2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Tritium Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
My guess is that 99% of the cheap dp buyers who have never played a piano before don't have a copy of Gieseking's 'Piano Technique' (eg. tone quality, tone duration, tone strength) on the music rest. Therefore, if they start with a yamaha NP-11, P-105, or P-155 makes little difference. All of these dp's will screw up a serious beginner just in a more subtle fashion if you use the P-155, or at least that is my belief.

Tritium makes an interesting point. But, whether specs in a document translate into something real as in this particular case with the Casio PX-850 is another matter. Problem is, I doubt whether advanced classical pianists will agree as to whether the Casio offers real benefits to those seeking nuanced playing capabilities.

Hi SL,

I come from an acoustic piano background (owned a Yamaha GA1 Baby Grand). I would consider myself to be somewhere between high intermediate to lower advanced technical skill level, and was classically trained with formal lessons for at least ten years in my youth. After spending a good 12 - 14 hours, now, with my new PX-850...I would not hesitate in stating that Casio "hit it out of the park" with this keyboard.

Perhaps some (who have not played it) may be dubious about the price...or perhaps have bad experience with cheaper Casio "toy" keyboards. However, I can state without reservation that this is a serious instrument of high quality, with a key action, feel and tone that is simply amazing at this price point.

I would go so far as to suggest that if you were blindfolded, and sat down and played on it, you might easily mistake it for a DP that costs 3 times as much.

Is it as good as my former Yamaha GA1. No, of course not. But as someone who is a serious pianist, and was forced to choose a digital piano solution, I am both satisfied and impressed with what Casio has managed to achieve and deliver with this product.

Also, I would point out that the PX-850 shares the exact same keyboard action as the PX-5S, a product that has been getting rave reviews, both here and on other keyboard sites.

Last edited by Tritium; 07/09/13 10:56 PM.
S
S
Tritium, I have to admit that based on existing explanations in this thread I don't understand how the enhanced polyphony of the Casio is relevant to superior performance. Your information is rooted in mystery. Perhaps the trisensor feature is important. Your glowing review is unexpected in that you are clearly making astonishing remarks of the 850's performance. Seems to good to be true.

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
T
Tritium Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Tritium, I have to admit that based on existing explanations in this thread I don't understand how the enhanced polyphony of the Casio is relevant to superior performance. Your information is rooted in mystery. Perhaps the trisensor feature is important. Your glowing review is unexpected in that you are clearly making astonishing remarks of the 850's performance. Seems to good to be true.

Wow, you are quite the skeptic. grin

No worries, mate...just teasing.

I think my over-all highly favorable impression of the PX-850 is due to a number of factors.

A) 256-note polyphony, and the extra HP that this specification allows for in terms of sample size, as well as virtual modeling of note decay, string resonance, etc.

B) 3-contact key sensor. Yes, most definitely. I can tell the difference in responsiveness and reaction versus older keyboard with 2-contact key sensor.

C) Virtual modeling of string resonance

D) Virtual modeling of damper response and resonance

Again, I encourage you to read other opinions on Casio's PX-5S (identical keyboard and above features)...which has a healthy thread going on here:

Casio PX-5S thread on PianoWorld Digital Piano Forum

As well as here:

Casio PX-5S thread on MusicPlayer forums

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C

. . .
A) 256-note polyphony, and the extra HP that this specification allows for in terms of sample size, as well as virtual modeling of note decay, string resonance, etc.
. . .

PMFJI --

"256-note polyphony" has _nothing_ to do with sample size, or virtual modelling of note decay, or "string resonance".

They're four different, unrelated measures of the sophistication of a digital piano's sound generator.

At least, that's how I understand it. You could build a DP with low polyphony, and big samples, fancy note-decay modelling, and "string resonance".

Or you could build a DP with very high polyphony, short samples, crude note-decay, and no string resonance.

It's not a good idea to use "polyphony" as a proxy for anything else.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
T
T
Originally Posted by Tritium
B) 3-contact key sensor. Yes, most definitely. I can tell the difference in responsiveness and reaction versus older keyboard with 2-contact key sensor.

AFAIK, the only thing the third sensor does is to allow you to depress the key again and get a sound, without letting the key go all the way back up. It's like the double escapement feature on a grand. Upright acoustics don't usually have the feature. I don't know if that's what you mean by "responsiveness and reaction", but that's all there is to it.

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"All of these dp's will screw up a serious beginner just in a more subtle fashion if you use the P-155, or at least that is my belief..."

Fair comment. But what really really screws up a beginner is a naff acoustic. There are Loads of those around as you well know. There`s nothing worse except a bad cup o` coffee . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
......yamaha NP-11, P-105, or P-155 ......... All of these dp's will screw up a serious beginner just in a more subtle fashion if you use the P-155, or at least that is my belief.

On the other hand, a beginner who has some talent and love for the sound will not screw up on any of those instruments. Why would they screw up at all? Demigods such as Bach and Haydn made music on the keyboards available at the time - crude and limited compared with a well made digital piano.

Ordinary mortals do the same.

Except if you're talking about a really out of condition acoustic, about which I'm broadly in agreement with PeterWs. Heaven preserve us from those.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
There are a few comments regarding polyphony "all else being equal". I don't believe there is ever a case of "all else being equal" if two similar pianos have different polyphony. If the tone generators were the same, then the manufacturer would quickly label the "low end" model with the higher polyphony number. Higher polyphony would seem to be indicative of a higher quality tone generator. If a lower quality tone generator could do more polyphony, the manufacturer would advertise it as so.

Everyone in this thread is speculating, so we should keep the postulations simple. Barring the unlikely case of a manufacturer intentionally crippling otherwise identical hardware or falsifying specifications, we can assume that the hardware will be marketed with the best of its capabilities.

Playing: Yamaha GC2
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
What

Don`t forget the pictures . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
Tritium Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well this has been an interesting thread. I buy a Casio PX-850, explained some of the personal, subjective reasons that motivated my selection, as well as listed some of the unit's technical features that also were key aspects in my choice.

I didn't expect this thread to devolve into arguments over what I perceived as being of particular value. For example, the sound engine's polyphony rating, and most recently the three contact sensor key system. What is worse, some of the comments imply that I don't have a legitimate reason for listing something as a "feature", and by extension...that I don't really know what I am talking about.

Polyphony has been beat to death...now the latest is the the 3-contact key sensor.

The third sensor provides the capability for a DP's action to emulate the response of an acoustic grand piano action...specifically, in regards to the double escapement feature. This system allows notes to be repeated without requiring full key returns, thereby allowing the player to execute rapid repeats, and in particular, rapid soft repeats and trills. Although Casio doesn't specifically advertise and associate their "Tri-sensor" with the double escapement mechanism, their system reproduces this effect, as do other DPs with a 3-contact key sensors.

Now, I also recognize this double escapement mechanism is not generally featured in an upright acoustic piano. In other words, with most upright acoustic (or a DP with only 2-contact sensor) the key has to more or less fully return before the note can be repeated. The drawback is that this takes extra time, which lowers the speed and facility of making rapid repetitions...and this especially the case when playing pianissimo or mezzo piano rapid repeats and trills.

With that said, the implied questioning for my listing of the PX-850's 3-contact key sensor as an important "feature/benefit" is confusing...especially since I have stated a few times in this thread that I previously owned a Yamaha GA1 Baby Grand acoustic. I learned on, trained on and owned grand piano(s) that have double escapement. Moreover, I play classical pieces in which this feature is appreciated...and that is why the 3-contact sensor is so important for me, personally.

Last edited by Tritium; 07/11/13 05:18 PM.
S
S
My harsh tone is a result of a pattern I've noticed within the digital forum:

1. Action is everything. All I need in addition is a "realistic sound" and good price. Yah, a done deal!

2. [6 months later] Can't tolerate the sound of this unit.

3. [Current solution] A stampede into software pianos which I predict will produce a different kind of frustration but in the end...the same fate.

I'm glad I never bought the p-155 because I don't believe I will be happy with any digital piano. Its a computer, not a piano.

[signing off...my last post in the digital forum]

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
T
Tritium Offline OP
OP Offline
T

1. Action is everything. All I need in addition is a "realistic sound" and good price. Yah, a done deal!

3. [Current solution] A stampede into software pianos which I predict will produce a different kind of frustration but in the end...the same fate.

I'm glad I never bought the p-155 because I don't believe I will be happy with any digital piano. Its a computer, not a piano.

StarvingLion, I hope you aren't leaving on my account. I was just trying to clarify a few points that I felt were, IMHO, being misunderstood or misapplied, when it came to commenting on features and/or specifications which were personal, subjective criteria I had used in selecting a particular DP solution.

Certainly, I respect your opinions, and encourage your continued participation.

Also, I agree that a DP is ultimately a compromise, and a series of trade-offs...which have to be balanced, when compared to a true acoustic piano. However, for those of us who want a piano, and for very legitimate reasons cannot select an acoustic piano (in my case, due to the fact that I now live in a Condo)...a Digital Piano is the only viable alternative.

Last edited by Tritium; 07/12/13 02:32 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
StarvingLion, I have read your post, here:

Well, sadly, StarvingLion, you (he) won't be able to read this because he has said good-bye.

Digital pianos are awesome beyond description in the same way that bicycles are awesome beyond description comparing bicycles to harleys and digitals to acoustics. But they are totally different things.

A digital can be dragged onto a bus, shoved under a bed, played 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, any time of the day or night.

Sure, the key action currently is less than perfect - but it is way, way, way, way, better than a spring loaded keyboard action when comes to playing the piano.

Sound to me is worth 1%, weighted key action 99.9999999%, battery operated 25% , lightweight 25%.

As as I have said before, if they made a 48 weighted key battery operated keyboard weighing 10 pounds, it would be priceless because you could carry it everywhere and play/practice it anytime - anywhere - on the planet or in outerspace.

When they make a 48 weighted key piano, it will change the piano world forever in the same way that laptops changed the computer world and cell phones used to be the size of a small motorcycle battery and now cell phones are the size of a medium sized chocolate bar.

Last edited by Michael_99; 07/11/13 07:58 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
OP- I am glad you are enjoying your PX-850; sounds like you picked the right piano for you. Could you let us know a little bit about the onboard amplification; how is the bass? Have you experimented with the lid settings- those look truly unique compared to others in the price range.

I myself rather play a good digital (such as my SP280 or PX130 etc..) than a mediocre acoustic. Actually i have not touched an acoustic in a while

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
T
Tritium Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by peterws
Don`t forget the pictures . . .

Hi Peterws,

Here is a pic I took a little early this afternoon. Incidentally, the small colored stickers are little Post-It stickers, I used to keep track of the parts and their relation to how they were originally packed in the crate...in case I needed to return the unit if I found a problem/defect. I forgot to take them off before taking the pic:

[Linked Image]

S
S
Tritium,

Very nice, congrats! Though it is hard to associate practising Chopin with those nice looking guitars... Enjoy your new instrument.

CA95, Sennheiser HD598
T
Tritium Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by semo
Tritium,

Very nice, congrats! Though it is hard to associate practising Chopin with those nice looking guitars... Enjoy your new instrument.

The first two guitars (sonic blue and candy apple red) are Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Strats. Believe it or not, my guitar playing is in the neo-classical / Yngwie style...so it all kind of fits in. That is not to say I can't play some mean ass blues (Clapton/SRV/Gilmour), when I feel like it. grin cool

Last edited by Tritium; 07/11/13 10:37 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by Tritium
The first two guitars (sonic blue and candy apple red) are Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Strats. Believe it or not, my guitar playing is in the neo-classical / Yngwie style...so it all kind of fits in. That is not to say I can't play some mean ass blues (Clapton/SRV/Gilmour), when I feel like it. grin cool

Awesome!!

CA95, Sennheiser HD598
T
Tritium Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Possum SP280Krome
OP- I am glad you are enjoying your PX-850; sounds like you picked the right piano for you. Could you let us know a little bit about the onboard amplification; how is the bass? Have you experimented with the lid settings- those look truly unique compared to others in the price range.

I myself rather play a good digital (such as my SP280 or PX130 etc..) than a mediocre acoustic. Actually i have not touched an acoustic in a while

Hi Possum,

Yes, I am very favorably impressed with the onboard speaker/sound system. This model can get crazy loud, and as such, I never have the volume dial set beyond noon (12:00) position. Like most DPs, it has line outs, so I could connect it also to my Yamaha MSR100 active monitor. However, I haven't felt the need to.

The onboard speakers/amplification provides more than enough volume...without even breaking a sweat. Mind you, my PX-850 is installed in a modest size room. Obviously, if you were performing in front of an audience, for example in a club or at a church, you would use an outboard active monitor/PA. But in that case, you probably would also be using a slab style unit (e.g. Casio PX-5S or Kawai ES7).

The lid simulator function seems a bit of a "gimmick", IMHO. I just leave it set to the full "open" position (which emulates a grand piano with fully open soundboard). What definitely is not a "gimmick", is the actual physical lid that can be opened on top of the piano console. These are two separate things, and I was at first confused by their similar wording. In any event, when you open up the physical "lid" on the PX-850 console, this directs some of the sound from the speakers directly back at you. It really makes a difference, and provides more ambience and a larger, more immersive soundscape. You also can hear the string and damper resonances better, which in my opinion helps provide a closer interaction and connection between the player and the piano.

The opening up of the top lid on the console, and resulting increase in sound projection, can be seen/heard in this video, at time stamp beginning around 08:00. The entire video is well worth watching (note, at one point, the reviewer accidentally calls the model the "830", but that was a mistake. It is the 850):

Casio PX-150/750/850 overview

Last edited by Tritium; 07/12/13 03:17 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission