2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2046569 03/11/13 05:02 PM
R
RosieP Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi,

I am starting my search for a grand, knowing that it could be a long process. I have identified 3 interesting used pianos and I wondered about everyone's opinion:

1. Baldwin SF-10 1985 - well maintained from new, but not rebuilt $11,750

2.C Bechstein Model A 1902 - rebuilt in 1998. $7,000

3. Heintzman & Co 5' 4" baby grand 1940 - some work done(hammers and keytops replaced) and refinished 25 years ago. $8,000

All 3 pianos look to be in good condition and are from private owners. I would get my tech to check them all out, but I would value your comments on price etc.

I have also been thinking about new and have considered Kawai, Ritmuller, Brodmann, and Hailun.

I know that most people on this forum suggest buying new, but something keeps drawing me back to these older pianos.

Many thanks for your help

Rosie

J
J
Rosie,

Have you played them? Do play as many as you can - one will be the perfect piano for you - maybe new - maybe used.

Have fun!
Jonathan

R
RosieP Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi Jonathan,

I haven't played them yet. Because of the distance involved I was going to get a tech to check out a couple of favourites and then make the final decision. It will probably be a weekend full of piano playing!

Thanks,
Wendy

J
J
Wendy,

Not sure how much your tech charges, but it could get expensive having him/her check them out first.

When I was shopping, I played maybe 15-20 pianos and then had my tech check out the one used piano I was considering. Cost about $100 for that one. (I ended up going with a new Ritmuller instead.)

Jonathan

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
1. Baldwin SF-10 1985 - well maintained from new, but not rebuilt $11,750

I like!

R
RosieP Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi Mark,

That's the one I favour too! Now I just have to persuade my better half that 7 feet is "not that big"!

Cheers,
Rosie

R
RosieP Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the advice Jonathan - I will bear that in mind.

Rosie

D
D
Not knowing anything else, I'd choose #1. It has way more potential for giving you pleasure. I'd probably go with that over a new Brodmann or Ritmuller. But you may have to put more money into it to get it in tip top shape.

Bechsteins from that era are usually just for looks.

With #3 you are paying $KK for the looks rather than the touch and tone.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
If it passes a thorough inspection, without a doubt, I would go for No. 1.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I, obviously, would favor the Baldwin SF-10.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Prestonscan,
On the SF-10, be sure to the tech evaluates the soundboard to rim glue joints. I have seen several where this is failing, seemingly from the factory. Also the bridge can split where the capo bar section ends and the agraffe section begins.

The other two listed I would not consider until I have eliminated the SF-10. But with old used pianos each one is an individual case and general statements have many caveats and exceptions.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
S
S
7 feet really is "not that big"! I find that a grand piano always looks smaller once it's in the home than it does in one's imagination beforehand. My non-pianist husband agrees on this experience. (We're not at 7 feet, but bigger than ever before.)

1989 Baldwin L

R
RosieP Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the advice Ed. I will certainly pass that info on to the tech.

R
RosieP Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Guapo,

I notice that your Baldwin is a similar vintage to the one I am considering. Have you had any work done on yours since you bought it? Anything I should know?

Thanks!

A
A
It has way more potential for giving you pleasure.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scout
7 feet really is "not that big"! I find that a grand piano always looks smaller once it's in the home than it does in one's imagination beforehand. My non-pianist husband agrees on this experience. (We're not at 7 feet, but bigger than ever before.)

Maybe because my condo is quite small, but my 5'2" grand looks much bigger here than at the dealer's.

If I was a rational person, I'd trade it in on a higher quality upright.

Gary
S
S
Oh yes, of course, always bigger at home than at the dealer's--but not always bigger than what the imagination does with it before it gets home.

1989 Baldwin L

dsch #2047864 03/13/13 08:31 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dsch
Not knowing anything else, I'd choose #1. It has way more potential for giving you pleasure. I'd probably go with that over a new Brodmann or Ritmuller. But you may have to put more money into it to get it in tip top shape.

Bechsteins from that era are usually just for looks.

With #3 you are paying $KK for the looks rather than the touch and tone.

Far from the truth, if the Bechstein has been rebuilt in 98 then is definitely worth a second look from a qualified tech. Also double check the year on the Bech, most often people confuse the case# from the serial#. The case# is etched underneath the piano in the wood and the serial would be on metal plate looking down from the top. Most old Bechs no longer have that plate. I just bought what was first believed a 1889 Bech that turned out to be a 1905, definite plus for me.

I think first you should narrow down the sound and feel you are looking for then go from there. You will find no shortage of pianos to choose from.

M
M
I like your list and the combination of new and used you're looking at. Like folks above, I'd encourage you to try as many as you can, narrow your list, and then pick a favorite. If one of the used ones, make sure to have it checked out with a fine tooth comb. If one of the new, be sure you're working with a good dealer.

Looking forward to hearing how this adventure turns out.

Mike

If you're bored, try my blog (mostly faith & family): http://mikeheel.wordpress.com.
L
L
I was in the same boat you are in just 6 short weeks ago. I started out perusing the craiglist ads hoping to save some money but actually never went to a private home. The first dealer I went to was a Steinway dealer. Obviously Steinways are out of my price range but they also sold Kawai and Kohler Campbell. Kohler Campbells were not for me so I was leaning towards a new baby grand Kawai. The next dealer was a Yamaha dealer and I discovered I didn't care for Yamaha's but I played a Baldwin L (6'3") built in 1950. The Baldwin had been redone. The sound was exquisite, unlike anything I had heard before or since. After thinking it over for a few days I had it delivered and couldn't be happier. It all comes down to what sounds good to you.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission