing and pretty, it is.

N
N
I'm curious, why does your teacher not like this piece? "Terrible music" is pretty vague.

Having such a discussion with him/her about what good/terrible music mean for the two of you might actually be a very productive and thought provoking conversation.

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for opinions smile I know, it's not masterpiece, but I just don't think it's that bad!

Of course it's not "that bad" - it's by Liszt. Your teacher's point was that Liszt wrote many better works.

Regards,

Polyphonist
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Of course it's not "that bad" - it's by Liszt. Your teacher's point was that Liszt wrote many better works.
That might be your point, but the teacher did say it was "terrible music".

Du holde Kunst...
B
BDB Offline
B
I find it an interesting example of Liszt's improvisatory skills. I can imagine it was a Ukrainian melody that Liszt heard, and just kept playing over and over, adding different riffs from his bag of tricks.

Semipro Tech
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by currawong
That might be your point, but the teacher did say it was "terrible music".

Oh dear. Perhaps not 'terrible music', but gawd awfully dull. What a shame Liszt used the word 'Ballade'; I was expecting something on the level of his B minor masterpiece, but no such luck.

It is well known here that Liszt is one of my TOP composers, and considering all the incredible music from Liszt's pen, I might politely ask why one would waste their valuable time with something which IMO comes off as so routine and stillborn.

Did Liszt even write this? Most likely -amongst the banalities there is the occasional and unmistakable Lisztian 'fingerprint'- but it is also possible that one of his students could have written it.

Whatever, go for it! cool (At least I have now heard the piece.)

Jason
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have a couple musical guilty pleasures that may not be "great" works by any means, too. laugh

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I have a couple musical guilty pleasures that may not be "great" works by any means, too. laugh

But 'guilty pleasures' become a secret part of our life, we do not apologize, and thank-you, I'll have another round of the Warsaw Concerto. laugh

But this Liszt piece is no guilty pleasure for me, it is as uninspired as that awful Hungarian Fantasy.

In my world, the Gods sometimes stumble. (But of course on Mt Olympus they have other priorities than worrying about ME!)

Isn't life fun? laugh

Jason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission