2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (Alex Hutor, accordeur, anotherscott, Aritempor, ambrozy, bilb, Amy H, 16 invisible), 636 guests, and 629 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2087458 05/23/13 02:27 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi. smile

How do I record the original sound from my Roland FP7-F?

I've tried to connect it with a USB-cable to my computer, but the sound then comes from the computer-program and not the piano. And the computer-sound is awful compared to the beautiful sound from the Roland.

Regards
Jonas

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You need to plug in audio cables from the keyboard auxiliary outs to the computer's audio input. USB-out from the keyboard only carries MIDI, not the actual piano sound, so the computer must, by default, be substituting its own (inferior) piano sounds.

Once you've plugged the piano into the computer, you need to set the recording program you're using in the computer to receive the audio signal externally, rather then the internal sounds it's drawing on now (which are probably from a standard GM sound font).

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
The best way is to use an audio interface for your computer. Just plug your line outs into it and plug the interface into your computer via USB. There are many different ones available at many different price ranges depending on your needs. A cheap one usually provides satisfactory results for most people.

Art USB Mix audio interface

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
If I can do it, anyone can. Get thee the free "Audacity" downloaded. Throw it up on the screen. PLug a lead from your "line out" (stereo) on the Roland (You will get decent results from the headphone socket too) into the "Line In" on the computer.
The Audacity will pick up on the signal; you should see the red strips moving at the top. When you press the red recording button on Audacity, it will scroll across the screen; when your playing or Roland recording is in operation, this will be apparent. You`ll soon learn how to manage the result fit for Youtube or whatever!
Your piano is nice nice. Look forward to hearing it . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
...yes, that's like what I use: http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_302_usb.htm

But you still need to plug the piano's aux-outs into the audio inputs on the USB mixer - the mixer/interface then converts the signal back to digital via USB.

Otherwise, though, you can try using the sound card that is already installed in your computer - some of them are professional quality & very expensive, some are just about OK, but others don't cope well with line level inputs at all because they're designed for little more than microphones for skyping - it's a matter of experimenting with levels and the computer's drivers and control panel.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

J
OP Offline
J
Wow, you're fast in here!

Thanks for the answers. I think I'll try peterws's method first, and if the results aren't acceptable, a USB-soundcard might be the solution.

K
K
Most computers do not have "Line in". Do you mean the microphone in instead maybe?

Bosendorfer 185CS, Roland FP-7F, Yamaha PSR530
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, I mean microphone in. However, so many people seem to manage recording audio using standard sound cards in their laptops that I assume they must be using that (red 3.5mm jack) input. They may be able to do it by altering the volume OR the computer is somehow designed to recognize line level inputs.

...although I must admit, those inputs have never worked for me - I'm using an external interface.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Line in to the computer - it`s the connections in the back. on mine it`s stereo input; single (stereo) mini jack plug. Definitely not mic. That`s mono . . .yeeeeeuck! Doesn`t bear thinking about . .

I use a long cable permanently connected. The free end gets to go into the computer headphone socket . . .which is over the other end of the room!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
K
"Line in to the computer", I see. It must be on the sound card of a desktop computer. For laptop though, there is no such thing usually. For laptop, you have to rely on USB.

Bosendorfer 185CS, Roland FP-7F, Yamaha PSR530
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
OP Offline
J
I've made a little test where I use the Line-In on my computer.

You can listen to it here.(Only a part of the song)
https://soundcloud.com/jonas-sejersb-l-larsen/nothing-else-matters-sound

The sound is decent, though it was hard to control the volume of the piano. I've plugged a pair of headphones into the other output on the Roland. The volume in them was very high, but very low on the computer.

Last edited by JonasLarsen; 05/24/13 12:25 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
Sooo... One of these would be the best option? http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_302_usb.htm

M
M
You can adjust the input volume in Audacity (that's what you're using?). Still, the piano sound itself isn't the greatest. I have an older FP-7 and I bought it mainly for the feel, not the sound, because I knew I could use a software piano sound with it if I had to. You may want to try out some of the VSTs out there like Pianoteq, Galaxy, Ivory II (and I know I'm missing some here). Pianoteq has a free demo version which does have some sounds disabled, but you can really get a feel if you like it. The way these work is that you play your piano and the sound comes through the computer. There may be some latency (delay between when you hit the keys and when you hear the sound) which may take a bit of tweaking to resolve. The other option is you record your piano playing via MIDI (your USB) and then play it back using the VST sound. You can get some very high-quality piano sounds this way and all of these can be tweaked to get just the sound you are looking for.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Identifying Grieg Music!
by Amy H - 05/14/21 02:45 PM
Hand Development and the Thumb
by Ghostnotes - 05/14/21 02:41 PM
Interesting Craigslist find: Knabe Grand
by D.P. - 05/14/21 01:41 PM
Pipe Organ built into a house
by FrankCox - 05/14/21 12:59 PM
Rotatur cuff damage
by PhilipInChina - 05/14/21 11:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,931
Posts3,093,481
Members101,517
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission