2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1993256 12/01/12 04:50 PM
H
OP Offline
H
We brought our child to try the new Kawai K-5 and K-6. She somehow like the touch and the feel of the K-6 instead of the K-5. She said the K-5 is harder for her to do the dynamics. She plays at Grade 4-5. Both sound good and I know they are well made piano and we like the firmer action of the K series which will be good for her serious piano training. But the dilemma is K-6 costs $2000 more than the K-5. She actually chose the K-6 instead of the baby grand GM-12, so I know she is serious about the touch and feel, instead of liking a grand that looks better. If we purchase, we will purchase the exact floor model she tried.

Are the touch and feel of each K-5 the same? Is it a good idea to bring her to "another" Kawai dealer and so she can try "another" floor sample of K-5 and K-6? I mean is it possible the touch and feel may be slightly different, so maybe there is a chance she will like the K-5 better?

Her teacher insists she need a new piano that has firmer action for finger training. We tried Yamaha last week, Yamaha seemed to advertise light touch. We read Kawai seems to have firmer action which may be good for her serious finger training.

Thanks for any feedback and advice.
hkginger

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hello hkginger and welcome to the Pianoworld forum!

The Kawai K-6 may be $2000 more, but it will be at least $2000 better. It has slightly longer strings as a 52"vertical piano, which are an advantage over the shorter, 49" K-5. There are also other musical refinements which your daughter at her Grade 4-5 level can discern.

Piano buying wisdom is that you should always buy the best piano that you can afford and not cut corners just to save money.

Good luck with your decision!

Robert.

H
OP Offline
H
Thank you Robert:))))

K5 has same harp as k3 apparently.... the millenium action was consistent between the three k3's i chose from.... and my teachers baby yamaha grand has a firmer touch than the kawai... all k series use the same action i thought....

And the action is absolutely fantastic imho.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
It has been a while since I have been in a Kawai dealer and tried them, but as I recall

A K3 is a real nice vertical piano

A K5 is a really really nice vertical piano

A K6 is a professional grade, killer piano

As I recall

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks, UK Paul UK.

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks... We are leaning to K-6...

M
M
touch sensitivity can fluctuate between models. but in my other reply on the topic i'd only imagine fluctuating 1+, 1- for the K series. meaning if you try a K5 at one dealer it may feel like a 6 (1-10 scale, 1 being lightest, 10 being heaviest). at another dealer it may feel like a 5. i don't think it would hurt to least try another dealer? just to be sure.

you really can't go wrong. The K series of verticals are all nice/well built instruments with features for specific price ranges.

My music_website at http://www.OdysseyofaG.com
H
OP Offline
H
thanks again , monads.

H
OP Offline
H
Decision! Decision! My husband and I have decided to buy a new Kawai upright K-6 that our daughter like at the reputable dealer in NJ here this Saturday.
Thank you all for your advice and feedback.

R
R
So did you get the piano?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Good going, hkginger! You have done all the sensible things while shopping, and it is wonderful that you are doing this for your daughter.

If I have one suggestion, it would be to write down the serial number of the piano you selected in the store, and be sure that you compare it when the piano is delivered to be sure you receive the same instrument (also, that it is the same number which appears on the invoice). It is just a slight precaution, which sometimes people don't think of.

The K-6 is a lovely piano. I would think twice myself, as you have, to be sure my money was spent wisely. It is my opinion that it is, if your budget can manage it. If that's the case, you will enjoy the better quality for many years--- long after the sacrifice has eased. You may never mention it again, but you will feel pride in your heart that you have done the best that you could for your child, even though it was hard.

I do not suggest that anyone buy a piano that puts them in financial trouble, and the K-5 is a fine instrument, if that's the case. Only you can decide this. Either way, tuning and maintaining it regularly (especially for the first several years) will help you to get the best out of your piano. A qualified piano technician can make the slight adjustments to the action and voicing so that your daughter's piano plays evenly and sings out in a beautiful voice.

We love to see photos posted here of people's new pianos, so...

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 12/11/12 09:24 AM.

Clef

H
OP Offline
H
In response to Rafterman and Jeff Clef: We brought our daughter back to the same NJ dealer last Saturday, she played on both K-5 and K-6 and she still picked the K-6, so we purchased it. It will be delivered tomorrow morning.
So far we have good experience with this dealer in NJ-no sales tactics, staff are patient and knowledgeable, gave us a good sale price to begin with; then when we went back and told them we are ready to buy, owner gave us another discount plus 2 free tuning.
We didn't bring our daughter to try another Kawai dealer! Partly because they are an hour away , it's hard to drive a 3 and 6 year old that far just to try out the K-5 and K-6 again!!! And some small dealer don't even stock K-6 as they sell a lot of K-3!!!
Let's see how it goes tomorrow.
Thank you all. I hope my daughter Faith will enjoy this piano for years to come. Next week, we will be selling our 2 year old Yamaha Arius YDP-141 either on Craiglist or to church friend-- she has our grown it:)

Last edited by hkginger; 12/12/12 12:22 AM.
H
OP Offline
H
thank you Furtwangler:)))

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by hkginger
thank you Furtwangler:)))

You are most welcome. Your giving the gift of music to your child is all the thanks I need.

Enjoy it for a lifetime.

I know I have.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...We didn't bring our daughter to try another Kawai dealer! Partly because they are an hour away , it's hard to drive a 3 and 6 year old that far just to try out the K-5 and K-6 again!!! And some small dealer don't even stock K-6 as they sell a lot of K-3!!!..."

If you are satisfied with the closer and more convenient dealer, I don't see why you should make the trip. It will not only be easier for you to test and buy the piano, but it will also be easier for them to provide service, answer questions, etc. I was quite satisfied--- more than satisfied--- with my local seller, who is just across town.

Hey--- just in time for your daughter to practice Christmas carols! Have you found your local sheet music store?

Clef

H
OP Offline
H
Piano was tuned before delivery. Yesterday, K-6 arrived, it sounded perfectly whole day just like it was at the dealer floor. Today, I notice it MAY BE slightly out of tune/sound a bit different. I called dealer and I was told that piano is adjusting the environment, let my pianist play it as much as she can; Tech will call to schedule tuning in 7-10 days after delivery.

I have house temperature at 62-63 at night. At night, it is colder as we don't turn the heat to high. At day it is about 67. Should I buy a cover to cover the piano at night? Piano is 7 feet away from big windows and 4 inches away from wall. I have blocked the hot force air vent completely behind the piano. Am I doing everything right for the new piano?

Anyways, my daughter enjoys this K-6 very much.
When is your first time of tuning after delivery? How many time you have it tuned the first year? Is my house environment all right for the piano?

hkginger

Last edited by hkginger; 12/13/12 03:24 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Congratulations on the arrival of your new piano!

Humidity changes have more of an effect on pianos than moderate temperature changes. Unless you have some humidity control in your house, it would be advisable to check the humidity levels as a significant change in humidity will have a very noticeable effect on the tuning.

Your dealer may be the best person to ask as he or she should be aware of your local conditions.

Enjoy your beautiful new piano!

Kind regards,

Robert.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
hkginger - Congratulations on your new piano!

Calm down, you are doing everything just fine and are receiving good recommendations. Robert 45's caution about humidity control is well founded. It is worth discussing with your dealer and the tuner who will be tuning your piano.

Waiting 2-4 weeks for the first tuning on the piano is wise advice. It just takes some time for the piano to become accustomed to the environment in your home. Tuning it now will do no harm, but it will still be adjusting and will need to be re-tuned soon. Slightly out of tune is usually still very playable.

The general thinking on the tuning schedule for a new piano is to have it tuned four times in the first year. After that, twice a year is recommended.

Usually there is no need for a full piano cover for a home instrument.

Now, let your daughter fully enjoy her new piano!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
H
OP Offline
H
Thank you, Robert 45!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission