2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
47 members (BWV846, Alex Hutor, CaseyVancouver, Bruce In Philly, Abdol, Damien PG, chung_chang, Carey, 13 invisible), 827 guests, and 556 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
Intel Core 2 Duo 2,1 GHz
2 GB RAM

Any input much appreciated!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I can't comment on the mac book.
But Vintage D runs under Kontakt 5 on my 7 year old Duo 1.7 GHz, 2 GB RAM (Windows XP).

W
W
Providing your are running OSX 10.5 or later you should be alright - 2GB is a little tight on RAM though.

willf
E
OP Offline
E
Interesting. Yeah, getting a PC laptop on the cheap is definitely an alternative for me, if it turns out the MacBook is too weak.

Out of curiosity; do you have to worry about getting some kind of external soundcard with a PC laptop, to run sample libraries like this one? WIth the MacBook I don't need to worry about anything like that.

Thanks!

E
OP Offline
E
I run 10.7.

2 GB is the official "minimum requirement", so I realize it might be a bit tight. What would be the symptoms to look out for? Audio cracks?

Thank you.

Can't you just upgrade the ram to 4gb?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
W
W
Audio 'pops' and loss of polyphony (note dropping)especially when using sustain. With 4GB no such problems.

willf
On a PC ... some people get good results with the PC built-in sound card. Other people don't.

I'm in the latter category. So I added a Presonus Audiobox. Partly for sound quality, but mostly to reduce the latency. (Laptops have lame sound cards ... the latency was intolerable.)
Originally Posted by eagleleo
Do you have to worry about getting some kind of external soundcard with a PC laptop, to run sample libraries like this one?

MacMacMac, previously I tried VD from a Dell Latitude 620 6 ys. old I think 2,2Ghz dual core laptop and from my 4-5 ys. old QuadCore desktop (about the same nominal CPU clock).

Both systems had 7200rpm HD, 4GB RAM, 32 Bit Win7, used with the same EMU0404USB2 audio interface and driver - with and without DAW (Reaper).

There WAS a definitive difference in performance, possible latency, cracks and hisses were much earlier on the laptop. I wasn't able to set e.g. "perfect resampling algorithm" in Kontakt on the laptop for low performance.

Temperament: What OS were you running on that Dell 620? Windows XP will run well there. Windows 7 might be marginal ... or might be just fine.

More importantly: You need an ASIO driver to fix the crackling (regardless of which Windows version you use), and you must configure the ASIO settings appropriately. A larger ASIO buffer will eliminate the crackling, but will increase the latency. So you increase the buffer size until you get crackle-free performance. Then you have to judge whether the latency is satisfactory.

I could not get good latency from the laptop's sound card, so I had to buy an external USB-attached device (Presonus Audiobox).

I have no experience with your EMU card. But if it has an ASIO driver, it should work okay.

It worked just fine with both own EMU driver and ASIO4ALL.

I have got audibly better sound out of the EMU ASIO driver than from ASIO4ALL.

On the desktop I could use it with 192kbit, which produced also slightly but audibly and consistently better sound output than all other bitrate below that (even if the native bitrate was 44100 or 88200, not a whole fraction of the 192kb.). I believe, it is not because of the theoretically better resolution, but how the EMU HW+driver handle oversampling/downsampling.

I could go to 4 ms (in sum 8+ ms) on the desktop, while 6 ms for the same parameter was critical on the Dell. as said, both machines were at last running Windows 7 32 Bit. (Previously XP).

I dont have the latitude 620 anymore (instead of it a new E5430 4 core I5, where I have installed only PT yet).

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Bottomline: those of you who own Galaxy Vintage D, would you recommend it?

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Definitely. It's one of the best out there (if not the best), and one of the least expensive.

+1 VD is of High Quality but to get the best result out of it I've used it as a VSTi from within Reaper and with the spatialiser ReaSorround coming with reaper. (Theorized over this in earlier threads, meaning that the burnt in single sound perspective has to be remixed by some processing to break it to a more living sample. This is a common shortcoming with most sampled SW-instruments.)
I also used extra speakers + sub to this end.

Acoustic: own clavichord!, Burger&Jacoby,Biel (nice vintage vertical)
Digital: CA65; Pianoteq; Sampled:Galaxy VintageD+Vienna(Bösendorfer)
Sampletekk Black,PMI, etc...
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs
E
OP Offline
E
How do you feel VD compares to PianoTeq? I actually have PianoTeq 4, but can't stand the sound of it.

Thanks!

I must defend the PT4 merits. These lie in something described as good playability. If You just listen to sound demos, PT is inferior, but I play much of Bachs music with it to great pleasure. Plus the historical instruments there is not a gap sound-wise, because these are on DPs not very good. (Beside of PT I am using "the Dutch" Harpsichord of the Baurmann Edition with Kontakt, but had to add heavy scripts to get realistic sympathetic resonance from it.)

The best Pianoteq piano for me is the recent Free addition Bösendorfer (emulated on the basis of their Blüthner) - with download and MP3 sound Demo.

It sounds even better for me than their original Blüthner, being the Bösendorfer a dark sounding instrument, so attack details (the weak point of PT) are not that a concern.

It is not clear, whether you need a Blüthner licence to be able to load this .fxp instrument, or it was just the starting point in the process of preparing it. (I have the Blüthner and could load it of course - but without it?)

PT has the better sound conversion implementation for chosing temperaments, and a series of obvious advantages, but Vintage D rules sound wise (if you listen to a music rendered from MIDI, e.g.). But it has to be "treated" with some setting and arrengement to get optimal results, as I did.

Pianoteq has to be improve on the short attack emulation to get rid of some plasticly and flat character in the upper middle.

You don't have with either the choice the perfect instrument... but you have 2 good approximations.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Temperament

+1 VD is of High Quality but to get the best result out of it I've used it as a VSTi from within Reaper and with the spatialiser ReaSorround coming with reaper. (Theorized over this in earlier threads, meaning that the burnt in single sound perspective has to be remixed by some processing to break it to a more living sample. This is a common shortcoming with most sampled SW-instruments.)

I disagree. I think it sounds terrific as it is and needs no additional enhancement. Some of my friends even prefer it with all "spatial enhancements" (reverb, etc.) turned off for my living room. I prefer a minimal amount of built-in reverb processing.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
A
A
WIth the MacBook I don't need to worry about anything like that.

Originally Posted by Macy

I disagree. I think it sounds terrific as it is and needs no additional enhancement. Some of my friends even prefer it with all "spatial enhancements" (reverb, etc.) turned off for my living room. I prefer a minimal amount of built-in reverb processing.

But did You ever give it a try what I recommended?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Macy

But did You ever give it a try what I recommended?

Nope, and I'm sure you like it better as you described. But I could test hundreds of plug-ins with it that someone or another says they like. I don't believe it is necessary at all. It sounds terrific as it is. So I'm simply disagreeing with your statement "single sound perspective has to be remixed by some processing to break it to a more living sample. This is a common shortcoming with most sampled SW-instruments." I don't hear any "shortcoming" of this nature with the Vintage D (or Ivory II American D, etc.). So if it ain't broke I ain't trying to fix it.

I think the Vintage D is amazing. It actually played a part in my decision to not buy a Steinway acoustic a while back. But that's a long story for another day.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Juggling Piano!
by Sam S - 06/14/21 07:25 PM
Please help: Kawai ST-1 (institutional) or K-300?
by SantaCecilia - 06/14/21 07:11 PM
Kawai VPC1 velocity curve
by luigigiul76 - 06/14/21 06:17 PM
Quality of the piano dealership shop
by lct14558 - 06/14/21 05:58 PM
Studio piano vsts? eg Ivory, Alicia's Keys
by MarkOfJohnson - 06/14/21 05:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,515
Posts3,103,690
Members101,811
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission