2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
86 members (brdwyguy, AlphaBravoCharlie, Bruce In Philly, antune, 36251, 22 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 607 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
Originally Posted by newgeneration
Your budget allows you to shop around a little. You should be able to consider Yamaha grands (C1 and maybe C2's that are 10 years or newer and would be a great buy), along with new grands such as the new Ritmuller line (designed by Lotar Thomma).
Stay away from the temptation of going 'grey market' and if you go for a used Yamaha, make sure it was first sold in Canada by an authorized Canadian dealer (since you're in Toronto). For your budget, you do not need to incur the risk that often comes with going with a grey market Yamaha.

I do not know anything about the piano market in Canada, but I wholeheartedly agree with John's advice.

S
S
Check out Hailun grands too. You'd be surprised

PLEYEL P124
E
ec Offline
E
FWIW, I own a 1987 G2, purchased new in Winnipeg and moved to Los Angeles in 2000.
The piano has been well maintained over the years with regular tuning and voicing and regulation as needed. It's been played a lot-I completed both ARCT degrees, and hosted a student teacher performing group regularly while in Canada. Three years ago I started an amateur piano group here that meets monthly at my home. Everyone enjoys playing my piano-it holds its tune well and sounds like a much larger instrument in the large cathedral ceilinged room it now calls home. All this is to say, I've found my G-2 to be a solid and reliable piano that I'm really reluctant to part with, and prefer it to almost every other new small grand I've sampled recently.
We're in the process of acquiring a large Steinway, and if we can make the floor plans work, we'll be keeping the Yamaha too. If the '89 G-2 you're considering is anything like mine, it would be a great piano for your son.

ec
Long Beach, CA

Chopin - Nocturnes, Op. 62
Chopin, Fantaisie, Op. 49
Mozart - Fantasia, Op. 475; Sonata, C minor, K. 457
Bach -Toccata, D Major

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think there is some advantages in buying the upright and then later trading it in for a grand. Upgrading from a digital piano to a real piano, even if it is an upright, can be really exciting for a student, and can inspire them and reward them for keeping up their studies. Then in a couple of more years, you can upgrade to the grand and enjoy the next level of excitement. This "stepping up" approach can be a great way to keep the interest up.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by newgeneration
Originally Posted by Dale Fox
The GH1 has major scaling flaws that make it a non-candidate.

Also, refer to what terminaldegree said. Good advice.

Hey Dale, nothing a couple extra plate pins and wrapped bichords in the low tenor couldn't fix. smile

Actually, when you think about it, if the rest of the piano is in good shape - asking $6500, buy it for $6000 or less and pay a few hundred dollars to fix the low tenor with wrapped bichords instead of plain trichords, and presto, the GH1 becomes a respectable candidate for the price.

Yeah, that can make it better. But how many people will actually do the fix once they have the piano? :}

And it won't make the bass any better, even though you can alter the low tenor/cross-over issues. It's still just 4'10" long. But, I know what you mean.

Last edited by Dale Fox; 04/07/13 01:03 AM.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
G
Gayu1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Actually loved the sound of the GM10. It had a very warm and rounded sound. I. May go back and listen to the G2 and the GM 10 again. The other G2 I saw for a great deal didn't have the middle pedal. That dealer told me this was unnecessary, but I have learned otherwise. If its a piano I want the kids to learn on I think I should at least have the option.
The only thing that's holding me back on the GM10 is that I've read that pianos less than 5'6" are no good and if buying a grand one should at least start at 5 1/2'. The GM10 is 5' but sounds really good and like a 5'8" G2.

Last edited by Gayu1; 04/07/13 08:14 AM.

Gayu1
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, it sounds like you've made up your mind and found a piano you liked. The last piece of advice I'd offer would be to make sure you buy the floor model/display model instrument whose sound you liked so much, and NOT a different piano straight out of the crate that will not have been prepped by the dealer (not to mention pianos are variable from one to the next). Record the serial number of the one you like and make sure it's on the purchase order.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
S
S
Kawai are great choices. the difference is in the bass section (betwen a large grand vs baby grand). If you cannot play properly you can ask the sales to show/play you the difference.some baby grands do have acceptable bass, but still doesnt compare to their bigger brothers (in the same series).

PLEYEL P124
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gayu1
used Yamaha G2 (1989) ... This is available for about $9000, is this reasonable?

No, too much. A G2 should be around $7K.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
B
B
Actually loved the sound of the GM10. It had a very warm and rounded sound. I. May go back and listen to the G2 and the GM 10 again. The other G2 I saw for a great deal didn't have the middle pedal. That dealer told me this was unnecessary, but I have learned otherwise. If its a piano I want the kids to learn on I think I should at least have the option.
The only thing that's holding me back on the GM10 is that I've read that pianos less than 5'6" are no good and if buying a grand one should at least start at 5 1/2'. The GM10 is 5' but sounds really good and like a 5'8" G2.

Go by YOUR ear. Reading your post the GM10 is the one for you.

Remember that most of what you will read here is from folks that are VERY into pianos and have refined tastes. The booming base of a 9 foot grand is awesome, but unattainable for most of us and most music is higher in pitch anyway.

Bob

Kawai RX-2 Blak
Casio PX-350
G
Gayu1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks Bob. Should I be concerned about the 5' size at all? I don't see myself or my kids outgrowing it for the next 10 years I think. But if I have to keep it, I want to be sure it's not a lemon after a while.

The cheapest G2 I have seen is $9k and that had only 2 pedals. The asking price for a G2 here is around $10-11k. Is this just Canada?

Gayu1
B
B
Thanks Bob. Should I be concerned about the 5' size at all? I don't see myself or my kids outgrowing it for the next 10 years I think. But if I have to keep it, I want to be sure it's not a lemon after a while.

The cheapest G2 I have seen is $9k and that had only 2 pedals. The asking price for a G2 here is around $10-11k. Is this just Canada?

I can't comment on prices of used pianos (well I could but not very accurately).

Based on your comments you should be fine with the 5' grand. Go for it! Might a high quality upright have better sound? Maybe. Are you going to know if you don't have both to compare side by side? Doubt it.

Might be good so look farther back on the forums and see other posts by posters that are like you and bought "smaller" pianos. I think all of them are very happy.

Bob
(Buy what sounds good to you guy)

PS. Now that I have purchased my first piano the next one will be much easier...

Kawai RX-2 Blak
Casio PX-350
G
Gayu1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
You are right Bob. I just need to take the plunge now. I think the Kawai GM10 is the one for us.
Thanks
Gay

Gayu1
S
S
a used RX-2 (post year 2000) is in the upper range of your budget. I think its a much better piano. Otherwise GM10 is great for the money.

PLEYEL P124
Go for Yamaha G2. It is more stimulating instrument than the G1 model.Great feel. Good sound. Good bass. An impressive model altogether.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,115
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission